Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 11:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by CDKing
Yes its allowed. I've done one, Beckoa i believe has done two or more on the route BOBW at least one (w/ beckoa). Its just a standard USA to Asia award.
Correct, have done several enroute to various Japan DO's

Gotta find that F space
Old May 5, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Right, but we're discussing the AS program, that doesn't have all those stupid arbitrary routing rules.
I am switching to AS program on 10/1 from AA. Flying mostly VX under AS program, where elite companions actually gets benefits. I've been waiting to get out of AA since they use revenue based mileage earning.

Does AS award on CX allow VX for the domestic segment?
Old May 5, 2017, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by The ITDA
I am switching to AS program on 10/1 from AA. Flying mostly VX under AS program, where elite companions actually gets benefits. I've been waiting to get out of AA since they use revenue based mileage earning.

As of a few weeks ago, no. The rep confirmed VX segments are not allowed on the award. But that who knows when MP will change their rules and to check back.
Old May 5, 2017, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

VX is a partner until further notice (this could last until VX no longer operates flights and all flights are on AS's single operating certificate). AS allows one partner per award. CX and VX would be two partners.
Old May 5, 2017, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
VX is a partner until further notice (this could last until VX no longer operates flights and all flights are on AS's single operating certificate). AS allows one partner per award. CX and VX would be two partners.
Agree it will probably be on SOC...
Old May 6, 2017, 3:03 am

I couldn't seem to find the answer here.... Does anyone have success booking USA-HKG(stopover)-NRT award?
Yes that's an acceptable routing.
Old May 6, 2017, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by bgrove
There's J award space showing on a BOS-HKG flight on BA/QF/JL, but when I called to book, the agent says there's no availability. It's frustrating because it's the last piece of a fairly complicated itinerary. Is this kind of phantom space common for cx awards?
I'm just following up on an earlier post of mine. I had tried to book this segment for next February a couple of times around the end of April without success, but I was finally able to book it today. So I guess the moral of the story is if space is showing as available, keep trying. It may just be slow to show up on Alaska's systems.
Old May 10, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Bah I finally managed to get the Alaska airline miles into my account and the seats I wanted are now gone. I can only hope something opens up closer in (third week of June-July) otherwise I'm pretty much dead in the water as to this vacation.
Old May 10, 2017, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Red259
Bah I finally managed to get the Alaska airline miles into my account and the seats I wanted are now gone. I can only hope something opens up closer in (third week of June-July) otherwise I'm pretty much dead in the water as to this vacation.
That's the disadvantage of transferring into AS when it's not instantaneous.

ExpertFlyer may well be worth the money here.

JL has some F award availability out of JFK on 6/16, with a return on 7/4. If you're willing to use a positioning flight there's even more. If you have loads of UR like you say, worst case is you pay UR points for the flight in cash...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 10, 2017 at 5:55 pm
Old May 10, 2017, 6:15 pm

JL has some F award availability out of JFK on 6/16, with a return on 7/4. If you're willing to use a positioning flight there's even more. If you have loads of UR like you say, worst case is you pay UR points for the flight in cash...
Will JL open up a lot more closer in? Basically 6/16 is the earliest I can leave and I need to be back by 7/10. Maybe what I could do is book the outbound on JAL with a few days layover in Tokyo and then on to SIN and then hope CX opens up on the return? Because JAL is 5k more expensive each way than CX I won't have the miles to book the return until mid-june when my Alaska airlines credit card bonus posts (spend is met already just waiting for statement cut), so I would not be able to book F both ways yet and I could not even book F with J coming back yet because I am just short. This would allow me to hit Tokyo and HKG in the same trip which would be cool. I actually have a membership for experflyer but it does not seem to cover CX or JAL.

Last edited by Red259; May 10, 2017 at 6:32 pm
Old May 10, 2017, 6:51 pm

Way too early to get concerned. There are lots of flights JFK-HKG late June and return first week of July that show F5 or F4. There are only six seats in first class and if things stay this way then it is highly likely that they will open one up for an award. Just keep watching.... consider an awardnexus "trip pass" to automate it with a daily search.

DAK
Old May 10, 2017, 6:54 pm

ExpertFlyer won't help with award availability. It will help gauge how loaded the flight is... per my earlier post lots of F5 and F4 which I found from ExpertFlyer which is a good sign but you need another tool (like awardnexus, QF/BA/JL) to find award space.

DAK
Old May 10, 2017, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by dkerr
ExpertFlyer won't help with award availability. It will help gauge how loaded the flight is... per my earlier post lots of F5 and F4 which I found from ExpertFlyer which is a good sign but you need another tool (like awardnexus, QF/BA/JL) to find award space.

DAK
When you say F4 & F5 do you mean that 4 or 5 seats are open in first class?
Old May 10, 2017, 7:03 pm

Will JL open up a lot more closer in? Basically 6/16 is the earliest I can leave and I need to be back by 7/10. Maybe what I could do is book the outbound on JAL with a few days layover in Tokyo and then on to SIN and then hope CX opens up on the return? Because JAL is 5k more expensive each way than CX I won't have the miles to book the return until mid-june when my Alaska airlines credit card bonus posts (spend is met already just waiting for statement cut), so I would not be able to book F both ways yet and I could not even book F with J coming back yet because I am just short. This would allow me to hit Tokyo and HKG in the same trip which would be cool. I actually have a membership for experflyer but it does not seem to cover CX or JAL.
I searched HKG-SGN and there is plenty of availability in J. Have patience, I am pretty confident that something will open up on the JFK-HKG segment that will work for you -- but maybe not until ~10 days before flight time.
Old May 10, 2017, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's nothing saying you can't book flights in Y and change to J/F closer in, or book CX into or out of a city that isn't NYC and do a positioning flight, if you don't want to risk it and are willing to pay $125 for changes later.

If you book the positioning flight using WN points (also a Chase UR partner) it's completely refundable back to WN points. BA Avios you just lose the $6 TSA fee.

Remember what jamienbaker said up thread about get stuff down now, optimize later? Take it to heart. Broaden your horizons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.