Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

I Got/Didn't Get MVP/Gold/75K Upgrade on AS (2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
Please post your upgrade successes & failures including:

Date
Route (Please bold if failure)
Flight Number
Status (MVP, Gold or 75K)
Fare Class
Add companion, if there was one
Time the upgrade cleared or position on waitlist if didn't clear
Date of ticket purchase

Examples:
2/2/20 SEA-ANC AS 67 75K Upgrade cleared at T-120 hours
2/19/20 MSY-SEA AS 887 MVPG Didn't clear 4/22 on waitlist
Print Wikipost

I Got/Didn't Get MVP/Gold/75K Upgrade on AS (2020)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2020, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by damnyourefine
Alaska is a lovely company with fantastic and empowered employees; however, it is disheartening to learn that front-line employees may encourage mileage runs, a voluntary leisure active, during a pandemic when anyone can unknowingly become a danger to themselves and others if they are infected, and especially from individuals originating from or a resident of a region with overwhelmed medical facilities and stay at home restrictions. With that being said, welcome to the 75K club \ (•◡•) / !

2020/12/09
SJC-HNL
AS837
MVPG75K
R
T-120 hours
2020/11/04
No need to be sanctimonious. This is a frequent flyer forum not some conspiratory subreddit. Flying is one of the safest activities there is right now with mask mandate, air filtration, seat blocking (especially in F). Without us flying Alaska would need to furlough more people.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by damnyourefine
Alaska is a lovely company with fantastic and empowered employees; however, it is disheartening to learn that front-line employees may encourage mileage runs, a voluntary leisure active, during a pandemic when anyone can unknowingly become a danger to themselves and others if they are infected, and especially from individuals originating from or a resident of a region with overwhelmed medical facilities and stay at home restrictions. With that being said, welcome to the 75K club \ (•◡•) / !
Old Dec 12, 2020, 9:15 am

12/11/2020
ATL-SEA-LAX
MVPG 3rd on the list both flights. No one on the first flight was upgraded (738) and only 1 person was upgraded on the second flight (320). Seat blocking in F made upgrade almost impossible on 738 and 320.

LAX-PDX-SEA-FLL
Will be 75k by the end of this trip. Upgraded on all segments. I've eaten over 30 curry wraps on my way to 75k and countless cookies. Wont be flying alaska again for a very long time unless they repeat the eqm offer. Hope everyone enjoys the new wrap!
Old Dec 12, 2020, 9:21 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
Will be 75k by the end of this trip....Wont be flying alaska again for a very long time unless they repeat the eqm offer.
Congrats!, but what's the point if you are not going to use the benefits?
be_rettSEA and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Congrats!, but what's the point if you are not going to use the benefits?
With the 50% eqm and various promo codes it cost me ~1k in airfare to get from 0 to 75k which also earn me a boatload of rdm. Already redeemed some for CX F and JL F, so it's like I bought alaska miles ~1.5 cpp. I love being in the air and also am way more productive so I decided to do some mileage runs for fun. I can see myself using the following benefits from 75k: gift mvp, lots of rdm from crediting QR biz, OWE benefits, MCE on AA, upgrades on alaska since I need to reposition to LAX/SFO for my CX/JL redemptions. Overall it was more of a fun challenge due to the unique combination of cheap flights and 50% eqm.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 12:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
With the 50% eqm and various promo codes it cost me ~1k in airfare to get from 0 to 75k which also earn me a boatload of rdm. Already redeemed some for CX F and JL F, so it's like I bought alaska miles ~1.5 cpp. I love being in the air and also am way more productive so I decided to do some mileage runs for fun. I can see myself using the following benefits from 75k: gift mvp, lots of rdm from crediting QR biz, OWE benefits, MCE on AA, upgrades on alaska since I need to reposition to LAX/SFO for my CX/JL redemptions. Overall it was more of a fun challenge due to the unique combination of cheap flights and 50% eqm.
Congratulations, that is very impressive. Flying the equivalent of 20 transcons at $50 each is outstanding! From 0K to 75K, assuming sufficient time between flights for the higher level status to process, would earn 93K + the 50K bonus for achieving 75K for a total of 143K. For many, that is a boat load of RDM but once 75K, it soon becomes a yacht load.

I hope your CX & JL itineraries come to fruition. As far as repositioning to LAX/SFO, AS awards include flights to the gateway city, in First if A award space is available. If not, you can fly in Main with Saver W availability and upgrade later if A space opens. If it never does, you are still eligible for a complimentary upgrade with your Status and would be ahead of MVPGs.

James
williwaw likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 8:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by FloridaFlyers
Thanks. It's amazing how many flight crew you get to know doing a run like that. While exiting the aircraft tonight I was chatting with the crew, several of whom I had met on previous flights the past few days/weeks. We laughed about mileage running, and when I pointed out that I had just hit 75K tonight, I was presented with my honorary Alaska Airlines flight crew pin.

