Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

I Got/Didn't Get MVP/Gold/75K Upgrade on AS (2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
Please post your upgrade successes & failures including:

Date
Route (Please bold if failure)
Flight Number
Status (MVP, Gold or 75K)
Fare Class
Add companion, if there was one
Time the upgrade cleared or position on waitlist if didn't clear
Date of ticket purchase

Examples:
2/2/20 SEA-ANC AS 67 75K Upgrade cleared at T-120 hours
2/19/20 MSY-SEA AS 887 MVPG Didn't clear 4/22 on waitlist
Print Wikipost

I Got/Didn't Get MVP/Gold/75K Upgrade on AS (2020)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2020, 12:18 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Based on past reports, you would be moved by the gate agent, if not before that.
I have flown in 1F on over 10 flights since June, and I’m on one right now in 1F.

I don’t know what the policy is but you can definitely sit in it.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 12:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by damnyourefine
I have flown in 1F on over 10 flights since June, and I’m on one right now in 1F.
Very odd. I’ve flown on 15+ flights since then and have never seen it filled with a passenger Plus, someone reported that they selected it but were moved. I guess again, it all comes back to the discretion of the gate agent.
anteater and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 12:25 pm

Very odd. I’ve flown on 15+ flights since then and have never seen it filled with a passenger Plus, someone reported that they selected it but were moved. I guess again, it all comes back to the discretion of the gate agent.
Those 10 flights 6 were F and 4 were upgrade, all were transcon. The gate agents have always been helpful so it doesn’t hurt to ask if you want it.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 12:28 pm

Those 10 flights 6 were F and 4 were upgrade, all were transcon. The gate agents have always been helpful so it doesn’t hurt to ask if you want it.
Does the FA sit next to you during takeoff and landing?
Old Sep 27, 2020, 12:33 pm

Does the FA sit next to you during takeoff and landing?
Two flights yes and only asking for consent.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
On two recent flights where I paid pittance more for I class, neither 1DF, nor 1CD on the E175 were available for selection during the booking process. On all 5 flights I have been on since 9/18, the F cabin was at 50% occupancy even with 1DF/1CD blocked and a few pairs of traveling companions.

James
anteater likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 12:45 pm

Two flights yes and only asking for consent.
Okay, I give up. I’m hesitant to tell people what to expect when they ask questions now because there’s so much discrepancy and uncertainty in the implementation of different policies, across the airline.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 12:47 pm

Okay, I give up. I’m hesitant to tell people what to expect when they ask questions now because there’s so much discrepancy and uncertainty in the implementation of different policies, across the airline.
Don't give up! All information is good information.
RAD_PDX likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 12:49 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
As a data point, my flights at the end of October on an E175 only have 1C blocked in advance.

anteater likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 2:08 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HeyItsMK
I think there was another older thread with the upgrade list and the discrepancy between the list displayed at the airport and the App. Just another thing for IT, which is probably the area where Alaska could really get more support in since they're already delayed in integrating the oneworld stuff. Even until recently, I have also seen discrepancies between the airport screens at the gate versus the app.

Also on this note, in trying to think of different perspectives, maybe the GA was hesitant to upgrade you both to avoid the person in number 3 potentially trying to argue why they were skipped over since it would show 2 and 4 being given the upgrade on the airport screen.
It is interesting and good to know about the discrepancy. I only got to the gate 30 minutes before departure and walked straight to the GA after his phone call. I did not check if the airport screen showed my companion as #3 or #4 . I just thought it weird that the GA's screen showed a different upgrade list than the app. Again, no fuss about it as my companion spread across three seats and definitely enjoyed his space. I just don't understand what was happening as my companion should be #3 (after me).

On my outbound SEA-CHS, 1A and 1C were filled by a couple below me on the upgrade list, so they filled 1C for people traveling together.
anteater likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 9:39 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Its also available on the 737-700s since they only require 3 FAs. I guess there are 2 jumpseats in the aft galley area, so everyone has their own.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: AS Gold 75k, Oneworld Emerald, Hilton Honors Gold
Flying out of SFO, every single flight as a 75k (including since the pandemic started) I have gotten upgraded, though primarily near the end of the boarding process. FAs usually have to manually upgrade once rest of F has boarded to make sure that people who are sitting next to each other in F are comfortable with it and traveling together, and that the seat blocked seats can actually be released.
anteater and Bellerina like this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
Well today on SEA-PIT, I saw the gate agent come towards the end of boarding and upgrade 3 pax into a nearly filled to capacity first class cabin... guess who was number 4 on that upgrade list...

On the bright side, being in economy means getting that chocolate FAs give to MVP Gold members + (not sure if MVP get it), which in my opinion is better than any wrap/cheese plate first class could have.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by itripreport
Well today on SEA-PIT, I saw the gate agent come towards the end of boarding and upgrade 3 pax into a nearly filled to capacity first class cabin... guess who was number 4 on that upgrade list...

On the bright side, being in economy means getting that chocolate FAs give to MVP Gold members + (not sure if MVP get it), which in my opinion is better than any wrap/cheese plate first class could have.
I can't stand being #1 on the list and missing the upgrade...maybe it's just me, but I'd rather be #35 on the list than just barely miss it...kinda like the silver medal in the Olympics I've discovered before and during the pandemic that if I don't get upgraded prior to arriving at the airport, then it's probably not going to happen....someone is winning those battlefield upgrades, but it usually isn't me.
TEDisgone, be_rettSEA and anteater like this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 4:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Something Fishy...

Originally Posted by itripreport

I am not sure I would go quite that far but the JCOCO chocolate bars are definitely delicious. Today, the Alaskan Smoked Sea Salt (ASSS) was on offer. They are infinitely better than the "perpetual" cookie!

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I can't stand being #1 on the list and missing the upgrade...maybe it's just me, but I'd rather be #35 on the list than just barely miss it...kinda like the silver medal in the Olympics I've discovered before and during the pandemic that if I don't get upgraded prior to arriving at the airport, then it's probably not going to happen....someone is winning those battlefield upgrades, but it usually isn't me.
I am currently flying Salmon-Thirty-Salmon ORD-PDX. AS was gracious in allowing me to change my itinerary from ORD-SEA-PHX to ORD-PDX-PHX for a later departure and an earlier arrival without an add/collect. My original itinerary wasn't optimal but for $99.60 (even Russell couldn't 'handle' that fare) in Main I wasn't concerned and a SDC would be possible.

I changed my itinerary at approximately T-11 hours. I was and still am #1 on the waitlist, first again not to be upgraded. Although, it is possible that there were a few on the waitlist that were processor upgraded before I joined the list. 1DF blocked, 7/12 F seats occupied, 5/6 port side I am stretched out across 8DEF enjoying coffee, 2 Dasani water bottles, 4 pkgs of Sky Bites snacks & the jcoco chocolate bar. Coffee refill just arrived. Having 1/2 a row in Premium to yourself isn't such a bad thing. I did get a processor upgrade on the PDX-PHX segment at ~T-6. Sitting in Isle & Window seat 2A on that flight.

Coffee, chocolate, wa' wa', Snackety-Snack, Snackety-Snack!

James
tom911 and NoLaGent like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.