Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2017, 12:20 pm

Does CX ever release more than 2 J seats on the HKG-MLE route once the initial 2 redemption seats are booked? Apparently CX released 2 seats and someone snatched them even though I was checking BA website everyday for availability.

Is it close in when they release?
Also, anyway to track release of the award seats?

I'm checking on BA website for this upcoming week (more than 5 days out) and see no availability at all.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I just canceled two business class seats for 12/11/17 LAX-HKG-AKL ... sometimes these go back into inventory, so if anyone is looking for something like that... act quick...
Dec 11 or 12 Nov?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:45 pm

Can anyone answer this. I am looking to fly from either SIN or CGK to HKG (not a stop over) then to YVR with a stop over in YVR and then on to BOS a few days later. Is it possible to to do this on one Alaska award? This will either be Business 60000 or First 70000 points? Can I fly premium economy on one of these CX segments (such as YVR to BOS? in case business or first is not available) or is it like AA where only economy, business and first are available?

If this is not possible would it be better to use Asia miles points instead to book this? I know they are much more but I assume they allow more stop overs.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by dr0832
Can anyone answer this. I am looking to fly from either SIN or CGK to HKG (not a stop over) then to YVR with a stop over in YVR and then on to BOS a few days later. Is it possible to to do this on one Alaska award? This will either be Business 60000 or First 70000 points? Can I fly premium economy on one of these CX segments (such as YVR to BOS? in case business or first is not available) or is it like AA where only economy, business and first are available?
If this is not possible would it be better to use Asia miles points instead to book this? I know they are much more but I assume they allow more stop overs.
No stopover in YVR on one award (unless you get an incompetent agent), must be two awards.

Also, getting HKG-YVR (or return) in biz or first is super difficult unless you are extremely flexible with your dates. Even with Asia Miles this is super hard.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Can I fly premium economy on one of these CX segments (such as YVR to BOS? in case business or first is not available) or is it like AA where only economy, business and first are available?
CX doesn't fly YVR to BOS. Are you confusing BOS with JFK?

You would need to go:

CGK-HKG-YVR CX
YVR-SEA/PDX-BOS AS

You may, in fact, be able to get a stopover in the CX gateway if all that are involved after your stopover are AS flights. I've been successful getting stopovers when only AS segments are involved in the stopover while on CX awards (in fact, I've had nine month stopovers in SEA).

What you won't be able to do is fly CGK-HKG-YVR(stop)-JFK all on CX (or connect at JFK to AA/DL going to BOS, AS only allows one partner per redemption and themselves, and AS doesn't fly JFK-BOS). The only place they will let you take a stopover on CX metal is HKG.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Mar 9, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:35 pm

Hi
If I want to get a SEA to SIN F Award on CX using Alaska miles, would it also cost 70k miles ?

Thank you!
Old Mar 9, 2017, 11:36 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Delete

Last edited by TalkingPoint; Apr 1, 2017 at 11:51 am
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
CX doesn't fly YVR to BOS. Are you confusing BOS with JFK?

You would need to go:

CGK-HKG-YVR CX
YVR-SEA/PDX-BOS AS

You may, in fact, be able to get a stopover in the CX gateway if all that are involved after your stopover are AS flights. I've been successful getting stopovers when only AS segments are involved in the stopover while on CX awards (in fact, I've had nine month stopovers in SEA).

What you won't be able to do is fly CGK-HKG-YVR(stop)-JFK all on CX (or connect at JFK to AA/DL going to BOS, AS only allows one partner per redemption and themselves, and AS doesn't fly JFK-BOS). The only place they will let you take a stopover on CX metal is HKG.

