Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

EWR/BOS/YYZ are tough to get award seats. Not impossible, but tough.

ORD is the easiest of the 1 fight/day departure cities.

If you are going from JFK, remember that CX 888/889 has the stop in YVR.

YVR has 2x/day, both flights tough to get, more often last-minute availability on the afternoon flight to HKG.

SFO easier than YVR, but tougher than LAX as noted in the earlier post.

Easiest LAX flight is usually the morning flight, but you have to leave the east coast the night before and stay in a LAX hotel to catch it.
CX has a third flight on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. CX 859 the 9:10 am flight is on the A350-900 and arrived in HKG at 3:05 pm. I booked CX 859 in J today for January 20th with a stopover before onward travel to DPS (Bali). YVR-HKG//HKG-DPS in J 50,00 miles $87.50 in fees, taxes and partner booking fee.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:44 pm

Hi -

Yes, CX has a morning flight from SFO 3x/week. You will still have to catch a flight from the east coast the night before and overnight in a SFO airport hotel.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Hi -

Yes, CX has a morning flight from SFO 3x/week. You will still have to catch a flight from the east coast the night before and overnight in a SFO airport hotel.
My apologies, I should have included from YVR in the body of my text. There are three flights from Vancouver to Hong Kong on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. The routing I booked referenced YVR but admittedly that could be missed. It is possible to do a very early non-stop from YYZ to YVR to connect to CX 859 departing at 9:10 am not requiring a repositioning the night before. It is also possible to connect to the other two flight options on those days.

James
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:35 am

Secured an F and J seat on CX 841 (9am) on Sunday Nov 12 for wife and I for our honeymoon. Was hoping to upgrade the J to F as it got closer to the date, but it looks like F might be fully booked. Any way to confirm this or to see if any of them are award bookings? Not sure how well it would go over to be in different classes on our honeymoon flight...
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Earliest you can book is T-331 days so you won't be able to book awards until June or July 2018 for travel in May or June 2019. Usually there is award space available when the award booking window opens and then tight until ~T-14 days for CX premium class. You will be flying into Southern Hemisphere late fall, winter so competition may be less for awards for your chosen dates while awards for the return to Northern Hemisphere summer, early fall may be more challenging. Don't forget you can do a stopover in HKG and also consider BOS. You best bet is to secure NA-HKG when the booking window opens and then add onward travel and returns as those booking windows open.

You can use Qantas' website to view availability a month at time and give Alaska the specific flights and times when you call in. CX cannot be booked online.

James
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
JFK has three daily flights. The others you mention have one. QED they will have the most award seats. You probably should also consider positioning to LAX or SFO as opposed to just East Coast cities as they also have multiple daily flights instead of one.

My understanding from the CX board is YYZ is one of the toughest gets in the system for premium cabin award availability, so be prepared to spend some cash for positioning flights.
Hi -

EWR/BOS/YYZ are tough to get award seats. Not impossible, but tough.

ORD is the easiest of the 1 fight/day departure cities.

If you are going from JFK, remember that CX 888/889 has the stop in YVR.

YVR has 2x/day, both flights tough to get, more often last-minute availability on the afternoon flight to HKG.

SFO easier than YVR, but tougher than LAX as noted in the earlier post.

Easiest LAX flight is usually the morning flight, but you have to leave the east coast the night before and stay in a LAX hotel to catch it.
Thank you for all the replies. I will definitely look at all West coast cities as well for availability.

I have been researching for reward flights from HKG to AKL and it looks to me that it is very hard to get premium seats for this flight since there is only 1 flight per day. I'm guessing my best chance would be a flight to SYD instead of AKL.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: AS 75K; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Anlun
Secured an F and J seat on CX 841 (9am) on Sunday Nov 12 for wife and I for our honeymoon. Was hoping to upgrade the J to F as it got closer to the date, but it looks like F might be fully booked. Any way to confirm this or to see if any of them are award bookings? Not sure how well it would go over to be in different classes on our honeymoon flight...
According to ExpertFlyer that flight is sold out in F. Other available flights with F that day are 845 (12:55 AM) and 889 (8:40 PM and makes a stop in Vancouver) and each has 3 F open right now. Nov. 11 and 13 are worse, with no flight having more than 1 F open.
plc44 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gives the drinker in the family the F seat. You would not be joining the Mile High Club on CX flights anyway as it has no double bed suite a la SQ!

