Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2023)

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2023, 8:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL Platinum,WN A-list, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by nologic
I certainly done this before without any issue… Boston to Hkg.

Not sure if you consider August close in

and there’s no space on JAL as well, and they only have business class
That's close-in for summer travel.

You would get lucky to get CX J/F long haul with AS miles for 330 days out, not to mention for summer travel in 2-3 months.

People on this thread report J/F draught on CX for months now.
Old May 22, 2023, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by oneworld_wanderer;[url=tel:35271337
35271337[/url]]That's close-in for summer travel.

You would get lucky to get CX J/F long haul with AS miles for 330 days out, not to mention for summer travel in 2-3 months.

People on this thread report J/F draught on CX for months now.
oh, that’s terrible… Just when you want to use the miles, you can’t! I was hoping this is one of the situations we need to call the Alaska Airlines white mile desk to find the space for either CX or JAL.

are these flights really that fall from Boston?
Old May 22, 2023, 9:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
oh, that’s terrible… Just when you want to use the miles, you can’t! I was hoping this is one of the situations we need to call the Alaska Airlines white mile desk to find the space for either CX or JAL.

are these flights really that fall from Boston?
You do realize that CX is a skeleton of what it was pre-pandemic? Capacity is at best 40% of what it was and aircraft with an F cabin are mostly sitting on the ground. Even JFK is currently being served with an A350 without an F cabin.

Unlike pre-pandemic, JL has been releasing F & J award space 2 weeks out. If you can travel within that time frame, you are more likely to find something to at least TYO; beyond that could be a challenge even if you are Ok with Main inter-Asia.

James
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 22, 2023, 9:43 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, National Exec
Tens of thousands of Cathay flights in economy have just been booked in the last week courtesy of the HKG Airport Authority free ticket giveaway.

I'm sure that has reduced availability.
Old May 23, 2023, 7:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun;[url=tel:35271353
35271353[/url]]You do realize that CX is a skeleton of what it was pre-pandemic? Capacity is at best 40% of what it was and aircraft with an F cabin are mostly sitting on the ground. Even JFK is currently being served with an A350 without an F cabin.

Unlike pre-pandemic, JL has been releasing F & J award space 2 weeks out. If you can travel within that time frame, you are more likely to find something to at least TYO; beyond that could be a challenge even if you are Ok with Main inter-Asia.

James
No, I didn’t realize any of that. So demand is radically too?
Old May 23, 2023, 9:57 am

this is current CX Y n PE fare (round trip) for Aug 15 departure , Aug 29 return.

DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 23, 2023, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
You do realize that CX is a skeleton of what it was pre-pandemic? Capacity is at best 40% of what it was and aircraft with an F cabin are mostly sitting on the ground. Even JFK is currently being served with an A350 without an F cabin.

James
100%.

Demand is high because HKG is open now but the network is still not normal, and every AM member (and Avios member) gets access to that inventory a month or so before any AA/AS member. Pretty much a recipe for very limited award supply.

Also HKG ends up being a connection point into China because traffic to China is still not normal. It's going to help CX's finances but they certainly don't need to give away a ton of seats.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old May 23, 2023, 4:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Kenya Airways Gold
What date class does JAL use for first awards? I tried both A and Z but my EF alerts keep saying there’s space when there isn’t
Old May 25, 2023, 3:47 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by oneworld_wanderer
It will be very hard. It's basically re-book and I doubt award space will be made available once you cancelled the old tickets.
Originally Posted by kindagot
Thanks, yes I think the award space will not get released back if I cancel.
Same experience, once you cancel, those are gone. So be very careful when rebook. However, my rebook all went well, i change the date and final destination for the second leg to mainland China while leaving the lax-hkg the same.

Probably not an issue for people here, but ensure you speak Cantonese or English. Discrimination against Mandarin speakers runs in their blood and finally had some attention the past few days lol.
Old May 25, 2023, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by simonsuo
Same experience, once you cancel, those are gone. So be very careful when rebook. However, my rebook all went well, i change the date and final destination for the second leg to mainland China while leaving the lax-hkg the same.

