Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2017, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by drvannostren
So...I'm new to trying to use my alaska miles, I've kinda just built them up and let them sit.

I was going to book a CX award this past week, maybe it's not news to you guys, but holy crap was it hard to find availability. I was looking for OCT so not close in, but certainly not 330 days out.

Quite easily found J/Y availability on the Cathay 350 from HKG-YVR. So like a naive fool, when I decided I needed to reverse the direction I figured I'd find it. WRONG. How about Cathay's other 2 flights a day from YVR. Nope. How about LAX? Nope. SFO? Nope.

I found like 1 first (which I didn't want) seat going NA-HKG for like 2 weeks. No Y seats, let alone J. Availability coming back HKG-NA seemed pretty open though. Is this kinda the standard? Is the trick to just book way in advance? I looked at the award calendar for JL too and it showed literally no availability for weeks going NA-BKK via NRT. Sources were BA search for CX and JL search engine for JL.
CX is pretty consistent about releasing 1F and 5J seats on NA routes when the schedule opens. After that they won't usually release more seats until closer to departure.
Old May 1, 2017, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by staff
I'm looking at an award booking DXB-HKG-BKK, is this itinerary valid without breaking at HKG? If valid, can I do a stop-over in HKG on this itinerary?
That would be 2 awards regardless of stop-over. Middle east is to/from HKG or Middle East to/from North America There isn't a Middle east/Asia award using AS miles.
Old May 1, 2017, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by staff
I'm looking at an award booking DXB-HKG-BKK, is this itinerary valid without breaking at HKG? If valid, can I do a stop-over in HKG on this itinerary?
Itinerary breaks at HKG to two awards, just like it says in the wiki at the top of the thread. For shorthaul J out of HKG, BA Avios >>> AS MP- a lot less miles (15k Avios in J vs 25k MP miles). So book that HKG-BKK segment with Avios if you can.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 1, 2017 at 9:42 am
Old May 1, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA G CX S AS G DL PM
Odd Problem when booking DXB-HKG-ICN

Hello,
I just encountered a problem when trying to book an award DXB-HKG-ICN on CX J using AS miles. However, the ticketing agent told me the route cannot price. However, she also figured that DXB-HKG can be priced as 30,000 miles. Has anyone got an explanation? Odd. I do not think it violates AS rules. Helpp
Thanks!
Old May 1, 2017, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Read the wiki on booking CX award flights. This is an extremely common question from people who assume that, like most airlines that are in an alliance, (AS is not) AS has arbitrary zone-based awards where you can fly from any CX destination to any other CX destination on a single award. That's not how AS awards work; they have their advantages (lower mile amounts) but this isn't one of them.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ska-miles.html

The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS website can be misleading about this.
DXB-HKG-ICN is two awards: DXB-HKG (ME-HKG) and HKG-ICN (intra-Asia), breaking at HKG. AS does not do Asia-Middle East zone-based awards for CX. Anything other than a North America award or intra-Asia award must originate or end at HKG.

If you want to save miles on the second award, HKG-ICN is only 20k Avios using BA (25k AS MP). Or you can book the entire award with another OW program like AA (which does support zone-based awards for ME-Asia).

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 1, 2017 at 4:00 pm
Old May 1, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by Merlinrnr
CX is pretty consistent about releasing 1F and 5J seats on NA routes when the schedule opens. After that they won't usually release more seats until closer to departure.
Good to know. I guess they just get snapped up pretty quickly. Sked open is T-365? Or do you mean the 330 that AS allows the bookings to begin?
Old May 2, 2017, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by drvannostren
Good to know. I guess they just get snapped up pretty quickly. Sked open is T-365? Or do you mean the 330 that AS allows the bookings to begin?
I believe they release at 355 days out. You can book on BA much sooner than you can on AS.
Old May 2, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I haven't booked an award on CX for 2 years. I want to go to vietnam with a stopover in Hong Kong and was thinking about spending my points on a marriott package that would give me alaska airlines miles. How difficult is it to obtain NYC-SGN flights with a stopover in HKG in J on the way there and F on the way back? I would be looking to take the trip fairly soon (ie, depart third week of June and return early July). I have some flexibility on the dates. Does CX still hold award space until the last minute or have they changed? Is this a viable plan or is award space tough to come by?
Old May 2, 2017, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Red259
I haven't booked an award on CX for 2 years. I want to go to vietnam with a stopover in Hong Kong and was thinking about spending my points on a marriott package that would give me alaska airlines miles. How difficult is it to obtain NYC-SGN flights with a stopover in HKG in J on the way there and F on the way back? I would be looking to take the trip fairly soon (ie, depart third week of June and return early July). I have some flexibility on the dates. Does CX still hold award space until the last minute or have they changed? Is this a viable plan or is award space tough to come by?
You'll make it. But you missed the booking window for CX and JL. Lock down HKGSGN flights NOW, then add USAHKG when they're released inside of 14 days. Assuming a two week trip, you'll likely fly over without a return res. But I've done that several times. Always works out. But lock down the short haul segments to/from HKG/NRT ASAP.
Old May 2, 2017, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
You'll make it. But you missed the booking window for CX and JL. Lock down HKGSGN flights NOW, then add USAHKG when they're released inside of 14 days. Assuming a two week trip, you'll likely fly over without a return res. But I've done that several times. Always works out. But lock down the short haul segments to/from HKG/NRT ASAP.
What do you mean I missed the booking window for CX? Is there some sort of time restriction?
Old May 2, 2017, 8:34 pm