What if I did something like:

CX---> SIN-HKG-YVR Open Jaw, AS --> SEA-JFK and then just separate award on AA points or purchase a flight from JFK-BOS? Would this be one award on AS?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:09 am

Hi -

No.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 9:11 am

Question for the experienced ones... if I'm extremely diligent with my searching for last-minute availability, what are the chances of snagging 2F from BOS/JFK/ORD to HKG on December 22/23?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
What if I did something like:

CX---> SIN-HKG-YVR Open Jaw, AS --> SEA-JFK and then just separate award on AA points or purchase a flight from JFK-BOS? Would this be one award on AS?
That's not an open jaw (open jaw is AAA-BBB with a BBB-CCC return, the open jaw is the distance between where you start and where you finish, but that only works for round trips). That is two awards.

AS flies SEA-BOS so I don't get the point of the AA award.

Have you tried booking the award as I originally suggested, stopover in YVR and using only AS metal to get to BOS?

(It may be difficult to find award inventory on a transcon. Also, your award is easier to book using Asia Miles since you could mix in AA, CX and AS flights rather than be restricted by AS rules that do not allow AA and CX on the same award).
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:00 pm

My mistake I got CX mixed up with AA. AS fly's SEA-BOS. CX fly's YVZ-JFK which is why I needed to add on another flight JFK-BOS. I haven't tried this because I have to call to try and haven't had the time yet. I have enough points for a one way on AS in first class. I have enough points for for a one way using Asia miles or AA in business class. On the way there BOS-HKG in Business class and first is available. On the way back HKG-VYZ is only available in first or economy which is why I was trying to use the AS points.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My mistake I got CX mixed up with AA. AS fly's SEA-BOS. CX fly's YVZ-JFK which is why I needed to add on another flight JFK-BOS. I haven't tried this because I have to call to try and haven't had the time yet. I have enough points for a one way on AS in first class. I have enough points for for a one way using Asia miles or AA in business class. On the way there BOS-HKG in Business class and first is available. On the way back HKG-VYZ is only available in first or economy which is why I was trying to use the AS points.
Do you realize AS program does not let you use more than one partner?

AS award chart is PARTNER SPECIFIC. You can only use CX and AS on one award.

Hence if your needs to go to BOS, the only ways you could do it with an AS award is to either fly CX HKG-BOS, or fly CX HKG-LAX, then AS LAX-SEA-BOS.

You cannot fly HKG-JFK-BOS on single AS award. You could of course, just fly the JFK-BOS using other means whether it is AA/ BA or pay ticket or even by train!

As advised, trying to find CX J and F on the HKG-YVR route either direction, is much more difficult than on the HKG-LAX, or HKG-JFK on either direction.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AA PLT, DL GM, SPG GLD, Hyatt GLD, SPG GLD
Originally Posted by flyer05
Question for the experienced ones... if I'm extremely diligent with my searching for last-minute availability, what are the chances of snagging 2F from BOS/JFK/ORD to HKG on December 22/23?
On the Friday or Saturday before the holiday, heading to Hong Kong? Not so good...
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:48 pm

Yes you misunderstood. What you described is exactly what I meant. I need to get to BOS, actually PVD is where I live, but I can use points for a separate award or just pay for this JFK to BOS flight since it's $50. This is if I were to go the CX route from YVZ to JFK. If I go YVZ-SEA-BOS then it would be AS combined with CX from SIN so the key now is to see if they would some how allow this YVZ stopover. Otherwise I will just use some Aero plane points from YVZ-BOS.

Originally Posted by Happy
Do you realize AS program does not let you use more than one partner?

AS award chart is PARTNER SPECIFIC. You can only use CX and AS on one award.

Hence if your needs to go to BOS, the only ways you could do it with an AS award is to either fly CX HKG-BOS, or fly CX HKG-LAX, then AS LAX-SEA-BOS.

You cannot fly HKG-JFK-BOS on single AS award. You could of course, just fly the JFK-BOS using other means whether it is AA/ BA or pay ticket or even by train!

As advised, trying to find CX J and F on the HKG-YVR route either direction, is much more difficult than on the HKG-LAX, or HKG-JFK on either direction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.