Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

The New SFO Alaska Lounge (Opened 8/31/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The New SFO Alaska Lounge (Opened 8/31/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2020, 10:02 am

Programs: Mileage Plan
Originally Posted by safari ari
Considering the eerie emptiness I have experienced in SFO, compared to the rest of the WC airports I've flown through, I don't see any short term push for the SFO lounge being anywhere close to making a list of priorities. Still waiting for 10/1 to see what windfall the airline industry takes.
Should we low-key just expect SFO traffic to eventually fade and AS to drop the hub in 2022 as people decide to not return to the Bay?
Old Sep 8, 2020, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mfolf
Should we low-key just expect SFO traffic to eventually fade and AS to drop the hub in 2022 as people decide to not return to the Bay?
Considering there are 8 million people in the bay area, and that it's the world hub for tech, biotech, and venture capital, that seems a bit of a stretch.

One of the reasons SFO seems emptier than some other airports is the four terminals are essentially independent. JFK, which is similarly organized, feels similarly empty. By contrast, at SEA (for example) everyone basically funnels through a single terminal.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by mfolf
Henny Penny has been screaming the sky is falling around here for years. From the military pull out to the first dot com crash to the real estate crash to today ... while today the sky is gray and the sun peeking through it is orange, fortunately, by the time Turkey Lurkey hears about the event, it turns out to be a false alarm. Always some contraction and reset, but it doesn't seem to last long. (That said, there are a few pockets where property values have barely recovered from 2006/7 levels, but others have more than doubled since then.)
Old Sep 10, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Considering travel to Asia is essentially not happening right now, it's not surprising that SFO numbers have dropped off dramatically. It's essentially become one of 3 domestic airports servicing the bay (not counting STS or Monterey). Unless you live on the peninsula you would rather fly in to OAK or SJC for a strictly domestic flight.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 7:35 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
For those AL members wanting to make the trek to T1, AA's club is finally opening on October 6th at SFO:

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...MqbGuajze3WtoA
Old Sep 15, 2020, 8:29 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
For those AL members wanting to make the trek to T1, AA's club is finally opening on October 6th at SFO:

But do AS members get access to the AC in SFO now? I speculated a few months ago it would be a good way for AA to get some additional money, but i'm also sure CA law will make them significantly reduce capacity.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 8:53 am

But do AS members get access to the AC in SFO now? I speculated a few months ago it would be a good way for AA to get some additional money, but i'm also sure CA law will make them significantly reduce capacity.
Yes they do and yes, the article states that the 208 seat club will operate at 50% capacity.
safari ari likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The trek to that part of T1 is no easy feat right now. It is not connected airside to T2 and you can't walk landside between the two (due to construction) unless you loop around the airport the other way. So it means up to the Airtrain (if it is operating), and a couple of security checkpoints. Note also that the C gate (DL and AS overflow) security checkpoint is not always open these days.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The trek to that part of T1 is no easy feat right now. It is not connected airside to T2 and you can't walk landside between the two (due to construction) unless you loop around the airport the other way. So it means up to the Airtrain (if it is operating), and a couple of security checkpoints. Note also that the C gate (DL and AS overflow) security checkpoint is not always open these days.
True, but its a little bit easier than the CX lounge was, for people who did that, or even the AX lounge.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

True, but its a little bit easier than the CX lounge was, for people who did that, or even the AX lounge.
Not easier than AX - that is a short landside walk. The area between T2 and the open part of T1 is completely blocked off.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 9:31 am

Not easier than AX - that is a short landside walk. The area between T2 and the open part of T1 is completely blocked off.
Agreed, I did Centurion in February and with Clear it was 7 minutes from T2 to inside the club in T3.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 6:21 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Agreed, I did Centurion in February and with Clear it was 7 minutes from T2 to inside the club in T3.
Everything was different in February. As an often Alaska flyer with a life Admirals Club membership not sure if I'd make the trek outside the lovely AS SFO terminal (thanks VX!) to check out the lounge more than once TBH.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 8:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Is the rooftop terrace at T2 open? If the air quality is good, think I'd trek up there before I went all the way over to the Admiral's Club in T1.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 1:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
One can also cut through the Domestic Parking Garage to get between T1 & T2 as an alternative to the AirTrain.

Originally Posted by tom911
Is the rooftop terrace at T2 open? If the air quality is good, think I'd trek up there before I went all the way over to the Admiral's Club in T1.
According to the SFO website, it's closed. The Outdoor Terrace at the end of Intl G is open however, but that's a further trek from T2 than the AC in T1.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 6:52 pm

Programs: Gold 75K
And according to Cathay Pacific website, the SFO lounge is closed. So we don't have to worry about an Airtrain ride and clearing security twice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.