Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

I Got/Didn't Get MVP/Gold/75K Upgrade on AS (2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
Please post your upgrade successes & failures including:

Date
Route (Please bold if failure)
Flight Number
Status (MVP, Gold or 75K)
Fare Class
Add companion, if there was one
Time the upgrade cleared or position on waitlist if didn't clear
Date of ticket purchase

Examples:
2/2/20 SEA-ANC AS 67 75K Upgrade cleared at T-120 hours
2/19/20 MSY-SEA AS 887 MVPG Didn't clear 4/22 on waitlist
Print Wikipost

I Got/Didn't Get MVP/Gold/75K Upgrade on AS (2020)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2020, 1:08 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by ctporter
Date 8/21
Route SJC-SEA
Flight Number 2832
Status MM75k
Fare Class K
#1 on waitlist, for one open seat, man walked up to counter and got the upgrade. Agents said he paid for it. Another passenger in 6D moved up to sit in 2D next to his wife. That was a good thing as there was a 75k flyer in 6C.
Date of ticket purchase 8/12/20
You should report this to Alaska Listens or call Customer Care.. they absolutely should be clearing the elite upgrade list BEFORE attempting to sell upgrades. I’ve had to report this several times and I eventually got it in writing: elite upgrades before selling upgrades is Alaska’s policy.
SEA777GUY likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Date 8/21
Route SJC-SEA
Flight Number 2832
Status MM75k
Fare Class K
#1 on waitlist, for one open seat, man walked up to counter and got the upgrade. Agents said he paid for it. Another passenger in 6D moved up to sit in 2D next to his wife. That was a good thing as there was a 75k flyer in 6C.
Date of ticket purchase 8/12/20

The FC FA came back to give (sneak it to avoid the "why does she get one" potential) the 75k in 6C a warm cookie which I thought was nice. The main cabin FA was very nice after I asked if MMs no longer got a cheese plate when in main cabin she said we do but they only cater enough for FC. Because someone up front did refuse it I got one, she also snuck me a cookie, and handed out the chocolates to three of us (6A, 6C and me in 7A). I did feel a bit awkward as if I was a DYKWIA, but I am thankful that I still get to fly!
So was the passenger in 6D that moved up the "paid" upgrade? Besides not following policy, the only thing I can think of as to the reason for this would be that 2C was already upgraded and 2D would have had to remain empty due to seat blocking unless 2C was traveling with 2D so since the husband was the only person who could sit by 2C, they sold the husband the upgrade and made $$ rather than let it go empty. We talked about situations like somewhere in the AS forum not long ago....can't remember which thread, maybe this one.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 9:34 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
So was the passenger in 6D that moved up the "paid" upgrade? Besides not following policy, the only thing I can think of as to the reason for this would be that 2C was already upgraded and 2D would have had to remain empty due to seat blocking unless 2C was traveling with 2D so since the husband was the only person who could sit by 2C, they sold the husband the upgrade and made $$ rather than let it go empty. We talked about situations like somewhere in the AS forum not long ago....can't remember which thread, maybe this one.
The paid upgrade was sitting in 1D, the man in 2D was the spouse of the woman that was seated in 2C. Due to covid, 2D would have been blocked for sale. After boarding 6D moved up to join his wife in row two taking the empty seat next to his wife. He had tried to get moved up to sit next to his wife at the gate, but FC was now "full" so when they offered to move his wife to the main cabin to sit next to him he said that would not be good for his marriage and opted to stay in 6D. So, 2D did not have to pay the UG difference in fare. I would have thought it was "seat poaching" in a way, but it was evident that the FC FA knew about it and was ok with it.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The paid upgrade was sitting in 1D, the man in 2D was the spouse of the woman that was seated in 2C. Due to covid, 2D would have been blocked for sale. After boarding 6D moved up to join his wife in row two taking the empty seat next to his wife. He had tried to get moved up to sit next to his wife at the gate, but FC was now "full" so when they offered to move his wife to the main cabin to sit next to him he said that would not be good for his marriage and opted to stay in 6D. So, 2D did not have to pay the UG difference in fare. I would have thought it was "seat poaching" in a way, but it was evident that the FC FA knew about it and was ok with it.
Interesting....so the paid upgrade in 1D should have never happened and it should have been given to the next on the upgrade list....yes, a note to customer care is definitely in order here. The situation with the spouse moving from row 6 was "seat poaching" 100% unless the spouse was also an elite that just didn't get upgraded....unless they paid for premium class to sit in 6D, that suggests to me that they may have been an elite. As a side note, I know FC is supposedly "full" in terms of sales when they reach 50% capacity, but at the gate, if someone who is entitled to an upgrade is traveling with someone who is already upgraded, I always thought gate agents had the ability (and do) move them to the empty FC seat.
SEA777GUY likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
As a side note, I know FC is supposedly "full" in terms of sales when they reach 50% capacity, but at the gate, if someone who is entitled to an upgrade is traveling with someone who is already upgraded, I always thought gate agents had the ability (and do) move them to the empty FC seat.
I do not mind that the husband got moved up, even if he was not an elite, I think it is a good thing to do especially now. Sometimes, the breaks don't go my way, sometimes I get lucky and they do, I appreciate them when they happen
Old Aug 23, 2020, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do not mind that the husband got moved up, even if he was not an elite, I think it is a good thing to do especially now. Sometimes, the breaks don't go my way, sometimes I get lucky and they do, I appreciate them when they happen
I think the bigger issue is that you should have been in 1D regardless.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 5:13 pm

Programs: Gold 75K
#2[/URL] 22222]Date 8/24
#2[/URL] 22222]Route SEA-OAK
#2[/URL] 22222]Flight Number: 3460
#2[/URL] 22222]Status 75K

Same day change from a later flight. I was #3 on the list and not upgraded.. One person got an upgradej pre-board. #2 on the list was moved once on the aircraft. One person who was on the "awaiting seats" list was assigned 3D, so I don't know if that person jumped the queue somehow.

