Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2017, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by frudd38
Is HND-HKG(stop)-LAX a valid 50k/70k routing in J/F?
Originally Posted by Merlinrnr
Yes it is. And if you go F they still fly F on the HND-HKG leg.
When it comes to North America as Origin/Destination you can always go through the partners hub city (unless of course the final destination is not allowed on an ex North American award)
Old Mar 14, 2017, 1:40 am

Interesting experience with my CX F award in December (HKG-LAX) today.

Couldn't view my booking on AS and it showed to call them because of a flight schedule.

Seems CX898 is no longer and was bumped to CX884. Only thing was, when I logged onto the CX website to select my seat it would only give me a choice of window vs. aisle.

Chose Window and a few minutes later it was showing my seat as 1A.

Can't change it, can't see the seat map on the CX Website.

Has anyone else experienced this with AS awards? Previous to this change I didn't have an issue pulling up the seatmap and with my CX J award I can still update my seat assignment.

Not an issue, just curious if it's an IT quirk or if CX are limiting seat selection to AS awards.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress
I specifically asked the phone rep if I was being charged the phone booking fee and she said no because you are not able to book it online. And the summary of fees on my reservation confirms that it was not charged.
Well, I was charged the phone booking fee for a CX award and I'm 75K so go figure ...Funny thing is that after they couldn't refund the charged booking fee, but I did get a discount certificate that was way more than the booking fee for my troubles ^
Old Mar 14, 2017, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jinglish
I must admit the chart is confusing as Dubai also comes under Asia on it. Thanks for your help ^
Old Mar 14, 2017, 7:44 am

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Was able to book two CX F one ways (out of Bos and JFK) 9 months out. Used JL to search. However, on my outbound (JFK-HKG) F was available only to HKG, but no seats at all to TLV which is my final destination. I took the JFK-HKG flight, and plan to add the TLV flight as it opens. But I can't seem to search for HKG-TLV flights on JL. Anyone no a work around besides calling AS daily to check?
Old Mar 14, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Quinlanty
Was able to book two CX F one ways (out of Bos and JFK) 9 months out. Used JL to search. However, on my outbound (JFK-HKG) F was available only to HKG, but no seats at all to TLV which is my final destination. I took the JFK-HKG flight, and plan to add the TLV flight as it opens. But I can't seem to search for HKG-TLV flights on JL. Anyone no a work around besides calling AS daily to check?
BA. Also remember there are only 4 flights/week without F in that route.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Quinlanty
But I can't seem to search for HKG-TLV flights on JL. Anyone no a work around besides calling AS daily to check?
TLV is not considered Asia so no JL awards are allowed. That is why your search is failing. If you are looking at the award chart map, ignore it, its not an accurate representation of award regions.

It should be bookable on CX though

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_.../tel-aviv.html

Its possible it may fall under middle east on CX. 4 days weekly starting this month. Otherwise separate its a separate Europe award.

Last edited by CDKing; Mar 14, 2017 at 10:08 am
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onlysuites
I must admit the chart is confusing as Dubai also comes under Asia on it. Thanks for your help ^
Ignore the map its not accurate when it comes to AS regions. DXB falls under middle east.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
Ignore the map its not accurate when it comes to AS regions. DXB falls under middle east.
Novice mistake. Should have checked on FT first. I simply went off their website. Ended up transferring 200 VX miles over which are useless now.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by sleepro
BA. Also remember there are only 4 flights/week without F in that route.
I have been looking for those flights (HKG-TLV) on CX via the BA site, and it never shows anything either
Old Mar 14, 2017, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Novice mistake. Should have checked on FT first. I simply went off their website. Ended up transferring 200 VX miles over which are useless now.
Hardly useless; HKG-MNL is 7500 Avios on BA in Y on CX, 15k in C. You wanted a stopover in HKG anyway, regardless of coming from AMS or DXB, right? Either a modest number of Avios or a relatively inexpensive cash ticket for MNL will do the trick in giving you a "stopover".

(I am doing a CX segment with Avios on BKK-HKG for $120 and 8k Avios in conjunction with an AS award because I want to use the free stopover elsewhere. Even if I get CX regional business this seems like a decent deal for me; cash fares in Y on LCCs are $100, and there's $30 of taxes baked in, so fares can't get a lot lower.)
Old Mar 14, 2017, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Polarbear19
Interesting experience with my CX F award in December (HKG-LAX) today.

Couldn't view my booking on AS and it showed to call them because of a flight schedule.

Seems CX898 is no longer and was bumped to CX884. Only thing was, when I logged onto the CX website to select my seat it would only give me a choice of window vs. aisle.

Has anyone else experienced this with AS awards? Previous to this change I didn't have an issue pulling up the seatmap and with my CX J award I can still update my seat assignment.

Not an issue, just curious if it's an IT quirk or if CX are limiting seat selection to AS awards.
My experience with selecting seats on CX's website is that the seat map only shows up the first time you select a seat. Once I have a seat, I can no longer see the seat map or change my seat without calling in. This has been the case for me for more than 10 reservations on both AS and AA awards. So I don't think CX is restricting seats for awards. I think that might just be the way their system is set up.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Hardly useless; HKG-MNL is 7500 Avios on BA in Y on CX, 15k in C. You wanted a stopover in HKG anyway, regardless of coming from AMS or DXB, right? Either a modest number of Avios or a relatively inexpensive cash ticket for MNL will do the trick in giving you a "stopover".

(I am doing a CX segment with Avios on BKK-HKG for $120 and 8k Avios in conjunction with an AS award because I want to use the free stopover elsewhere. Even if I get CX regional business this seems like a decent deal for me; cash fares in Y on LCCs are $100, and there's $30 of taxes baked in, so fares can't get a lot lower.)
Good point. ^
Old Mar 14, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by Polarbear19

From my experience CX won't display the seat map if a significant schedule change has occurred (like in your case) and/or if the aircraft was swapped and your old seat number doesn't exist (like a regional 333 to a long haul 333).
Old Mar 14, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by ukinny2000
I have been looking for those flights (HKG-TLV) on CX via the BA site, and it never shows anything either
I saw availability on the second day I checked (October 29th, pY). TLV is in the Middle East region (sitting on a CX award TLV-HKG-SFO in May). When I first booked, TLV was available just about every day in J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.