Very cool! As is happens, I crossed the 75K threshold this year on the basis of credit card spend, so technically, what I got instead of an honorary Alaska Airlines flight crew pin was a $20K credit card bill.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 11:40 pm

Lol I spoke too soon and jinxed myself. On my last leg to get 75k (SEA-FLL), I was upgraded at check in and then downgraded at the gate. GA said the system upgraded you but we don't have enough seats (A321). Can anyone look into this flight and help me understand why? AS 356 12/11

It's unfortunate that my last experience with Alaska was a bad one. Hopefully the next time I fly seat blocking will go away.

Last edited by AndyKehn; Dec 12, 2020 at 11:47 pm
Old Dec 13, 2020, 11:27 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Heyyyy there's finally space opening up in 2021 for MVP Gold Guest upgrades! Saw some SEA-SAN on 1/16, 1/18
Old Dec 28, 2020, 1:50 am

Programs: AS MVP
12/19/20 ONT-SEA AS 617 MVP Didn't clear 1/1 on waitlist - 739 Flight went out with at least 5F empty
12/27/20 SEA-ONT AS 918 MVP Cleared about 6hrs before departure - had been 1/1 on waitlist - A320 - 7/12F occupied

Is the waitlist clearance happening via the automated process, or is it being done when the flight goes under airport control?

I never cleared on my northbound flight out of ONT despite being 1/1 on the waitlist and F going out with empty seats. I was one of the last to board and the G/A didn't say anything - I'd assumed it would be full but walked past empty seats.
For my southbound flight I cleared around 5.5-6hrs before departure time - that doesn't seem like a "normal" time for an automated process.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
AS623 DEN-SEA, 8 people moved to PE, none to F. While boarding, a PAX asked if there were any upgrades to F available. The FA said that they were actually downgrading from F on this flight. I believe there was an aircraft swap from a 900 to an 800 from what I recall from the earlier seat map.
anteater likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 4:03 pm

Programs: AS 75K
12/28/20
OGG >> PDX
MVP (but making Gold on this flight)
Fare Class K
Upgrade notification via email @ T-16 hours
Date of ticket purchased 11/26/20

Upgraded to FC
anteater likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 7:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Pretty happy with my 95.1% upgrade rate for 2020 as an SFO-based flyer. Of 41 flights eligible for upgrades, both paid and award, I missed 2 (EWR-SFO in January and SEA-PDX in August). I cleared 25/26 in January/February and 14/15 August-November. Will continue booking main cabin fares if upgrades consistently clear.

Did a little better in 2019 at 97.2%, missing 1 upgrade out of 36. Have 34 paid segments already booked out into May, 2021.

Couldn't be happier after finishing 3 full years with Alaska and making the move from AA. VERY happy to see I'll get One World Emerald status back on March 31 and enjoy some of the same perks I miss as an AA flyer.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 8:08 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by tom911
Pretty happy with my 95.1% upgrade rate for 2020 as an SFO-based flyer. Of 41 flights eligible for upgrades, both paid and award, I missed 2 (EWR-SFO in January and SEA-PDX in August). I cleared 25/26 in January/February and 14/15 August-November. Will continue booking main cabin fares if upgrades consistently clear.

Did a little better in 2019 at 97.2%, missing 1 upgrade out of 36. Have 34 paid segments already booked out into May, 2021.

Couldn't be happier after finishing 3 full years with Alaska and making the move from AA. VERY happy to see I'll get One World Emerald status back on March 31 and enjoy some of the same perks I miss as an AA flyer.
On final flight of year now.

53/55 (96.4%) FC upgrades. 50 paid segments. All 5 award segments upgraded. Seattle based.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
12/26/20
AS 2554
PDX-LAX
E175
W (award) class
MVPG + MVP companion: Probably cleared around T-22 via the auto processor

12/26/20
AS 222
LAX-MZT
A320
MVPG + MVP companion: Didn't clear...ended up around 3 or so on the list.

12/30/20
AS 232
MZT-LAX
737-900 (16 seats in F--seriously?)
MVPG + MVP companion: Didn't clear...ended up around 3 or so on the list.

12/30/20
AS 3462
LAX-PDX
E175
MVPG + MVP companion: Cleared around T-22 via the auto processor

As an MVP, the E175 flights have always been fairly easy upgrades and now as an MVPG, they are slam dunks. I'm not sure if it was due to paid F or the fact that I was traveling around the holidays, but I'm not noticing any significant difference in upgrade % between MVP and MVPG status....hopefully the end of seat blocking in F will help, but we'll see. Regardless of being MVP or MVPG, I've noticed that if I don't get upgraded automatically before arriving at the airport, then I'm probably not getting upgraded--my guess is that the "battlefield" upgrades at the gate are going to 75Ks because they certainly aren't part of my world.

Last edited by PDXPremier; Dec 31, 2020 at 10:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.