Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2017, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Depends what you mean. I do not know if you can combine it with a TPAC, for example, but I know you can book it independently and it is rather cheap and easier to find that AS flights.
VX is considered a partner, so no booking VX and CX in one award.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 9:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Is HND-HKG(stop)-LAX a valid 50k/70k routing in J/F?
Old Mar 12, 2017, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by agjil
Does AS waive the phone booking fee for awards that cannot be booked online?
CX flights would be the prime example.
Thank you-!
Only for MVPG+ is this fee waived.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by beckoa
Maybe a one time thing but AS did not charge me phone booking fee on my CX F award and i have no status with AS.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by frudd38
Is HND-HKG(stop)-LAX a valid 50k/70k routing in J/F?
Yes it is. And if you go F they still fly F on the HND-HKG leg.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress
Maybe a one time thing but AS did not charge me phone booking fee on my CX F award and i have no status with AS.
I would double check in the Alaska site using your PNR to manage the reservation to see if this is case. Normally the phone booking fee attaches automatically and even though I'm 75K I have to ask for it to be removed or else they charge it. Sometimes they just tell you the tax fee =X, but X actually includes the phone booking fee. Not trying to rain on your parade or anything, but I've been charged the phone booking fee in cases where the agent on the phone has only told me that the fee is for taxes. I now specifically ask for the phone booking fee to be removed when making a booking.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
No status here. This is from an intra-asia CX J booking made by phone last month:

From email:
Base Fare and Surcharges: $6.00
Taxes and Other Fees: $45.10
Partner Award Booking Fee: $12.50
Traveler total:

Total fare: USD $63.60

From taxes breakthrough on website:
Base fare 22,500 miles
Surcharges $6.00
Hong Kong Airport Construction Fee $20.60
South Korea International Psc Departure Tax And Global Disease Eradication Fund $24.50

Chase shows I was charged 51.10 USD and 12.50 USD separately with no further charges. So it looks like the call centre fee was waived without being mentioned? (I'm a newbie with Alaska so it's possible I'm missing something obvious).

Funny enough I want to also check my NA-HKG-JNB longhaul on CX F but Alaska gives me this error: "Due to flight schedule changes, manual assistance is required on this reservation. Call Alaska Airlines at 1-800-ALASKAAIR (1-800-252-7522) at your earliest convenience."

But by looking at Chase, it shows they made a separate 25 USD charge fro this reservation, which is probably the phone booking fee.

So the answer is it will be waived if you're lucky?
Old Mar 13, 2017, 6:09 am

There is NO phone booking fee for CX awards. The rep told me this explicitly when I booked an F and a J CX award ticket a month ago.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
Indeed - you found the Unicorn on the SEA-BOS in F that I have never seen - but of course I never try cold months. We avoid flying in / out East Coast between Nov and March. So no wonder I never see such availability.

YVR-SEA in F is no big deal, given the frequency and the very short flight. It is the transcon that is NON EXISTENT in the months we need them - ditto for my friend lives in Delaware, that he concludes anything East of Mississippi it is nonexistent - because both our searching concentrates in the Warmer Months shall we say.
That same route is available all through August in saver F. My recollection of living in the NE is that it's "warm" in August. My experience is it's the CX F seat out of Vancouver that's much harder to find than the AS transcon.

Just because they aren't available out of wherever you live in Florida doesn't mean they don't exist in many other places. Why insist that there are no unicorns, when you could be grilling unicorn steaks?
Old Mar 13, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by halamadrid
I would double check in the Alaska site using your PNR to manage the reservation to see if this is case. Normally the phone booking fee attaches automatically and even though I'm 75K I have to ask for it to be removed or else they charge it. Sometimes they just tell you the tax fee =X, but X actually includes the phone booking fee. Not trying to rain on your parade or anything, but I've been charged the phone booking fee in cases where the agent on the phone has only told me that the fee is for taxes. I now specifically ask for the phone booking fee to be removed when making a booking.
I specifically asked the phone rep if I was being charged the phone booking fee and she said no because you are not able to book it online. And the summary of fees on my reservation confirms that it was not charged.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Is AMS-HKG-MNL a valid routing? Can I get a stop over in HKG?
Old Mar 13, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Is AMS-HKG-MNL a valid routing? Can I get a stop over in HKG?
It'll require two separate awards; awards to/from Europe can only terminate/originate at HKG.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jinglish
It'll require two separate awards; awards to/from Europe can only terminate/originate at HKG.
Ok thanks. So other option is DXB-HKG-MNL without a stop. That's allowed right?
Old Mar 13, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Nope. Look at the award charts.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Still two awards. As stated, awards outside of Asia and North America always terminate or originate in HKG. Regardless of whether you start at AMS or DXB, HKG-MNL will be a second award. I would recommend using BA Avios for a second award if you choose that route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.