Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

The New SFO Alaska Lounge (Opened 8/31/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The New SFO Alaska Lounge (Opened 8/31/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2020, 9:52 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mfolf

This is why I'm still convinced this will likely be cancelled and forgotten like the JFK lounge and SFO dehubbed. I question how effective Alaska will be beyond a now-bloated niche leisure carrier since their west coast "bread and butter" was tech-based business travel that's now abandoning the west coast in droves.

I wouldn't be surprised if the lounges in general are gone along with first class in the next few years and AS adopts an Allegiant model in regards to scheduling and service.
Wouldn't go so far as to suggest AS adopts the Allegiant model but AS mainline barely services SFO now as it is. Almost all the flights operated under the AS name are QX or Skywest at this point. With JetBlue gaining new gates at SFO and expanding and their partnership with AA, there is little need for AS to even operate flights from SFO to the East Coast. Even before COVID they were shifting to flying along the West Coast and those trends are likely to continue. There would really not be all that much of a payoff to opening up a lounge for what will be a focus city far smaller service wise than ANC/SEA/PDX/LAX and perhaps even SJC. SJC might make more sense to focus on in the Bay Area as there is less competition and SFO flyers would still be able to earn AS points flying AA out of SFO.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Wouldn't go so far as to suggest AS adopts the Allegiant model but AS mainline barely services SFO now as it is. Almost all the flights operated under the AS name are QX or Skywest at this point. With JetBlue gaining new gates at SFO and expanding and their partnership with AA, there is little need for AS to even operate flights from SFO to the East Coast. Even before COVID they were shifting to flying along the West Coast and those trends are likely to continue. There would really not be all that much of a payoff to opening up a lounge for what will be a focus city far smaller service wise than ANC/SEA/PDX/LAX and perhaps even SJC. SJC might make more sense to focus on in the Bay Area as there is less competition and SFO flyers would still be able to earn AS points flying AA out of SFO.
I'd expect that SFO has has high value flyers fare and above what is apparent to the causal observer (i.e., almost all of us). Look at how many years AS operated its own lounge, when the reach of its SFO wings were generally SEA/PDX/PSP/PvR/SJD and an occasional handful of other destinations.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I'd expect that SFO has has high value flyers fare and above what is apparent to the causal observer (i.e., almost all of us). Look at how many years AS operated its own lounge, when the reach of its SFO wings were generally SEA/PDX/PSP/PvR/SJD and an occasional handful of other destinations.
I remember that "Boardroom"! Kind of a small room with some chairs, a serve yourself bar and run down wood paneling on the walls. It was definitely the most funky AS Boardroom.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
I remember that "Boardroom"! Kind of a small room with some chairs, a serve yourself bar and run down wood paneling on the walls. It was definitely the most funky AS Boardroom.
It sure was, but the bar was never self serve. It also had some of the best concierges in the history of the Boardroom. [Note that it probably wasn't all that much "funkier" than the original SEA BR (one floor, in the same general space as the D lounge) nor the PDX lounge in the B gates.]
Boraxo likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 6:14 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
What was true in the past is not true in the present. The consultant class is still mostly grounded from SFO and even routes like SFO-PDX and SFO-SEA have been cut back while BOS/JFK/IAD/EWR/DCA etc aren’t even operating daily. Just not worth spending money on a lounge right now when there are not enough premium passengers to justify it.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
What was true in the past is not true in the present. The consultant class is still mostly grounded from SFO and even routes like SFO-PDX and SFO-SEA have been cut back while BOS/JFK/IAD/EWR/DCA etc aren’t even operating daily. Just not worth spending money on a lounge right now when there are not enough premium passengers to justify it.
But it will likely be true again in the future.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 10:49 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
But it will likely be true again in the future.
How many other airline hubs in the United States lack a club? (Not counting Southwest and the evanescent DL hubs announced pre-Covid.)
Old Oct 1, 2020, 10:49 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
SAN is a focus city and lacks a club
Old Oct 2, 2020, 10:06 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
SAN is a focus city and lacks a club
Not exactly, SAN has a Partner Lounge, the Airspace Lounge in T2.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 1:33 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Not exactly, SAN has a Partner Lounge, the Airspace Lounge in T2.
By that measure SFO also has a lounge, CX.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
By that measure SFO also has a lounge, CX.
100% agree, I never said otherwise.

And don't forget that come next Tuesday (Oct. 6th) it'll have 2 when AA opens in T1.

Last edited by NoLaGent; Oct 2, 2020 at 2:42 pm Reason: added AA
Old Oct 2, 2020, 2:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
100% agree, I never said otherwise.

And don't forget that come next Tuesday (Oct. 6th) it'll have 2 when AA opens in T1.
Awesome! I will get to check it out on dayone! The AC was closed in the ORD G concourse when I was there on Tuesday.

James
Old Oct 2, 2020, 3:12 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Is this confirmed for the handful of additional ACs? I haven't seen any update outside of the original speculation a few weeks ago, and couldn't find anything on AA's website.

Edit: found the news posting by AA, but with the quick scan I did, all it states is "October" with no set date. https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...9/default.aspx

Last edited by safari ari; Oct 2, 2020 at 3:32 pm
Old Oct 2, 2020, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by safari ari
Is this confirmed for the handful of additional ACs? I haven't seen any update outside of the original speculation a few weeks ago, and couldn't find anything on AA's website.

Edit: found the news posting by AA, but with the quick scan I did, all it states is "October" with no set date. https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...9/default.aspx
I'm going off of Chris McGinnis' piece in the SF Chronicle from a couple of weeks ago. I don't know specific dates for the other clubs, or if they were defined to local media in those markets.

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...b-15566724.php
Old Nov 9, 2020, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I miss the old Boardroom, the staff was always wonderful.

Do we have an ETA (in 2021) on the new lounge? The concession in T-2 are nice but always good to have a lounge option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.