Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

The New SFO Alaska Lounge (Opened 8/31/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The New SFO Alaska Lounge (Opened 8/31/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2021, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Agreed about access to the Centurion Lounge!
Old Mar 6, 2021, 8:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
Hi again,

On a weeknight about 8:30pm, the stores and eateries were closed. A nice new feature in SFO Terminal 2 is a new water bottle fill station that includes a hot water option.

Looks like I can't count lounge benefits as I once did. So I'll be, instead, carrying some food for travel.
I thought that was a giant hand sanitizing station. New as of a week or two ago. Pretty cool with different water options. Oh, doing the terminal shuffle should still be fine- went to T3 twice in the past month.

Originally Posted by tom911
The connector between T2 and T3 is on the schedule for October completion, so if that happens it would open up two Priority Pass restaurants that would be easier to access than T1.
That's awesome. Was wondering its timeline.

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
And more importantly for some (me!), the Centurion. The time and convenience will be nice once done.
Yup- saves me the TSA shuffle and get some quality food and drink.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS — views are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer
T2-T3 connection progress shots! (The total project includes offices above, which explains the height.) To be clear, still no new updates on the lounge.

Last edited by skyblue; Mar 10, 2021 at 12:45 pm
Old Apr 8, 2021, 8:18 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Any speculation on what will become of the space that was to be the "new" AL @ SFO? I was really looking forward to the outdoor observation deck, but I guess there will be a small amount of nostalgia to be back in the old AC @ T2.

https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2021-...by-summer-2021
ItsAnAdam likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 9:02 am

On a somewhat serious note, maybe they can see if AA will sell them those trees that were in the rotunda space, although perhaps they'd be considered a fire hazard surrounding the fire feature that AS has put in this rendering:

Old Apr 8, 2021, 9:08 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Is that a fire feature? It looked like some kind of plant to me.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by navydevildoc
Looks like it to me.

Old Apr 8, 2021, 9:16 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Huh, guess you are right. No way the fire marshal signs off on that, and if they do the first time some kid's pony tail catches fire while screwing around with the fire feature while their non-attentive parent is using the Pancake Printer will ensure it's never turned on again.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Huh, guess you are right. No way the fire marshal signs off on that, and if they do the first time some kid's pony tail catches fire while screwing around with the fire feature while their non-attentive parent is using the Pancake Printer will ensure it's never turned on again.
Well, that depends on the fire marshal ...
Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:15 am

So since I've got some free time on my hands this am, I decided to move my speculation question into an active investigation. Here's what I found:

A call to SFO was greeted by a baffled operator who had no clue what I was trying to figure out, but I requested Ivar's office (Dir. of Airport Ops) and his Executive Assistant was a treasure trove of info.!

According to her, the initial idea (after retail pulling the plug on their preliminary contract for the former AC space) was to offer it to AS, at much more favorable terms than were discussed before. AS' jumped at this, as it lowers their budget and the finishing/renovation costs are astronomically lower than what was on the table before. Simultaneously, the Amoura Employee Cafeteria (SFO and Airline Badged employees) which was located in T1, but has been closed since Covid) was floated the idea of taking over the upstairs space that was to become the new AL Lounge. They jumped at that, of course, but what's under discussion now (and TBD) is the possibility of also making it open to the public as another option for landside food & beverage, since that currently consists of only the Starbucks in T2.

Interesting stuff, we'll see where the chips (and salsa?) land...
steve64, tom911, Boraxo and 8 others like this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
So since I've got some free time on my hands this am, I decided to move my speculation question into an active investigation. Here's what I found:

A call to SFO was greeted by a baffled operator who had no clue what I was trying to figure out, but I requested Ivar's office (Dir. of Airport Ops) and his Executive Assistant was a treasure trove of info.!

According to her, the initial idea (after retail pulling the plug on their preliminary contract for the former AC space) was to offer it to AS, at much more favorable terms than were discussed before. AS' jumped at this, as it lowers their budget and the finishing/renovation costs are astronomically lower than what was on the table before. Simultaneously, the Amoura Employee Cafeteria (SFO and Airline Badged employees) which was located in T1, but has been closed since Covid) was floated the idea of taking over the upstairs space that was to become the new AL Lounge. They jumped at that, of course, but what's under discussion now (and TBD) is the possibility of also making it open to the public as another option for landside food & beverage, since that currently consists of only the Starbucks in T2.

Thanks for sharing the info on your research. Like the extra square footage - will miss the view and the deck.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It will be nice to have an AS lounge sooner rather than later.

That said, I was not a fan of the space when it was an AC - it's basically a single big room, and noise really carries.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
It will be nice to have an AS lounge sooner rather than later.

That said, I was not a fan of the space when it was an AC - it's basically a single big room, and noise really carries.
I agree with you on all, and in the before times, T2 was about as pleasant as a place with excellent food/drink options as one could wish for at any airport.

As a mostly paid F pax, it'll be nice to not have to fork over a sizable amount of cash for pre-flight cocktails when departing with my partner and maybe they'll consider a s'mores pack for that fire feature. ;-)
Kacee and simonsuo like this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 10:02 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE

Great sleuthing! Thank you.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 10:03 am

Probably a fake fire feature, with cold "smoke" from a vapor machine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.