Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

The New SFO Alaska Lounge (Opened 8/31/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The New SFO Alaska Lounge (Opened 8/31/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Kenya Airways Gold
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
*insert shock and awe* Who didn't see this coming?
I, for one, certainly didn’t see this coming... “this” being them actually announcing the delay before the end of 2020

Definitely expected the delay in general tho
Old Jun 23, 2020, 9:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jhurwitz
According to a recent article in the Business Times, the SFO lounge is no longer scheduled to open by end-of-year.
Blocked article - lame.

So, is it supposed to open in the 2020's?
Old Jun 23, 2020, 10:07 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
My favorite thing that made me laugh (not lounge related):

Alaska is doubling its nonstop destinations from Oakland International Airport, going from one nonstop destination during the last week of June to two in July.
See! The commitment to OAK is solid!
Old Jun 23, 2020, 10:11 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Wonder if AA will think about letting AS members into the lounge for 2020 at least. I know the SFO AC is relatively small, but with the hit both are taking numbers wise, and the extra money AA would love to squeeze out, perhaps they will think about allowing AS access during low times, almost PP-esque.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
My favorite thing that made me laugh (not lounge related):

See! The commitment to OAK is solid!
As is a dry turd.
navydevildoc likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 10:34 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by safari ari
Wonder if AA will think about letting AS members into the lounge for 2020 at least. I know the SFO AC is relatively small, but with the hit both are taking numbers wise, and the extra money AA would love to squeeze out, perhaps they will think about allowing AS access during low times, almost PP-esque.
The T2 AC is now closed and the new AC in T1 is operating strictly as a Service Center - no seating, no food & beverage due to COVID-19.

Current pic of the former AC in T2:

Last edited by NoLaGent; Jun 23, 2020 at 11:25 pm Reason: Clarity - this is former AC in T2
Old Jun 24, 2020, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This is almost certainly a cash conservation move by AS. They could have continued construction if they wished.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
The T2 AC is now closed and the new AC in T1 is operating strictly as a Service Center - no seating, no food & beverage due to COVID-19.
Right, forgot they opened the AC in T1 in March, I had just visited the T2 AC in early February. I am assuming it is much bigger now, but like you said still closed, even though some ACs are opening up this week in hubs. I have also seen a substantial cut of AA flights to SFO through July, and obviously UA has cut a lot too. So thought it might make sense to allow access to AS people in the last part of 2020, barring capacity restrictions.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by safari ari
Right, forgot they opened the AC in T1 in March, I had just visited the T2 AC in early February. I am assuming it is much bigger now, but like you said still closed, even though some ACs are opening up this week in hubs. I have also seen a substantial cut of AA flights to SFO through July, and obviously UA has cut a lot too. So thought it might make sense to allow access to AS people in the last part of 2020, barring capacity restrictions.
It actually never opened, the move to T1 was delayed until last month. But to your point, I think it'd make sense for them to become reciprocal once AS opens the AL in T2, whenever that may be.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 5:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
If this is where the SFO lounge is going, think it's pretty safe to say it won't be this year.

Old Aug 30, 2020, 5:05 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan
Originally Posted by tom911
If this is where the SFO lounge is going, think it's pretty safe to say it won't be this year.
That's construction on a T2/3 connector that started back in January. It's completely unrelated to the space where the Alaska Lounge is set to be.
tom911 and navydevildoc like this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by Kacee
This is almost certainly a cash conservation move by AS. They could have continued construction if they wished.
AS could have temporarily move in to Closed SFO Admiralclub..... but nope.

Jiburi
Old Sep 3, 2020, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by jiburi
AS could have temporarily move in to Closed SFO Admiralclub..... but nope.

Jiburi
To be fair, they actually couldn't. The airport quite rightly wanted their share of the (pre-Covid) much more valuable retail revenue from that real estate.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 4:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
To be fair, they actually couldn't. The airport quite rightly wanted their share of the (pre-Covid) much more valuable retail revenue from that real estate.
Ahh pre-covid air travel... how I miss thee. I'm told AS lounge development plans are unofficially on hold for the foreseeable future. I have not been told any details specifically mentioning the SFO lounge plans, but given the dramatic drop in SFO traffic, I think its fair to say the SFO lounge is on the "hold" list.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by jjmadison
Ahh pre-covid air travel... how I miss thee. I'm told AS lounge development plans are unofficially on hold for the foreseeable future. I have not been told any details specifically mentioning the SFO lounge plans, but given the dramatic drop in SFO traffic, I think its fair to say the SFO lounge is on the "hold" list.
Considering the eerie emptiness I have experienced in SFO, compared to the rest of the WC airports I've flown through, I don't see any short term push for the SFO lounge being anywhere close to making a list of priorities. Still waiting for 10/1 to see what windfall the airline industry takes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.