What do you mean I missed the booking window for CX? Is there some sort of time restriction?
Uh, yeah. Ample availability at T-355, much of which is gone my T-330 once AS and AA can book. CX awards soon after are shut down until about two weeks out. You'll find one or two sporadically available here and there, but if planning for more than one person you are SOL for at least another 3 weeks. JL tends to be better. Plenty of shorthaul awards to/from SGN so grab them NOW!
Old May 2, 2017, 8:36 pm

Uh, yeah. Ample availability at T-355, much of which is gone my T-330 once AS and AA can book. CX awards soon after are shut down until about two weeks out. You'll find one or two sporadically available here and there, but if planning for more than one person you are SOL for at least another 3 weeks. JL tends to be better. Plenty of shorthaul awards to/from SGN so grab them NOW!
I spent 100 awardnexus points on your behalf, found ONE J JFKHKG and three separate HKGJFK F awards during first three weeks of June. So I'm not making this up. Not willing to spend money for JL searches but I suspect you can do better on them.
Old May 2, 2017, 8:53 pm

I spent 100 awardnexus points on your behalf, found ONE J JFKHKG and three separate HKGJFK F awards during first three weeks of June. So I'm not making this up. Not willing to spend money for JL searches but I suspect you can do better on them.
What are JL searches? I've been looking for openings via my JAL account. Is that not reliable? I have an expertflyer membership but I guess they don't cover CX. I am travelling on my own so only need one seat which helps.

Last edited by Red259; May 2, 2017 at 9:05 pm
Old May 2, 2017, 9:11 pm

What are JL searches? I've been looking for openings via my JAL account. Is that not reliable? I have an expertflyer membership but I guess they don't cover CX.
Jamie is suggesting two alternate routes. JFK-HKG-SGN on CX or JFK-NRT-SGN on JL. Either way he is suggesting that the intra Asia flight will be harder to get close in. Out of curiosity, using awardnexus, he searched for CX options but did not bother with JL leaving that joy up to you.

I have no first hand experience of routing to SGN but have done SIN often. CX do release JFK/HKG seats close in so your chances of getting F or J on that segment are good.

As for Marriott transfers to AS miles they are not instant. Be sure to ask Marriott to expedite the transfer.... I did this about a month ago but with requesting the transfer on a Saturday it was Wednesday morning before they were in my AS account (which I promptly redeemed for a F ticket JFK-HKG-SIN for that Friday morning!).

Good luck.
DAK
Old May 2, 2017, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by dkerr
Jamie is suggesting two alternate routes. JFK-HKG-SGN on CX or JFK-NRT-SGN on JL. Either way he is suggesting that the intra Asia flight will be harder to get close in. Out of curiosity, using awardnexus, he searched for CX options but did not bother with JL leaving that joy up to you.

I have no first hand experience of routing to SGN but have done SIN often. CX do release JFK/HKG seats close in so your chances of getting F or J on that segment are good.

As for Marriott transfers to AS miles they are not instant. Be sure to ask Marriott to expedite the transfer.... I did this about a month ago but with requesting the transfer on a Saturday it was Wednesday morning before they were in my AS account (which I promptly redeemed for a F ticket JFK-HKG-SIN for that Friday morning!).

Good luck.
DAK
Hmm, I didn't know redemptions on JAL were possible as I only had been turned on to this via the idea of CX. Would I still be able to do a stopover in NRT if I go with JAL? Is it the same amount of miles for redemptions as with CX? When I search CX on the JAL website I get something that says $CX767
333 for the hkg-sgn flight on certain dates. I'm not sure if the $ sign in front of the flight number means I need to pay money for that intra asia segment? Given my goals is it a safe idea to just go ahead and purchase the package? It seems worth it for the flight alone even if I only redeem 3-4 of the seven nights on a stay. I could route to SIN or Bangkok if those are easier redemptions and then just purchase cheap flights to hop around once I am there. Sorry for all the questions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.