Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

I Got/Didn't Get MVP/Gold/75K Upgrade on AS (2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
Please post your upgrade successes & failures including:

Date
Route (Please bold if failure)
Flight Number
Status (MVP, Gold or 75K)
Fare Class
Add companion, if there was one
Time the upgrade cleared or position on waitlist if didn't clear
Date of ticket purchase

Examples:
2/2/20 SEA-ANC AS 67 75K Upgrade cleared at T-120 hours
2/19/20 MSY-SEA AS 887 MVPG Didn't clear 4/22 on waitlist
Print Wikipost

I Got/Didn't Get MVP/Gold/75K Upgrade on AS (2020)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2020, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Date: 6/13/2020
Route: PDX-SEA
Flight Number: 1200 (I think)
Fare Class: W

Ended up at #7 on the upgrade list with a seat in premium class (6A).
Old Jun 17, 2020, 12:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
No; one person ahead of me (not an employee; he showed on the list) was upgraded. It's mostly because there are only eight out of 16 seats available with social distancing.

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Wow, if a 75K can't get upgraded on this route, there is no hope for me Just to clarify, I know there are the occasional "upgrade shenanigans" at the gate, but you are not competing with AS employees for the F cabin, correct?
Old Jun 17, 2020, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kurt
No; one person ahead of me (not an employee; he showed on the list) was upgraded. It's mostly because there are only eight out of 16 seats available with social distancing.
I realize only 50% of the F cabin is available, but with the majority of business travel suspended, one would guess that fewer elites would be traveling and therefore compensate (somewhat) for the drop in seat availability. If there are 8 seats available during a pandemic with at least an 80% drop in passenger traffic, it still seems odd that a 75K on a full fare wouldn't clear.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Date: 7/6/2020
Route: SEA-PDX
Flight Number: 1205

Ended up at #1 on the upgrade list (out of only 3) with a seat in premium class 7C.....the mainline PDX-SEA shuttle flights continue to be the most difficult upgrades for me....I'm wondering if they are still running the auto-upgrade processor because within T-24, I'm not seeing any auto-upgrades showing up on the list....seems like it's all being done at the gate now.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 10:43 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Date: 7/6/2020
Route: SEA-PDX
Flight Number: 1205

Ended up at #1 on the upgrade list (out of only 3) with a seat in premium class 7C.....the mainline PDX-SEA shuttle flights continue to be the most difficult upgrades for me....I'm wondering if they are still running the auto-upgrade processor because within T-24, I'm not seeing any auto-upgrades showing up on the list....seems like it's all being done at the gate now.
What aircraft and how many FC seats were empty upon departure?
Old Jul 6, 2020, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by damnyourefine
What aircraft and how many FC seats were empty upon departure?
737-900....I think about 6 empty seats....it looked like 2D and 2F got the only upgrades at the gate and they may have not known each other (different last name) and there looked to be a family of 4 in row 4 but the mom it seemed didn't get upgraded and sat in the back with 4F empty....that is a tough one....do you allow a person to jump the upgrade list and sit next to a family member or leave it empty....hmmm...
Old Aug 8, 2020, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Date: 8/8/2020
Route: MCO-PDX
Flight Number: 164
Status: MVP+3 (2 cleared around T-29 and the other 2 about T-2)
Fare Class: Can't remember

My entire family (all 4 of us are MVPs) got auto-upgraded on this flight--first auto-upgrade since February. Only 6 out of 16 seats were filled. The non-stop between PDX-MCO just restarted this month and isn't daily service at this point.
Bellerina likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 12:23 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Sun 8/9. Last minute upgrade on DCA-SEA. Didn’t know until about to board and scanning error.
samosa and Bellerina like this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 6:16 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Currently on AS 2 SEA-DCA. Got upgraded an hr before flight.

very sparse plane. Moved people to weight balance.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 8:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by djp98374
Currently on AS 2 SEA-DCA. Got upgraded an hr before flight.

very sparse plane. Moved people to weight balance.
I remember days with waitlists upwards of 70 people on this route for 0 F seats. Congrats on the upgrade - crazy how much things have changed.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
I remember days with waitlists upwards of 70 people on this route for 0 F seats. Congrats on the upgrade - crazy how much things have changed.
i got teo..both ways.

unless you are together it’s one person per two sests. As I said my flight yesterday was empty. One reason for this I think...they had suspended the pm flight from Sea-dca in pm and only restarted it in August.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 2:58 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
8/11 flight SEA>MCO
Myself and the Wife upgraded to first at boarding
Old Aug 15, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Date: 8/14/20
Route SFO/SEA
Flight Number: Originally booked 715 at 6:20PM, project ended early so switched to 1203 at 4:20pm, but made it back to SFO in time to switch again this time to 281@ 2:30pm but the app would not let me do that, I had to get agent assistance. What was weird is that I was assigned 19C, agents suggested going to the counter at the gate and request an "upgrade". I just changed my seat in the app to row 8 where A, B, and C were not assigned.
Status 75K/MM
Fare Class: R
Add companion, if there was one: None
My app showed me as #1 of 2 on WL, but FC was "Sold Out" no seats available for purchase. As I boarded go the beep sound and was upgraded to 2A. Interestingly enough, #2 on WL also cleared, but was seated next to another flyer in 3A. Both declined to move up to 1D or 1F and were happy to stay where they were. The last person to board noticed that someone was sitting in 2F and talked to the FA about being booked in 2D. I was thinking I should have not gotten the upgrade or maybe should have been assigned 1D or 1F, but I heard the FA say they were upgrading revenue passengers first. Turns out he was a non rev, and offered quite happily to take an empty row in the back. Sadly, there were only 26 passengers on this flight
Date of ticket purchase: 7/30/20
Old Aug 20, 2020, 10:18 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
8/15/20
SEA-MSY
AS1496
Gold
R Class
Did not clear - was on #2 ; #1 was upgraded

8/20/20
MSY-SEA
AS751
Gold
R Class
Cleared - T-2
Companion, who is MVP, was upgraded together
Flying for Fun and Bellerina like this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 12:40 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Date 8/21
Route SJC-SEA
Flight Number 2832
Status MM75k
Fare Class K
#1 on waitlist, for one open seat, man walked up to counter and got the upgrade. Agents said he paid for it. Another passenger in 6D moved up to sit in 2D next to his wife. That was a good thing as there was a 75k flyer in 6C.
Date of ticket purchase 8/12/20

The FC FA came back to give (sneak it to avoid the "why does she get one" potential) the 75k in 6C a warm cookie which I thought was nice. The main cabin FA was very nice after I asked if MMs no longer got a cheese plate when in main cabin she said we do but they only cater enough for FC. Because someone up front did refuse it I got one, she also snuck me a cookie, and handed out the chocolates to three of us (6A, 6C and me in 7A). I did feel a bit awkward as if I was a DYKWIA, but I am thankful that I still get to fly!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.