Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
with AS you cannot change the next leg of an award booking if you've departed on the first leg
YMMV
Old May 30, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by flytoeat
YMMV
yeah you're very right about this, I've actually had an agent change a second leg of an award once after I had already taken the first. But definitely ymmv. Don't count on it
Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:36 pm

HKG- Europe award availability seems to have dried up (I usually check on BA but Alaska shouldn't have more availability than BA). It used to be very good, at least far out and to destinations like AMS, FRA, DUS, LGW or MAD (LHR or CDG obviously harder).

What gives? Is this an IT-problem or has CX decided to make much less awards available to partners? It seems counter-intuitive as they should be happy for any seat to be filled with their current struggles? Many routes don't even have PE or Economy awards?? The change is so massive and drastic that I suspect/ hope it's an IT problem but you never know. Does anyone have similar experiences/ additional insights?

Last edited by GwailoSIN; Jun 2, 2017 at 10:27 pm
Old Jun 3, 2017, 12:26 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I'm trying to rebook a late Sep trip to Europe and encountering difficulties also
Old Jun 3, 2017, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by GwailoSIN
HKG- Europe award availability seems to have dried up (I usually check on BA but Alaska shouldn't have more availability than BA). It used to be very good, at least far out and to destinations like AMS, FRA, DUS, LGW or MAD (LHR or CDG obviously harder).

What gives? Is this an IT-problem or has CX decided to make much less awards available to partners? It seems counter-intuitive as they should be happy for any seat to be filled with their current struggles? Many routes don't even have PE or Economy awards?? The change is so massive and drastic that I suspect/ hope it's an IT problem but you never know. Does anyone have similar experiences/ additional insights?
Must be your specific dates.

Just booked last week and flew HKG - USA in F. All the dates I had looked at on CX and QF websites correlated with what AS had.

Also had a few Europe HKG options, but did not book. Granted these are close in.

Agent took less than 5 min to book and issue ticket.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
So I am at the beginning stages of planning a CX J redemption that I'll make next month, but struggling with the positioning flight. I'll be going ex-IAH, and the only AS route I have is IAH-SEA, and then will have to add on SEA-SFO/LAX/YVR to get to a CX gateway city. If I was feeling really masochistic I suppose I could do SEA-JFK and pick up the CX flight from there, but I'm not sure if that would be kosher with AS routing rules.

Guess my question is: how lenient is AS on booking the add on AS positioning flight in F if there is no saver availability? I'm looking out to next year and F saver space is very scarce on the IAH-SEA route, as in it might as well be non-existent. I ask because if I can't get the AS positioning flight in F, I'm tempted to just start the award in NYC to maximize my CX time and do JFK-(YVR)-HKG-SYD and get myself to NYC.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
So I am at the beginning stages of planning a CX J redemption that I'll make next month, but struggling with the positioning flight. I'll be going ex-IAH, and the only AS route I have is IAH-SEA, and then will have to add on SEA-SFO/LAX/YVR to get to a CX gateway city. If I was feeling really masochistic I suppose I could do SEA-JFK and pick up the CX flight from there, but I'm not sure if that would be kosher with AS routing rules.

Guess my question is: how lenient is AS on booking the add on AS positioning flight in F if there is no saver availability? I'm looking out to next year and F saver space is very scarce on the IAH-SEA route, as in it might as well be non-existent. I ask because if I can't get the AS positioning flight in F, I'm tempted to just start the award in NYC to maximize my CX time and do JFK-(YVR)-HKG-SYD and get myself to NYC.
Deleted

Last edited by pentiumvi; Jun 5, 2017 at 2:52 am Reason: Incorrect info
Old Jun 4, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
If you're booking CX in J, I think you should be looking for economy saver (W) on your AS positioning flights.
This is not accurate advice. The OP can book either saver first or saver economy space with a J award.

OP, what do you mean by how "lenient"? If there is no award space, they won't book it, period. I would highly suggest purchasing a separate positioning ticket - way better and more reasonable than flying IAH-SEA-JFK or even IAH-SEA-LAX.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by callmedtop
This is not accurate advice. The OP can book either saver first or saver economy space with a J award.
I figured as much...

OP, what do you mean by how "lenient"? If there is no award space, they won't book it, period. I would highly suggest purchasing a separate positioning ticket - way better and more reasonable than flying IAH-SEA-JFK or even IAH-SEA-LAX.
What I mean is there is award space, but not at the saver level, given AS's apparent desire to not release saver F space on IAH-SEA. At the end of the day, it's clearly not a deal breaker, it's just a slight wrench and added expense. If AS would allow >1 partner per award this would not really be an issue.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
What I mean is there is award space, but not at the saver level, given AS's apparent desire to not release saver F space on IAH-SEA. At the end of the day, it's clearly not a deal breaker, it's just a slight wrench and added expense. If AS would allow >1 partner per award this would not really be an issue.
Yeah, not gonna happen (them letting you use non-saver award space). What are the trends closer in to the date? Does IAH-SEA come available closer to travel?

Either way, I would fly to the closest gateway city on your dime via a non-stop flight and go from there. Two connections is just exhausting.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
yeah you're very right about this, I've actually had an agent change a second leg of an award once after I had already taken the first. But definitely ymmv. Don't count on it
It can be changed for a $125 fees always, no ymmv needed there I think.

The ymmv is mostly for whether you'll get a $125 fee assessed on not, depending on if the change you're requesting is due to a schedule-change/aircraft-swap etc or just a voluntary change.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I figured as much...

They're not going to open last seat F for you. A (saver F) or bust.

I think "maximizing" CX J is questionable. The CX board is full of complaints about the food. We're not talking CX F (which I also think it is questionable to "maximize" but it is somewhat more understandable). J is meant to be reasonably comfortable but not lavish or luxurious. I wouldn't care for 20 hours flying in any J cabin (barely so in F). YMMV, but I would do IAH-YVR-HKG...
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Interesting. I've been led to believe otherwise by AS phone rep.

My bad.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Plasticus
Must be your specific dates.
Just booked last week and flew HKG - USA in F. All the dates I had looked at on CX and QF websites correlated with what AS had.
Also had a few Europe HKG options, but did not book. Granted these are close in.
It's not my specific dates, I tried many different dates as I was just curious (guess I am a bit weird that I sometimes search for fun for future reference without immediate booking needs

Close in availability is not relevant for me as I don't have the luxury of booking last minute long haul flights. My wife has to schedule her leave in advance even though I am a bit more flexible.

CX used to have a lot of availability 4-8 months out and that seems to have (mostly) disappeared.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Interesting. I've been led to believe otherwise by AS phone rep.

My bad.
The agent was definitely wrong. If you are on a F/J partner award you are eligible to be in F on the domestic legs, same as other programs as well If no saver F space then you get mixed cabin. Mixed cabin must also be in saver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.