Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2017, 4:30 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Edgerfly

This is an age old question. It happens all the time of it showing on all the search engines, but AS agents can’t see it. Im fairly certain AS is given different inventory than that of OW and their own Marco Polo members to choose from. The only times (in my experience) where an AS agent sees exactly what’s presented on the other search engines is when it’s about 6 to 8 or more months out planning.
In July 2017, I saw 4J seats each on CX889 departing 22 and 23 Mar 2018 at ba.com; however, the AS agent couldn’t see space on both days for CX889 but could see J space on CX855 and CX837. I went ahead and booked CX855 in J. In Sep 2017, CX855 got cancelled and replaced with CX859. I rang AS, told them CX859's timing doesn't work for me. Magically, AS is now able to see J space on CX889 on both 22 and 23 Mar 2018! so I successfully changed CX859 to CX889.

Is AS intentionally withholding certain blocks of CX space and releasing them only when there is a change in schedule or CX flight cancellation?
Old Dec 25, 2017, 4:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Originally Posted by hightide
Is AS intentionally withholding certain blocks of CX space and releasing them only when there is a change in schedule or CX flight cancellation?
No way. The problem is that AS sells all these miles with incredible deals and everyone and their grandmother loads up on AS miles, especially mileage brokers. I’m sure they hoard the miles with the intention of booking JL and CX tickets. So those airlines have to protect their dedicated customers, as well as their alliance partners customers. I think AS is fed availability out of a different tube in certain scenarios so this doesn’t become a problem for CX and OW members. As a result the availabilities will not always totally match up.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: IHG Platinum

I think AS is fed availability out of a different tube in certain scenarios so this doesn’t become a problem for CX and OW members. As a result the availabilities will not always totally match up.
That's what I used to belive. Not being in OW, AS gets last priority. However, it does seem odd that 8 months in advance AS couldn't see a single J seat out of 4J CX889 seats. Six months in advance, when there were only 2J CX889 seats left - AS could actually see them.

BTW: Considering JFK-YVR is an international itinerary, is a stopover possible? Say JFK-YVR (stopover)-SEA-ANC or JFK-YVR-SEA (stopover)-ANC or JFK-YVR (stopover)-SEA-YYC?
Old Dec 25, 2017, 7:02 am
Suspended

That's what I used to belive. Not being in OW, AS gets last priority. However, it does seem odd that 8 months in advance AS couldn't see a single J seat out of 4J CX889 seats. Six months in advance, when there were only 2J CX889 seats left - AS could actually see them.
Exactly. Random. Which would make sense why it has its own separate bucket. Some times it aligns, while other times it does it’s own thing.

BTW: Considering JFK-YVR is an international itinerary, is a stopover possible? Say JFK-YVR (stopover)-SEA-ANC or JFK-YVR-SEA (stopover)-ANC or JFK-YVR (stopover)-SEA-YYC?
If I’m correct, I think all those routings you gave as examples are okay and would be acceptable. Here is a link with some more specific information: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rew...-see-more/amp/
Old Dec 25, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Can’t add US destinations to a CX JFK-YVR award because that violates US cabotage laws (which would be hefty fines for AS and CX). You can’t use a non-USA carrier as part of the travel between two USA cities. Your award will break at YVR.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Dec 25, 2017 at 9:52 am
Old Dec 25, 2017, 9:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
The

Can’t add US destinations to a CX JFK-YVR award because that violates US cabotage laws (which would be hefty fines for AS and CX). You can’t use a non-USA carrier as part of the travel between two USA cities. Your award will break at YVR.

What if you overnight?
Old Dec 25, 2017, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What if you overnight?
Can’t be issued on a single ticket or award because AS and CX don’t want cabotage fines.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 9:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Can’t be issued on a single ticket or award because AS and CX don’t want cabotage fines.
You may be right on technicalities. But in practice it’s not enforced. I’m pretty sure I’ve booked, and I know other people that have booked, JFK-YVR(overnight)-SEA
Old Dec 25, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You may be right on technicalities. But in practice it’s not enforced. I’m pretty sure I’ve booked, and I know other people that have booked, JFK-YVR(overnight)-SEA
If you look at contiguous US to contiguous US on the AS award chart, CX is NOT an option. This is why.

If the tickets are being issued... well, just be aware that it's a multi-thousand dollar fine for carriers who violate cabotage law. And FT awareness of itineraries that violate cabotage HAS caused the DOT to fine carriers (which then "fix" the problem).

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Dec 25, 2017 at 11:57 am
Old Dec 25, 2017, 11:02 am

Please double-check your contention. This is one area where it is not "YMMV". I redeem that route frequently. They never have budged on any connection, unless additional miles were charged.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 8:59 pm

I'm in DC, and CX has recently announced a new IAD-HKG flight. I have never played in the AS sandbox before, but am strongly considering getting started with BofA AS cards to start building miles for a trip to Asia. Is the general consensus that CX and JA will continue to be available using AS miles? The numbers seem pretty incredible! I travel with my family of 4, so there and back in F is a stretch, but in J or even premium economy is nice enough for us. Roundtrip DC to Hong Kong in PE for 70k each (while still a hefty 280k total) is pretty awesome. Can 4 together in J or PE generally be found 11 months out? I figure if I can do a personal and business card every 3ish months, I should have the miles for a nice roundtrip in only a little over 15 months. If I start now, I should be there by May of 2019, and should be able to book a spring break trip, or summer vacation, for 2020. Sound reasonable?
Old Dec 25, 2017, 9:14 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by rbw5t
I'm in DC, and CX has recently announced a new IAD-HKG flight. I have never played in the AS sandbox before, but am strongly considering getting started with BofA AS cards to start building miles for a trip to Asia. Is the general consensus that CX and JA will continue to be available using AS miles? The numbers seem pretty incredible! I travel with my family of 4, so there and back in F is a stretch, but in J or even premium economy is nice enough for us. Roundtrip DC to Hong Kong in PE for 70k each (while still a hefty 280k total) is pretty awesome. Can 4 together in J or PE generally be found 11 months out? I figure if I can do a personal and business card every 3ish months, I should have the miles for a nice roundtrip in only a little over 15 months. If I start now, I should be there by May of 2019, and should be able to book a spring break trip, or summer vacation, for 2020. Sound reasonable?
I appreciate your enthusiasm, but... not gonna happen. If you check out the card's thread over on that section of FT, you'll find in the wiki that BofA's new anti-churning policy will ensure there's no way you're amassing signup bonuses that quickly.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 9:14 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by rbw5t
well at the rate AS has been losing partners lately nothing is guaranteed. But what is guaranteed is that those rates will not be around for the next 2 to 3 years :-)
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:05 am
Suspended

Is this true? An AS agent just told me that you cannot route from Colombo-HKG-LAX-SEA because they are not allowed to redeem cathay to Colombo.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:34 am

Hi -

I do not know for certain, but it could very well be. When you look at the award charts, it lists "India", not "Indian Sub-Continent". Strictly speaking, that would kick out Colombo as a destination.

I would recommend calling Mileage Plan directly and not the res agents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.