Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2023)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2023, 1:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
This might not be new knowledge but I'd like to share.
I've been monitoring TYO-HKG, and it seems new seats are released 720 hours (30 days) prior to scheduled departure time. You will see availability rolling out throughout the day on AS website, instead of all seats being released at once for the date.
I can't say to what extend this is applicable to other routes. Hope this helps.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Agosti
This might not be new knowledge but I'd like to share.
I've been monitoring TYO-HKG, and it seems new seats are released 720 hours (30 days) prior to scheduled departure time. You will see availability rolling out throughout the day on AS website, instead of all seats being released at once for the date.
I can't say to what extend this is applicable to other routes. Hope this helps.
That's interesting, I base YYZ and besides JFK - NRT or HND, really considering YYZ - HKG - TYO. cause the F and J from JL are so hard to get a seat.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by davidlin15
That's interesting, I base YYZ and besides JFK - NRT or HND, really considering YYZ - HKG - TYO. cause the F and J from JL are so hard to get a seat.
My experience is quite the contrary. CX's long-haul F/J space has almost ceased to exist, whilst JL has been somewhat reliably releasing close-in seats. I've seen 4 J seats on SFO-HND released at once by JL 30 days prior to departure on a not-so-empty flight. But they disappeared quickly. Either someone at JL hit a wrong button and then noticed, or someone else grabbed all other 3 seats that I didn't grab.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 5:16 pm

My experience is quite the contrary. CX's long-haul F/J space has almost ceased to exist, whilst JL has been somewhat reliably releasing close-in seats. I've seen 4 J seats on SFO-HND released at once by JL 30 days prior to departure on a not-so-empty flight. But they disappeared quickly. Either someone at JL hit a wrong button and then noticed, or someone else grabbed all other 3 seats that I didn't grab.
Haha, they are sold fast! I mean CX or JL or even NH we need to plan ahead at least 8 to 9 months, at least that's my case.
east coast for CX at least BOS has some spot
Old Feb 13, 2023, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Yep...CX long haul J awards are essentially gone...quite plentiful just about a month or so ago.
onetouchpass likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Yep...CX long haul J awards are essentially gone...quite plentiful just about a month or so ago.
Secured BOS - HKG and HKG - YYZ last Dec, act fast!
Old Feb 14, 2023, 12:35 am

Haha, they are sold fast! I mean CX or JL or even NH we need to plan ahead at least 8 to 9 months, at least that's my case.
That's something I used to do one pandemic ago. Nowadays I simply don't make definitive travel plans that far in advance. Fortunately I tend to travel during lower seasons with flexible dates. Close-in catches would work for me just fine. The only downside is that it is difficult to find good seats, but at least I can afford expertflyer.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Secured BOS - HKG and HKG - YYZ last Dec, act fast!
That was back in December but now CX J is not even available when the schedule opens on AS.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 7:27 am

I remember seeing lots of availability on CX a few months ago and now they are all gone. Really hoping that they'll bring some back...really hoping to book something for the fall.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 7:42 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL GM
It looks like there are currently several days in mid-August that have F award space available on CX from LAX-HKG; sadly my trip isn't until September.

ft543 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
That was back in December but now CX J is not even available when the schedule opens on AS.
I think it's the AS problem, Asia Miles has a lot of availabilities. and AS phantom availability is a pain in the ....
Old Feb 14, 2023, 8:29 am

That's something I used to do one pandemic ago. Nowadays I simply don't make definitive travel plans that far in advance. Fortunately I tend to travel during lower seasons with flexible dates. Close-in catches would work for me just fine. The only downside is that it is difficult to find good seats, but at least I can afford expertflyer.
I mean if they have tons of availabilities why book that early and Expertflyer doesn't have CX right, but if you secured one seat, def cover your subscriptions.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 3:45 pm

Question about PAX protection on a AS award ticket operated by CX

I booked a US-bound AS award ticket which is operated by CX, CX840 specifically as it is the only option now for the Oct time window

I checked flight history that only CX844 is in operation now, and CX840 is out of operation since May 2022.

CX CSR is not much helpful, and I am wondering what would be the PAX protection policy (even anecdote DP) over this kind of ticket if CX decides later not to resume CX840, what is the earliest time I should have info about CX's flight schedule, and who I should deal with directly AS or CX.

Thanks
Old Feb 20, 2023, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Alaska issued the ticket. Cathay does not control the ticket until day of flight. You go to Alaska if/when there’s schedule change.

This has been extensively discussed in the CX award thread (CX having a fake schedule and downhill effects on AS tickets), and I’m going to see if this can be moved there…
Old Feb 22, 2023, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Post about CX phantom schedule makes me to check our BOS-HKG, HKG-NRT trip in Sept on CX site.

This was booked in January for Sept travel. CX site now said "Ticket not Issued" but it shows "Confirmed" on all segments (BOS-HKG, HKG-NRT) ? I cannot remember seeing such notation. Is this a known glitch? I mean, no way the reservation can still be there when booked / ticketed on January 5th - if tickets not issued, the reservation would be long gone, right?

The return of NRT-HKG, HKG-BOS in Oct does not have the "ticket not issued" notation, all segments show "confirmed".

Should I contact CX to find out if it is really "Ticket not issued" on the outbound? Or this has been a known display glitch on CX site?

Update
False Alarm. I was able to request eTickets emailed to me. The AS tickets are emailed by CX system - all are good! That said, I really hate to have booked flights so early - it is bound to have many flight schedule changes for actual travel 9 months old...

Last edited by Happy; Feb 22, 2023 at 5:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.