Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
BA can't be used inside of six days for CX awards, which is when seats are most likely to be released.
Good to know, thank you.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu
Good to know, thank you.
I'd find some flights from the U.S. inside of the next 6 days that show at least F3 on expertflyer, then call AS and see if they have awards. That should help you gauge. Good luck - Jamie
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:46 pm

I’ve read the wiki and am aware of the stated rules on award restrictions between regions on partner airlines. However, I found an anomaly when searching tickets online from Mexico to Asia. The award chart doesn’t show JAL as an option connecting from an AS flight originating in Mexico, but when I do an online search, it gives me options to connect with JAL onto Asia for the same amount of miles as flights originating in the US/Canada.

So, my question is, has anybody had success with this when trying to book a CX ticket connecting from an AS flight out of Mexico. I know it’s not on the award chart, but unlike JAL which isn’t supposed to be either you obviously can’t test a CX itinerary on the website to see if it may work as well.

I just wanted to through the question out there before calling and asking an agent.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
I'd find some flights from the U.S. inside of the next 6 days that show at least F3 on expertflyer, then call AS and see if they have awards. That should help you gauge. Good luck - Jamie
It would also depend on the load of the lower cabins. If J and PY are full it's quite likely that they'll hold back on F award space in anticipation of op-ups.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:00 pm

I need to book two seats in biz in May. I've been logging in on BA almost everyday and still can't find anything available for the dates I want. How far out do they normally release J seats?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
There may be releases close in. ExpertFlyer is going to be your friend here.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
I need to book two seats in biz in May. I've been logging in on BA almost everyday and still can't find anything available for the dates I want. How far out do they normally release J seats?
Keep checking every day. They release J seats usually 5-15 days before the flight.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu
Has anyone had luck recently with last minute F availability? I'm hoping to snag an upgrade from J to F on a transpacific sector. When comparing BA to ExpertFlyer for CX flights in the next two weeks, I the only flight I found with F available on BA.com was showing F=6; I found nothing for F=5 or less. My flight is still showing F=5, and I'm hoping availability opens up. J is wide open (for revenue bookings).
You can use JAL web site upto 4 days before flight and QF website upto about 24 hours before. I was able to book into F on CX845 (on a friday) within 48 hours three weeks ago, and into F on CX840 (on easter saturday) at 10 days before flight. A lot has to do with the loads which vary by day of the week. I used QF website as my guide.

DAK
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by pandas
I've been having the same issue recently. Or maybe my previous reservations just happened to work with the flights allotted to AS. The AS rep said something about "different negotiated rates" airlines have with CX. QF, BA, JL searches pretty much line up the same for me. I don't know which system would most clearly mirror Alaska's.
Ditto on this. BA/JL/QF are all showing consistent identical availability on the flight I need, which is 1 single direct flight and AS cannot see the First Class seats available and all the above sites show 2 available so I'm not getting it why AS can't see/book.

I specifically transferred SPG over to AS to book these but was unfortunately unaware that AS reps are having issues seeing premium cabin award availability that are showing as available on all the above sights. I was aware that there are no holds (which you can do with AA but for a lot more miles) so I waited until the SPG transfers went through to call to book. It's very frustrating. The rep put me on hold when I asked her to please double check and after about half an hour the music just stopped and I had gotten disconnected.....

Edit: Called back and the second rep did it right! First, I was transferred to international desk, which I was not the first time around. Then that rep said she needed to check her manual how to do this and when she searched she actually saw BOTH of those First Class seats which I of course immediately booked while doing a little dance . The process took almost half hour again but at least this time I walked away with 2 First Class seats .

Last edited by friedablass; Apr 24, 2017 at 10:27 pm Reason: Added results of second call
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by dkerr
You can use JAL web site upto 4 days before flight and QF website upto about 24 hours before. I was able to book into F on CX845 (on a friday) within 48 hours three weeks ago, and into F on CX840 (on easter saturday) at 10 days before flight. A lot has to do with the loads which vary by day of the week. I used QF website as my guide.

DAK
Helpful. I query awardnexus off BA usually, but will migrate to JL/QF a week out if I haven't already had luck by then. Also considering SGNNRTJFK if that's the only way to get the adults in F, but that means missing The Pier.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:11 pm

May i know from singapore to Europe via hk . Does it work ? Or it's only for hk to Europe but not ASIA to Europe
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by albertsworld
May i know from singapore to Europe via hk . Does it work ? Or it's only for hk to Europe but not ASIA to Europe
Europe award is to/from Hong Kong only. It would be 2 awards to get to Singapore.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA: EXP / AS:MVP75k / Hilton: Gold / Marriott Gold
I've read that some people have had success in booking a stopover in Bangkok or Singapore since CX offers non-stops to Singapore and Bangkok ie (HKG-BKK-SIN or BKK-SIN-HKG). Has anyone here successfully booked this?

EDIT: nvm I realized Intra-Asia is not allowed however, a non HKG (BKK or SIN) stopover can work as long as terminating or originating in NA.

Last edited by jelanizarathustra; Apr 27, 2017 at 6:40 pm
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by jelanizarathustra
I've read that some people have had success in booking a stopover in Bangkok or Singapore since CX offers non-stops to Singapore and Bangkok ie (HKG-BKK-SIN or BKK-SIN-HKG). Has anyone here successfully booked this?

EDIT: nvm I realized Intra-Asia is not allowed however, a non HKG (BKK or SIN) stopover can work as long as terminating or originating in NA.
I'm currently in HKG in the middle of the itinerary you are asking about with a 3-day stopover in BKK on route to SIN. But as you also mentioned I started in LAX.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by jelanizarathustra

Officially HKG is the only stop-over point on a to/from NA CX award

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.