Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Truth777
Nice thanks. Bummer there is no F.
To be clear, there is F on the ORD-HKG segment.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:26 pm

When should i start looking for that second F seat? Is there a strategy (time of day to call, call daily?, asking at counter when you check in?). Any point on checking months in advance?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dave.brown
When should i start looking for that second F seat? Is there a strategy (time of day to call, call daily?, asking at counter when you check in?). Any point on checking months in advance?
If you read this thread, even the recent pages you would know that CX does not release additional Fs until fairly close in departure time, depending on how full the F cabin, how full the J / Premium Econ / Econ cabins on your flight. There fore there is NO POINT to check months in advance, until 7 days out or even closer.

Asking at counter is of no help because CX would need a reissued ticket from AS to reflect the change. Remember, you are flying CX on an AS issued ticket. CX is getting paid by AS. How CX would get paid, is to fly you on the flight EXACTLY as it is ticketed.

In theory one could get an award ticket reissued to reflect the last minute change, up to 2 hours of departure but I would NOT count on that happening with AS. With AA issued award, yes, it can be done. AA in generally is very familiar with reticketing CX award seats. With AS issued award? Good luck even if your change is 7 days before departure. There are DPs people lost their original bookings while trying to be cute to optimize their routing or cabin because AS agents messed up. We only read the bitterly complains but never read about any resolution. So you get the picture.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Thanks...I didn't know that! Just assumed that long-haul CX was three-cabin across the board.

I'm coming from MCI, so I was only looking SFO to get a nonstop AS flight as part of the same award. But if it was likelier to get 2 F out of LAX, I'd happily throw in the positioning flight on Southwest or whatever to get to it.
You need to look for 4 cabin flights since premium economy is a cabin by itself across all long haul flights. Most flights have 3, some have 4
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CDKing
$125 fee for MVP.

Its only waived if you paid the F price but one of the legs was only available in lower cabin (mixed cabin). If you paid the J price, you have to pay $125 to change to F award.

I'll give you an example. I'm on a QF award. J from JFK-LAX and Y+ LAX-BNE. Since I already paid the J award price, once J opens up on LAX-BNE, no change fee (pretending i'm not gold).
Got it.

I might just snag 2 J and enjoy J since that seems to be fairly easy to find.

No chance I'll hit MVP Gold. I'm going to end this year right on 25-26k EQM on AS..
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:27 pm

Hi -

Just 3 JFK-PDX trips to make Gold then ...
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: Delta, Alaska Air, & BA
I just changed my 11/17 F to 11/13! Great agent at AS.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Pulley
I just changed my 11/17 F to 11/13! Great agent at AS.
I think I booked your 11/17 F when it went back into the pool
Old Nov 10, 2017, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
To be clear, there is F on the ORD-HKG segment.
Yes sir. I've actually got F on ORD-HKG coming up in Jan. Will be my first flight with CX.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes sir. I've actually got F on ORD-HKG coming up in Jan. Will be my first flight with CX.
Congrats, and hope you have a great and noteworthy time.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Great cabin and crew, but lousy food.
Happy likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy
If you read this thread, even the recent pages you would know that CX does not release additional Fs until fairly close in departure time, depending on how full the F cabin, how full the J / Premium Econ / Econ cabins on your flight. There fore there is NO POINT to check months in advance, until 7 days out or even closer.

Asking at counter is of no help because CX would need a reissued ticket from AS to reflect the change. Remember, you are flying CX on an AS issued ticket. CX is getting paid by AS. How CX would get paid, is to fly you on the flight EXACTLY as it is ticketed.

In theory one could get an award ticket reissued to reflect the last minute change, up to 2 hours of departure but I would NOT count on that happening with AS. With AA issued award, yes, it can be done. AA in generally is very familiar with reticketing CX award seats. With AS issued award? Good luck even if your change is 7 days before departure. There are DPs people lost their original bookings while trying to be cute to optimize their routing or cabin because AS agents messed up. We only read the bitterly complains but never read about any resolution. So you get the picture.
I'm planing to fly from US(LAX/JFK)-HKG(stopover)-HND/NRT late Oct 2018, most likely one F one J and reticket to two F later. To ensure I can get the flight I wanted, I'm thinking about ticketing one segment at a time exactly 330days prior, given that all travel would be done within 365days from ticket issue date.

It seems like ticketing US-HKG first, then add a HKG-Tokyo segment a few days later would be straight forward (no repricing needed). What are the odds for AS agent mess it up on my return flight if I ticket Tokyo-HKG first (at intra-asia pricing, or could I ask them to price me at Asia-US pricing even I only have intraasia segment at the time?), then add HKG-US later?

Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fly747first
Great cabin and crew, but lousy food.
Is that a CX thing or an issue with catering out of ORD? I assume the wine/liquor selection would still be top-notch, right?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The ITDA
I'm planing to fly from US(LAX/JFK)-HKG(stopover)-HND/NRT late Oct 2018, most likely one F one J and reticket to two F later. To ensure I can get the flight I wanted, I'm thinking about ticketing one segment at a time exactly 330days prior, given that all travel would be done within 365days from ticket issue date.

It seems like ticketing US-HKG first, then add a HKG-Tokyo segment a few days later would be straight forward (no repricing needed). What are the odds for AS agent mess it up on my return flight if I ticket Tokyo-HKG first (at intra-asia pricing, or could I ask them to price me at Asia-US pricing even I only have intraasia segment at the time?), then add HKG-US later?

I've added and changed CX routings over the years. No issue. Up to you how paranoid you want to be about this. Nobody is going to be able to tell you what odds there are since it would require knowing how many CX bookings AS makes and how many get messed up. Nobody here knows this (only AS employees MIGHT if they could compile the statistics, but they won't be doing that for obvious reasons), so it's not "6.7% chance" or anything like that.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:23 pm

Hi -

Just one data point. I was once flying AS PDX-YVR connecting to CX YVR-HKG-KUL. Booked in PE.

As I boarded the 1st flight to YVR, CX opened up J seats for redemption. I got on my cell phone, told the AS rep I wanted to upgrade my CX flights to J. Then I had to hang up as the plane was taking off.

Long story short, I had a J board pass printed for me in the CX lounge in YVR.

Can't get much closer than that ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.