Probably not an issue for people here, but ensure you speak Cantonese or English. Discrimination against Mandarin speakers runs in their blood and finally had some attention the past few days lol.
Was there anything in particular you did to ensure that the rebook goes well? And agent doesn’t do a cancel and rebook?
Old May 25, 2023, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by ItsAnAdam
What date class does JAL use for first awards? I tried both A and Z but my EF alerts keep saying there’s space when there isn’t
My booking says A
Old May 25, 2023, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by ItsAnAdam
ExpertFlyer does not support JAL award searches. I believe the current F awards book into A class but the awards are a subset of the revenue A class so you will never know how many awards are available by searching for a revenue A (or Z) class which is obviously what you are doing since EF does not support searching for JAL award space.

Check the ExpertFlyer FAQ for a link to the currently supported airlines (which is probably not completely accurate because ExperFlyer has gone downhill since TPG took it over a few years ago and they don't care).

EF FAQ:
https://www.expertflyer.com/expertflyer-support-faq

Look under:
Which airlines do you show award and upgrade classes for?
You can view the list of airlines by clicking here. Please note, this is just the list of airline we support the special award and upgrade classes for, we support searching for regular availablity classes and fares for over 400 airlines.
You will note JAL is not on the list of airlines supported for award searches.

ItsAnAdam likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by i_like_the_free_pretzels
I reached MVPG (OneWorld Sapphire) a week ago, and today I booked a couple of CX award flights scheduled for October this year, but I’m unable to select a seat in advance.

They’re X fares, so am I not able to select a seat regardless of OneWorld status or is there a delay in Cathay Pacific receiving notification from Alaska about my new status?

I see in the chart on Cathay Pacific’s website that OW Sapphire gets free advanced seat selection, but I’m not sure if that applies to their X fares.
I’m having the same issue. Can’t select seat (oneworld ruby)

getting this error: Online seat selection is not available. Please contact your booking agent for further assistance.
Old May 26, 2023, 11:24 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by southbeach82
Was there anything in particular you did to ensure that the rebook goes well? And agent doesn’t do a cancel and rebook?
the website self-change worked well for me surprisingly. I just pick the second leg on the change page. I can't remember if I called in or not, probably I did, but it went well.
Old May 26, 2023, 5:52 pm

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Issue with CX Alaska Awards (won't transmit middle name on face of ticket)

Has anyone had experience with this?

Just redeemed a Mileage Plan award on CX using alaskair.com. My middle name was included (as always) as part of my specific passenger details (as well as my profile, which I know is separate) when I booked, but CX says Alaska didn't transmit it (CX only shows my first and last name). I got a warning message on the CX website when I went to manage my booking and add emergency contact info that my passport has my middle name but the passenger ticket name that Alaska sent over does not (Alaska only sent over my first and last name).

Called MVP line and got the Partner Desk. They said the middle name isn't required on the ticket as long as the APIS info has it (they saw my middle name in there), but their general notes for all CX bookings it to instruct the pax to call CX and if they have an issue with it to call AS back. I called CX right after and they said Alaska will need to change it to include the middle name. I called the MVP line back right after and they placed me on hold and spoke to the Partner Desk again for me. The agent came back and said that the middle name is deeper in the reservation when you open it, but it does not appear on the face of the ticket, which is why CX may be having an issue with it. The Partner Desk agreed to queue up a name change and send it over to CX. They weren't sure how long it will take CX to process this, but said I will get an email once it's been updated. They suggested waiting 7 business days since the trip is a few months away (they said CX Reservations may focus more on tickets queued up for earlier departures but I can always call AS back if I haven't gotten an email about it).

I know USCIS doesn't care that much about this for US citizens as long as the middle name is in the APIS info that gets transmitted to them (flown out of the country on AS metal many times and know some Customs supervisors), but it's up to CX on whether they are comfortable with boarding a pax since the risk is entirely on them.

The booking is a one way from HKG-SFO so I'd rather not find out the hard way that AS was wrong and be trying to get a hold of them in the middle of the night.

Just was curious if anyone else has encountered this issue with Mileage Plan awards on Cathay Pacific (I'm sure there a decent # of folks here who have redeemed on them who have a middle name in their passenger details when booking).

Thanks so much as always!

Last edited by John26; May 26, 2023 at 5:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.