Note: It was 7:30 a.m. so alcohol wasn't on my agenda. I was offered a snack in premium class and it turned out to be a pack of biscoff. No 75 K recognition or chocolate for me in row 6.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 6:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, Hilton Diamond
8/22
SEA-PHL
Flight 32
Status Gold

All upgrades were done after boarding. Got upgraded to first with husband (also gold) and sat together. I think 3 others were upgraded. Seats next to solo travelers were empty and 4A and 4C were vacant.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 12:44 pm

There is definably something going on in the way they are upgrading to FC theses days. Over the last couple flights I have had people below me in status and number on the list get upgraded before me. Some of the flights I have still been upgraded and some not when FC filled. How do I know this? My wife (separate reservation) who is MVP was upgraded before me when I am gold, This was done at approx t+30 hours. On the last flight where I was ultimately upgraded at the gate at the last minute, I ended up siting across from the person who disappeared from the upgrade list, she said she was also only MVP.

I don't know if it was because I was flying with a 2nd person on my reservation and they were not or if I just somehow got on a "naughty" list :-)...
Old Sep 2, 2020, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boo_Crew
There is definably something going on in the way they are upgrading to FC theses days. Over the last couple flights I have had people below me in status and number on the list get upgraded before me. Some of the flights I have still been upgraded and some not when FC filled. How do I know this? My wife (separate reservation) who is MVP was upgraded before me when I am gold, This was done at approx t+30 hours. On the last flight where I was ultimately upgraded at the gate at the last minute, I ended up siting across from the person who disappeared from the upgrade list, she said she was also only MVP.

I don't know if it was because I was flying with a 2nd person on my reservation and they were not or if I just somehow got on a "naughty" list :-)...
If you have a 2nd person on your reservation (which would qualify them for an upgrade), the upgrades will only get processed when U (upgrade space) = 2 and since U space sometimes gets released one seat at a time, single travelers can leap frog over MVPGs and 75Ks who have more than one person on their reservation. If you wife as an MVP got upgraded before you and you didn't, then she wouldn't have been on the same reservation since both travelers either get upgraded together or not at all (unless you're physically at the gate and telling the gate agent you're ok with splitting up). With social distancing measures in place, I personally think it's better to keep everyone on separate reservations (assuming all have at least MVP status) and then if one person gets upgraded (like a MVPG), then technically there is an "empty" seat next to them that can only be filled by a traveling companion so you really only need one upgrade to auto-process in-advance and then when you get to the gate, just mention that the other traveler is on the upgrade list and traveling with someone who is already upgraded.
NYC Flyer, pcoll and anteater like this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
6/4/20 SJD-SAN AS 1291 MVPG Upgrade cleared at gate for all 3 non-elite passengers on my booking

One of my upgrades cleared during check in, with the other 2 being cleared after 2 no shows once onboard the aircraft.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itripreport
6/4/20 SJD-SAN AS 1291 MVPG Upgrade cleared at gate for all 3 non-elite passengers on my booking

One of my upgrades cleared during check in, with the other 2 being cleared after 2 no shows once onboard the aircraft.
Wow....I thought the limit for companion upgrades was 1. Was this really back on June 4th?
Old Sep 3, 2020, 9:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Forgot to post these - originally purchased in April for LAX-BOS, but route cancellation and a few changes I made put me on these flights in July.

8/21/20
LAX-SEA
AS1255
Gold
R Class
Cleared at T-2 hrs

8/21/20
SEA-BOS
AS18
Gold
R Class
Cleared at T-2 hrs
Old Sep 3, 2020, 9:48 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
8/29/20
PDX-SAN
AS3355
Gold
T class
Two of us were upgraded at T-2.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 7:32 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
3 Sep 2020
LAX-DCA
AS 6
MVPG
R
Cleared after Boarding by the Gate Agent
2/8 on Upgrade List

Interesting flight, seat map showed 3 empty rows at check-in, by T-2 went down to 1 empty row with no movement on the upgrade list and the flight not selling F tix anymore. #1 on the list got upgraded just prior to boarding. When I was upgraded, I took one of the rows that were initially available. Gate agent did not come back to upgrade #3 , and the last row went out empty.

Not sure if a gate agent upgrades pax after boarding that the FA seating chart doesn't update, as she was surprised to see me occupy the seat, and towards the end of the flight actually came through the F cabin and handed out chocolates to pretty much every other row thanking them for being Gold, but skipped over me. Not that I really wanted the chocolate or cared to be recognized, as she was otherwise a really great FA, but in the moment felt weird to be left out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.