Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

The New SFO Alaska Lounge (Opened 8/31/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The New SFO Alaska Lounge (Opened 8/31/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:51 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan
Originally Posted by jhurwitz
Anyone know whether this photo is of the T2 public observation deck or the T2 AS lounge deck? My guess would be the former but I have no way of knowing.
Very much the former. The observation deck is opening next Friday
Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:58 pm

Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any chance AS will bring us drinks while we sit on the observation deck?
jimmygottfredson and DrAlex like this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:14 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Maybe once the PDBs happen consistently ON THE PLANE.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 12:13 am
Suspended

Programs: DL 360, UA 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The 737 will be retired before AS has quasi-waiter service bringing drinks to folks out on the deck. Ain’t gonna happen - they’re too cheap to really embrace a nice feature and let it be great.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In case it's not clear, I was just kidding. I did not mean it as a jab against AS
DrAlex likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:23 am

I went to a preview of the new T2 Sky Terrace yesterday and asked several SFO employees there for updates on the upcoming AS lounge. The people I talked to didn't seem to know much about the AS lounge, but I did learn that the space has been delivered to AS and it is ready for them to begin their build-out. Nobody knew when it would open.

I also tried to learn whether the AS lounge would include an outdoor deck. (Quoting from SFGATE last year: "Oddly, you'll look onto what appears to be an outdoor observation deck, but Judson said that "for the time being there will not be any outdoor access." That's too bad since outdoor space and fresh air are so coveted by frequent fliers. But who knows, maybe it's tied up in permitting for now and will eventually open. Stay tuned.") It sounds like there are currently no publicly announced plans to include an outdoor component to the AS lounge, but that still might change.

Finally, I also noticed that yesterday's blog post announcing the new AA partnership claims that this T2 lounge is opening this fall. Gives me hope that it might actually open before end of year!
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:40 am

Programs: AS, UA, AA, HiltonHonors
I went to a preview of the new T2 Sky Terrace yesterday and asked several SFO employees there for updates on the upcoming AS lounge. The people I talked to didn't seem to know much about the AS lounge, but I did learn that the space has been delivered to AS and it is ready for them to begin their build-out. Nobody knew when it would open.

I also tried to learn whether the AS lounge would include an outdoor deck. (Quoting from SFGATE last year: "Oddly, you'll look onto what appears to be an outdoor observation deck, but Judson said that "for the time being there will not be any outdoor access." That's too bad since outdoor space and fresh air are so coveted by frequent fliers. But who knows, maybe it's tied up in permitting for now and will eventually open. Stay tuned.") It sounds like there are currently no publicly announced plans to include an outdoor component to the AS lounge, but that still might change.

Finally, I also noticed that yesterday's blog post announcing the new AA partnership claims that this T2 lounge is opening this fall. Gives me hope that it might actually open before end of year!
As an SFO-born-and-raised Bay Area veteran, including 20 years working in the now-removed control towers above T2 (we did have an outside "patio" area that was only used by smokers), I would expect that most people probably won't spend much time on an outdoor observation deck there, at least not without a serious outer wrap on. That applies for the better part of ten months out of 12. I, for one, look forward to enjoying the AS lounge, gazing outside through a thick window, while enjoying that adult beverage.
ctporter and mildfrequence like this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 7:05 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by RetiredSFOATC
As an SFO-born-and-raised Bay Area veteran, including 20 years working in the now-removed control towers above T2 (we did have an outside "patio" area that was only used by smokers), I would expect that most people probably won't spend much time on an outdoor observation deck there, at least not without a serious outer wrap on. That applies for the better part of ten months out of 12. I, for one, look forward to enjoying the AS lounge, gazing outside through a thick window, while enjoying that adult beverage.
As someone who spent part of yesterday picnicking in Dolores Park, the thing is that we never know which two months of the year will have consistent warm weather.
DrAlex and mildfrequence like this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
As someone who spent part of yesterday picnicking in Dolores Park, the thing is that we never know which two months of the year will have consistent warm weather.
Those months end in R, Y, H, L, E, or T
Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by RetiredSFOATC
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
I suppose it feels these days unbecomingly like one of them could be February. Casual tourists probably still expect July to be warmer than September and October. Then again, you know how the saying goes. There’s no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes.

When I was at the AS gate a little more than a week ago, none of the agents knew about the observation deck to open close to a week later. And then it appeared that the deck isn’t by the AS gate since it’s up high and one end of International G is vertically inbetween by the other end of Terminal 2. Does that sound about right?

I have never met anyone who didn’t enjoy a refreshing beverage. -David Letterman
Old Feb 17, 2020, 8:35 am

Programs: AS 1MM/MVPG, AS Lounge, DL SkyClub (Life), Hertz 5* -- AA, DL, UA

I visited on Sat. 15th - sunny, breezy with a chance of jetfuel fumes. Pleasant area, photos of SFO history. Not a large space - more indoor than outdoor. Limited view down the alley between T2 and T3.

I saw a structure bumped up from the roof midway down T2. Is that the AL to be?
Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by akdancer
I saw a structure bumped up from the roof midway down T2. Is that the AL to be?
No, I don't think so. My understanding is that the Alaska Lounge is in the mirror image location opposite the security checkpoint. So, if the Sky Terrace is immediately to the left of security (kind of above the AA check-in area) then the AL is immediately to the right of security (kind of above the AS check-in area).

Because of some of the structures in the middle of the terminal (offices?) you could not see the future AL from the Sky Terrace.

The construction renderings on this site should hopefully give a better sense of the layout I'm describing. (Interestingly, they show an outdoor terrace on the lounge side!)
Old Jun 10, 2020, 7:51 pm

According to a recent article in the Business Times, the SFO lounge is no longer scheduled to open by end-of-year.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 2:27 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
According to a recent article in the Business Times, the SFO lounge is no longer scheduled to open by end-of-year.
*insert shock and awe* Who didn't see this coming?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.