My husband does not drink, does not eat Caviar and all his requirement is a flat bed. So whenever we flew in F and J, he would be in J. But he then gets ALL the brownie points from the FAs! Everyone thinks he is oh so nice to let me fly F.... And he plays along those lines. The ISMs insisted to give him the F PJ and deserts. I was allowed to check on him sporadically, primarily meal time and bed time. Key is to have the Row 2 in F and the Row 11 in J.

Enjoy your honeymoon.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gtamaster
Thank you for all the replies. I will definitely look at all West coast cities as well for availability.

I have been researching for reward flights from HKG to AKL and it looks to me that it is very hard to get premium seats for this flight since there is only 1 flight per day. I'm guessing my best chance would be a flight to SYD instead of AKL.
Hate to mention that, but HKG to Australia is equally hard to find despite CX flies to SIX airports in Australia! HKG-Australia or New Zealand is very popular redemption among CX FFP members who have a much earlier date to book than AS or AA. Plus they can waitlist the seats and not you.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Been monitoring inventory from HKG to the USA (any airport but prefer LAX). About how far in advance does CX release/dump F inventory to award space? Looks like they will release all but 2 seats when I look in conjunction with exper flyer?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by kar don
Been monitoring inventory from HKG to the USA (any airport but prefer LAX). About how far in advance does CX release/dump F inventory to award space? Looks like they will release all but 2 seats when I look in conjunction with exper flyer?
There's no hard and fast rule; it might be hours before.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Gives the drinker in the family the F seat. You would not be joining the Mile High Club on CX flights anyway as it has no double bed suite a la SQ!

My husband does not drink, does not eat Caviar and all his requirement is a flat bed. So whenever we flew in F and J, he would be in J. But he then gets ALL the brownie points from the FAs! Everyone thinks he is oh so nice to let me fly F.... And he plays along those lines. The ISMs insisted to give him the F PJ and deserts. I was allowed to check on him sporadically, primarily meal time and bed time. Key is to have the Row 2 in F and the Row 11 in J.

Enjoy your honeymoon.
Thanks, I'm sure I know the answer but is it at all possible to switch off halfway through the flight? As in she takes F first half and I take it second half?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Thanks, I'm sure I know the answer but is it at all possible to switch off halfway through the flight? As in she takes F first half and I take it second half?
That's... not how it works if you have 1J 1F. You don't have half the time in an F seat/half of the time in a J seat to share as you please. You have a choice on which cabin you want each of you to be in for your flight.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NO. You can NOT switch halfway.

In fact, even visiting is normally NOT allowed. But if you are really nice in asking and it is a US to HKG flight, there is no rule to prevent such so it is up to the ISM discretion.

HKG to US flight actually is against the US security regulation FYI.

As eponymous_coward said, you decide which one of you to sit in F BEFORE you board the aircraft - that is the only time you can switch seat then you are booked into.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 5:45 pm

If this is allowed, imagine how chaotic the cabins will be when passengers begin to switch from Y->C, Y->F on a whim... And the passengers in C/F who dont do this will be majorly pissed off by all the commotion, esp revenue passengers

And that a traveling pair will only buy or redeem 1Y and 1C/F each time, so that each passenger gets lie-flat 50% of the long haul flight and both arrive rested.

I was already stopped mid-way in my tracks by a Y cabin FA (on the way back to C) when I went over to Y to pass something to my travel companions. This was while the plane had not yet even taken off (not on CX)
Old Oct 24, 2017, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
If this is allowed, imagine how chaotic the cabins will be when passengers begin to switch from Y->C, Y->F on a whim... And the passengers in C/F who dont do this will be majorly pissed off by all the commotion, esp revenue passengers

And that a traveling pair will only buy or redeem 1Y and 1C/F each time, so that each passenger gets lie-flat 50% of the long haul flight and both arrive rested.

I was already stopped mid-way in my tracks by a Y cabin FA (on the way back to C) when I went over to Y to pass something to my travel companions. This was while the plane had not yet even taken off (not on CX)
CX is gracious about moving down-cabin departing the US. I routinely walk laps of the cabin. The PJs basically afford free reign. But heading TO the US, I’ve been admonished (politely) for being in row 2 and sticking my head through the curtain to check on the kids in row 11 - a distance of about 4 feet between us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.