Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

I Got/Didn't Get MVP/Gold/75K Upgrade on AS (2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
Please post your upgrade successes & failures including:

Date
Route (Please bold if failure)
Flight Number
Status (MVP, Gold or 75K)
Fare Class
Add companion, if there was one
Time the upgrade cleared or position on waitlist if didn't clear
Date of ticket purchase

Examples:
2/2/20 SEA-ANC AS 67 75K Upgrade cleared at T-120 hours
2/19/20 MSY-SEA AS 887 MVPG Didn't clear 4/22 on waitlist
Print Wikipost

I Got/Didn't Get MVP/Gold/75K Upgrade on AS (2020)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2020, 7:34 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, Hilton Diamond
9/22
CHS-SEA #787
Gold
Class?
With companion also Gold on same reservation
Cleared 10 minutes before boarding

We were #1 and #2 on the waitlist. Initially only I cleared although there was a seat open next to me. Approached the gate agents and requested my spouse (also gold) be upgraded and seated next to me. They gave me this line "we can only fill first class up to 65% and we are at 50% now so we can't clear him until the flight attendants agree to allow it." What??? Ended up both clearing only minutes before boarding. The plane was a 787-800 and both flight attendants were sitting in the first row. All other rows had a least one person seated. Service was good and I liked the Curry Chicken Wrap.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mtnsider
9/22
CHS-SEA #787
Gold
Class?
With companion also Gold on same reservation
Cleared 10 minutes before boarding

We were #1 and #2 on the waitlist. Initially only I cleared although there was a seat open next to me. Approached the gate agents and requested my spouse (also gold) be upgraded and seated next to me. They gave me this line "we can only fill first class up to 65% and we are at 50% now so we can't clear him until the flight attendants agree to allow it." What??? Ended up both clearing only minutes before boarding. The plane was a 787-800 and both flight attendants were sitting in the first row. All other rows had a least one person seated. Service was good and I liked the Curry Chicken Wrap.
This is the 2nd weird upgrade report out if CHS...
Bellerina likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 11:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
9/19
PDX-LAX
AS1300
W (I think)
1/1...

I checked the seat map all the way up to boarding and there was still a free row (2A/C) available and I was the only person on the waitlist. I noticed a passenger at the desk because he was talking to the gate agent for what seemed like an extraordinary long time and I wondered if something was wrong. Then he just stood to the side but still close by. When boarding began I refreshed my app and I was still in Premium and still the only person waitlisted but I boarded with my row. When boarding was just about completed, the passenger boarded and sat in 2C! I refreshed the app and sure enough, I was then #2.

​​​​​​¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Sep 24, 2020, 1:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TEDisgone
9/19
PDX-LAX
AS1300
W (I think)
1/1...

I checked the seat map all the way up to boarding and there was still a free row (2A/C) available and I was the only person on the waitlist. I noticed a passenger at the desk because he was talking to the gate agent for what seemed like an extraordinary long time and I wondered if something was wrong. Then he just stood to the side but still close by. When boarding began I refreshed my app and I was still in Premium and still the only person waitlisted but I boarded with my row. When boarding was just about completed, the passenger boarded and sat in 2C! I refreshed the app and sure enough, I was then #2.

​​​​​​¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The W fare bucket is a Saver Main Cabin award. A 75K on a W fare will be the last to be upgraded but will clear before any MVPGs. Even if you were on a revenue ticket and the only one on the waitlist, it is possible that another 75K did a SDC to your flight.

Since the flight was under gate control, fare class is irrelavent (according to what AS says on the website) and the upgrade would go to the pax who purchased their ticket first.

As a 75K, I have done a SDC to an earlier flight and was upgraded on my way to the gate. I never showed on the waitlist.

James
TEDisgone and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 1:01 pm

Programs: AS
I have a question...not sure if it has been answered before so, please forgive me.
What is the difference between Awaiting Seats and Upgrade Requests when checking flight status on AS? Seems that length of list for awaiting seats cannot just be those requesting SDC.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 1:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by pcoll
I have a question...not sure if it has been answered before so, please forgive me.
What is the difference between Awaiting Seats and Upgrade Requests when checking flight status on AS? Seems that length of list for awaiting seats cannot just be those requesting SDC.
Most of those are non-revs.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 1:05 pm

Programs: AS
Ahhh....Thanks!
Old Sep 25, 2020, 2:08 pm

Programs: AS, HHonors
Originally Posted by pcoll
I have also been put on this list when I’ve purchased a saver fare and not selected a seat at purchase.
pcoll likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 6:24 pm

Programs: AS 100K
9/26/20 SEA-IAD AS 1078 75K Upgrade cleared at T-9 hours
9/26/20 IAD-SEA AS 1085 75K Upgrade cleared at T-105 hours
Old Sep 26, 2020, 11:15 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
26 Sep
JNU-ANC AS 65
W Fare
UG cleared about 18 hours prior. 2F & Row 3 taken (AC/DF). So only "1" left.

UG list filled up during the day, 1 person cleared before boarding. The the gate agent offered 1DF as battlefield UGs to a couple.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 12:26 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
24 Sep
SEA-DEN
AS 1474
R Fare
7 of 13 On Waitlist, 4 Cleared (1&2 Traveling Together)

The FA taking care of the F cabin and I recognized each other from a previous flight, so they brought me some stuff from the F snack basket unprompted after having passed it around F multiple times.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 6:47 am

ORD - SEA 9/27 AS 1011

R fare

Mvp. 2nd on the list then became 3rd after the first 2 cleared into 1 A/C. They were together. No other F seat except for 1 D/F. UG never cleared and 1 D/F went out empty. Several X folks fare cleared into premium fare.

​​​​​​Just a MR for me but I probably should just save money and book X instead of R. Flying this ORD-SEA-ORD every weekend til December to get 75k so we'll see if the UG percentage increases.

Question: is it normal to leave 1 D/F empty for FA?

Last edited by AndyKehn; Sep 27, 2020 at 6:58 am
Old Sep 27, 2020, 10:19 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
Question: is it normal to leave 1 D/F empty for FA?
On the 737s 1D/F has always remained open for FA (at least since COVID) from my experience. I thought that was the policy.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 12:02 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by Bellerina
On the 737s 1D/F has always remained open for FA (at least since COVID) from my experience. I thought that was the policy.
I can book or opt to switch to 1F without issue on 737. I think policy is 1D.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by damnyourefine
I can book or opt to switch to 1F without issue on 737. I think policy is 1D.
Based on past reports, you would be moved by the gate agent, if not before that.
Bellerina likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.