Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:11 pm

Hi -

If you want to travel midweek out of JFK or LAX, they usually open up some seats at the initial window. But loads out of BOS have been really good.

If you can wait until < 14 days out, in the past they opened up flights that are not oversold. But that basically means flying standby and waiting them out.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

If you want to travel midweek out of JFK or LAX, they usually open up some seats at the initial window. But loads out of BOS have been really good.

If you can wait until < 14 days out, in the past they opened up flights that are not oversold. But that basically means flying standby and waiting them out.
Thanks. I don’t think I’ll be too willing to gamble on this one. Anyone taken the JFK-HKG route with the stop in Vancouver?

i might be able to get seats on that route for certainty, and then try to switch to direct or out of BOS later if needed.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by slappychasez
Thanks. I don’t think I’ll be too willing to gamble on this one. Anyone taken the JFK-HKG route with the stop in Vancouver?

i might be able to get seats on that route for certainty, and then try to switch to direct or out of BOS later if needed.
Flagship Lounge at JFK is strong. As for JFKYYZHKG, I kind of like it. I hit the sack for the short-haul, then am reasonably refreshed to take advantage of the longer haul. F/J get to stay on the plane during the stop.

All that said, I'm taking the JFKHKG 0145 departure soon. I intend to ask crew to wake me up after six hours.

Good luck - Jamie
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Ladies and gentleman !!!

open season on J award seats for the December 25-30.. just snagged 5 award sears BOS to HKG. Not sure about F but check with BA. JFK has multiple award seats too but BOS HKG is crazy.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
What's the phone booking fee again for CX awards? I'm only booking between HKG and BKK !
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
What's the phone booking fee again for CX awards? I'm only booking between HKG and BKK !
It's waived for CX since they can't be booked online.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I was charged the booking fee for a recent CX redeption. I wasn't going to scoff at a $12.50 fee for one-way CX J JNB-HKG//HKG-BOS for 62.5K and YVR-HKG//HKG-DPS for 50K. They might have waived it if I asked but I didn't persue it.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I was charged the booking fee for a recent CX redeption. I wasn't going to scoff at a $12.50 fee for one-way CX J JNB-HKG//HKG-BOS for 62.5K and YVR-HKG//HKG-DPS for 50K. They might have waived it if I asked but I didn't persue it.
That's different from the phone fee. Partner booking fee not waived for anyone, including 75Ks.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Nope. That's the partner fee. Partner fee is NEVER waived. Phone fee is separate.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Short distances seem like a poor use of AS miles. For CX J, AS would charge 22.5k + partner fee. It'd only be 15k BA Avios.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Kremmen
Short distances seem like a poor use of AS miles. For CX J, AS would charge 22.5k + partner fee. It'd only be 15k BA Avios.
Unless one doesn't have Avios and would otherwise pay cash for biz; then it may be a good use of AS miles. Also, sometimes you can get a good deal on Emirates between HKG-BKK.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Kremmen
But did you know that BA blocks CX bookings up to 5 days prior to departure. Its a last minute booking and the day that i want to travel is blocked off. That's why I can't use AVIOS. I'll just redeem a coach ticket on AS. Its still cheaper than via AA.

So it's just $12.50 plus tax?

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Nov 22, 2017 at 10:25 pm
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:03 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
But did you know that BA blocks CX bookings up to 5 days prior to departure. Its a last minute booking and the day that i want to travel is blocked off. That's why I can't use AVIOS. I'll just redeem a coach ticket on AS. Its still cheaper than via AA.

So it's just $12.50 plus tax?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post29088865
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flytoeat
That's different from the phone fee. Partner booking fee not waived for anyone, including 75Ks.
Thank you for pointing out my error, confused the two. I am 75K and never think about booking fees. I like to do as much as I can online but always get great service for the times I do call. The PHX & BOI agents are awesome. Happy to admit when the cerebral matter "misconnects" lol
Old Nov 22, 2017, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
When was this more reasonable policy in effect?

It certainly was not waived on our last AS redemption.

This was the charge details on our JNB-HKG//HKG-LAX-SEA-SLC ticket
Base Fare and Surcharges: $6.00
Taxes and Other Fees: $133.96
Ticketing Fee: $15.00
Partner Award Booking Fee: $12.50
Traveler total:
Total fare: USD $167.46

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.