Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

I Got/Didn't Get MVP/Gold/75K Upgrade on AS (2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
Please post your upgrade successes & failures including:

Date
Route (Please bold if failure)
Flight Number
Status (MVP, Gold or 75K)
Fare Class
Add companion, if there was one
Time the upgrade cleared or position on waitlist if didn't clear
Date of ticket purchase

Examples:
2/2/20 SEA-ANC AS 67 75K Upgrade cleared at T-120 hours
2/19/20 MSY-SEA AS 887 MVPG Didn't clear 4/22 on waitlist
Print Wikipost

I Got/Didn't Get MVP/Gold/75K Upgrade on AS (2020)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2020, 4:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
3/7
AS1994
Sister is on the second leg of her BOS-SEA-SJC flight on her way to SJC. I used one of my GGUs to upgrade her BOS-SEA flight and kept checking but no U space became available
L class ticket. Bought 2 weeks ago.
She’s MVP (thanks to a recent status match).

She is currently en route about to descend and I went into the app to check where she ended up on the upgrades as she was #3 and there appeared to be 2 F seats available. low and behold, the app is showing her as upgraded to 4C! She says she can see that 4C is open in first class.

I understand she might have been upgraded after boarding. She might have fallen asleep right after boarding. My question is why nobody thought to either a)wake her to move her or b)mover her up once she was awake? She was awake once they got to WiFi height because she’s been texting me a lot. Has this happened to others? Should she write to Alaska Listens?

Sorry if I should have posted on a new thread. But it also had the upgrade info data.

(Edited to add) Moderator Note: We'll leave it here, but no further discussion in this thread. OP can "Alert a Moderator" if s/he wants it moved to its own thread.

dayone, AS Moderator.

Last edited by dayone; Mar 7, 2020 at 9:29 pm Reason: Add Mod Note.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:17 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
3/9 SFO-LAX AS1926 MVPG R Fare Purchased 2/23
SDC'd from a SJC flight (upgraded a T-72) to 1926 that had U1 and cleared immediately.
3/9 LAX-SJC AS3383 MVPG R Fare Purchased 2/23
SDC'd from an earlier flight and cleared immediately.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 11:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
4/24/20 ANC-KTN AS64 MVPG cleared at T-23 hours* w class (Family member)
*Just changed the flight as the conference was canceled, and finally had a chance to modify this. Sad, as 2A was open
Old Apr 24, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
4/24/20 SFO-SEA cleared at T-37 with companion. This was the left overs from the SFO-ANC non-stop re-inaugural week flight to visit friends. Rebooked in October. Hope that happens.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
4/24/20 ANC-KTN AS64 MVPG cleared at T-23 hours* w class (Family member)
*Just changed the flight as the conference was canceled, and finally had a chance to modify this. Sad, as 2A was open
Can't believe the upgrade didn't process until T-23...with mostly empty planes, I would think most upgrades would clear at the elite windows.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 8:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Can't believe the upgrade didn't process until T-23...with mostly empty planes, I would think most upgrades would clear at the elite windows.
It was a Saver W award fare and half of F is blocked for social distancing. Seems right to wait until all paid same Elite Status are upgraded as per normal even if they booked later.

James
Old Apr 24, 2020, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
It was a Saver W award fare and half of F is blocked for social distancing. Seems right to wait until all paid same Elite Status are upgraded as per normal even if they booked later.

James
I agree with the upgrade order, but I just figured there would be few if any elites on the list with many flights flying a 10% (or less) capacity.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 9:49 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I agree with the upgrade order, but I just figured there would be few if any elites on the list with many flights flying a 10% (or less) capacity.
I agree with what your saying. However, social distancing has been more rigorously enforced since my last mainline flight on April 3rd. (It feels like a year ago....) I booked two 10K W awards with a MVPG companion on the same PNR and was very surprised when we were immediately upgraded to F, four days out. When I selected our seats (2AC) there was 15/16 to choose from. The flight eventually departed with 9 in F; 1 passenger in each pair & my companion and I in 2AC.

Now, some who are on the upgrade list aren't being upgraded with half the seats in F blocked.

I was also on one flight that had 2 passengers in F. I was the only passenger on the DF side of the isle.

James
Old Apr 25, 2020, 3:29 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
AS 3360 weekday this week R-class ticket bought Mid March. Upgrade to FC 4 days prior. Only2 in FC

Return flight home. AS 3409 weekday same as above.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Date: 2020-04-26
Route: SFO-JFK
Flight Number: 1022
Fare Class: G

The flight was booked on 2020-04-25 and I received an email the morning of that I was upgraded.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 1:46 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
Date: 06/02/20
Route: LAX-SEA
Flight Number: 330

​​​​​​Died at #1 on UG list. Husband and wife that both had status were UG before me. Good flight with middle empty and awesome conversation with women in isle seat.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Date: 6/15/20
Route: SEA-PDX
Flight number: 1250 (A321)

Ended up 4/5 on the wait list and the only elite not upgraded into Premium Class so I guess I can be thankful for that. I will say that, for me, mainline AS flights between SEA-PDX have got to be the toughest upgrades in the entire system--in fact, I can't recall the last time I've been upgraded on this route--it's likely been years. Prior to the pandemic, I would have been in the double digits on the wait list--now I'm in the single digits. Someone who acted like an AS employee (not in uniform) and knew the first class FA magically got brought up from the main cabin and upgraded into row 1 (although they weren't on the upgrade list)....whatever.

Last edited by PDXPremier; Jun 15, 2020 at 10:53 pm
Old Jun 15, 2020, 11:14 pm

Programs: Yes
Date: 6/15/20
Route: SEA-PDX
Flight number: 1250 (A321)

Ended up 4/5 on the wait list and the only elite not upgraded into Premium Class so I guess I can be thankful for that. I will say that, for me, mainline AS flights between SEA-PDX have got to be the toughest upgrades in the entire system--in fact, I can't recall the last time I've been upgraded on this route--it's likely been years. Prior to the pandemic, I would have been in the double digits on the wait list--now I'm in the single digits. Someone who acted like an AS employee (not in uniform) and knew the first class FA magically got brought up from the main cabin and upgraded into row 1 (although they weren't on the upgrade list)....whatever.
Perhaps it was a legit operational upgrade but..

If it helps, when we were an MVPs and prior to boarding my wife got bumped from her upgrade back to Main Cabin I was bumped from my seat to 4A on a Hawaii to Mainland flight for.. two off duty AS employees who turned out to use pharmaceutical drugs during the flight, and sold drugs in the terminal after landing.

That was an interesting flight and call to Customer Care.
SEA777GUY likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Add my name to the sample:

Date: 5/28/2020
Route: PDX-SEA
Flight Number: 1202
Fare Class: Y

I ended up #1 on the upgrade list. And this was a full Y fare! Short flight so no biggie. There are tons of AS employees on this route, I agree.

I will say that, for me, mainline AS flights between SEA-PDX have got to be the toughest upgrades in the entire system--in fact, I can't recall the last time I've been upgraded on this route--it's likely been years.

Last edited by Kurt; Jun 17, 2020 at 12:56 pm
Old Jun 17, 2020, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kurt
Add my name to the sample:

Date: 5/28/2020
Route: PDX-SEA
Flight Number: 1202
Fare Class: Y

I ended up #1 on the upgrade list. And this was a full Y fare! Short flight so no biggie. There are tons of AS employees on this route, I agree.
Wow, if a 75K can't get upgraded on this route, there is no hope for me Just to clarify, I know there are the occasional "upgrade shenanigans" at the gate, but you are not competing with AS employees for the F cabin, correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.