Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:04 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
CX doesn't fly YVR to BOS. Are you confusing BOS with JFK?

You would need to go:

CGK-HKG-YVR CX
YVR-SEA/PDX-BOS AS

You may, in fact, be able to get a stopover in the CX gateway if all that are involved after your stopover are AS flights. I've been successful getting stopovers when only AS segments are involved in the stopover while on CX awards (in fact, I've had nine month stopovers in SEA).

What you won't be able to do is fly CGK-HKG-YVR(stop)-JFK all on CX (or connect at JFK to AA/DL going to BOS, AS only allows one partner per redemption and themselves, and AS doesn't fly JFK-BOS). The only place they will let you take a stopover on CX metal is HKG.
CGK-HKG-YVR(stop)-JFK should be possible. I have the other way around ticketed JFK-YVR (stop)-HKG-CGK.
Some people have mentioned that looking for space ex-YVR is hard. At least for March 2018, I have been able to find ample space ex-YVR on all 3 flights six months in advance, albeit J space being harder to find on Sat and Sun.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by hightide
CGK-HKG-YVR(stop)-JFK should be possible. I have the other way around ticketed JFK-YVR (stop)-HKG-CGK.
Some people have mentioned that looking for space ex-YVR is hard. At least for March 2018, I have been able to find ample space ex-YVR on all 3 flights six months in advance, albeit J space being harder to find on Sat and Sun.
Sometimes you get lucky with manually issued awards but CX stopovers are only allowed in HKG or at connection point with AS metal
Old Dec 10, 2017, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seawolf
Does booking CX award involve both a partner fee of $12.50 and a ticketing fee of $15? Thanks.
Yes.
The rule is whether the partner can be booked online or not, phone ticket fee is charged. You can keep calling and try your luck but if the agent is doing his / her job, the fee should not be waived. The ONLY situation is when a partner is bookable online but somehow you keep getting an error yet an agent could book it - then there is some merit to ask for waiver of the $15.

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Partner booking fee of $12.50 is charged for each direction, any ticketing fees should be waived as you cannot book CX online.

James
This is not AS rule. AA does not charge phone ticketing fee on partners cannot be booked online, starting about 2 years ago. AS continues to charge the phone booking fee whether the partner can be booked online or not. If you dont get charged, you are lucky because the agent did not do his/her job. If you are charged, that is the rule.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
Yes.
The rule is whether the partner can be booked online or not, phone ticket fee is charged. You can keep calling and try your luck but if the agent is doing his / her job, the fee should not be waived. The ONLY situation is when a partner is bookable online but somehow you keep getting an error yet an agent could book it - then there is some merit to ask for waiver of the $15.

This is not AS rule. AA does not charge phone ticketing fee on partners cannot be booked online, starting about 2 years ago. AS continues to charge the phone booking fee whether the partner can be booked online or not. If you dont get charged, you are lucky because the agent did not do his/her job. If you are charged, that is the rule.
I have done two recent CX redemptions and I wasn't charged a booking fee on either of them. I never asked for a wavier and there was no mention of there being a fee that was waived. The first redemption was done through the Phoenix centre and the second through the Boise centre. I called with specific flights and in both instances I was booked within 5 minutes.

James
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I have done two recent CX redemptions and I wasn't charged a booking fee on either of them. I never asked for a wavier and there was no mention of there being a fee that was waived. The first redemption was done through the Phoenix centre and the second through the Boise centre. I called with specific flights and in both instances I was booked within 5 minutes.

James
Are you still AS Gold? Telephone booking fee is not charged for Gold & 75K
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:49 pm

Just a data point. I was hoping to score two USA-HKG-SE Asia awards with a stopover over the Christmas season coming up in a few weeks. I had been scouring availability on both British Airways and Qantas tools. A few times BA showed availability and Qantas did not, when I called in Alaska could not see it either. However every time I was able to see Qantas availability Alaska Mileage Plan was also showing the same as Qantas.

Ended up with the perfect flights myself and wish everyone finding CX availability luck as well!
travelbug2225 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
We had F coming in, connecting to a HKG-DPS flight the next morning at 10am because that was the only way to connect. We presented our BPs from the day before as well as the BPs to DPS, telling the receptionists they were on the same reservation same ticket. We were graciously let in the Wings. Not saying it is the rule, but does not hurt to try.
Similar outcome for us. However we made our case on the following day. The supervisor said that since it was an F redemption (ie we had paid to have it on both segments), we could have access to the first class lounges. Definitely worth asking.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
Are you still AS Gold? Telephone booking fee is not charged for Gold & 75K
That is the real reason why the telephone ticketing fee is not charged, NOT because CX cannot be booked online. lol.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

James
Because ticketing fee is not charged for Gold and above, Everyone else pays the phone ticketing fee even the partner cannot be booked online. When a non elite is not being charged the ticketing fee, considers that a lucky break, instead of it is a given. Personally I dont see the point encouraging people to do HUCA with misleading info when the rule is pretty clear that AS would charge phone booking fee regardless, unless one is Gold or above.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calculon

Similar outcome for us. However we made our case on the following day. The supervisor said that since it was an F redemption (ie we had paid to have it on both segments), we could have access to the first class lounges. Definitely worth asking.
That too, the HKG-DPS has no F service.

Our flight was served by a 747 then, and the nose section was not used normally but we were allowed to keep our 1A and 1K seats. There were also a young couple in the F section middle row. F&B though, was the same as in the J section - Inedible pork chop - so tough that the knife could not cut into it I kid you not. I rang up the FA and just showed her with actual cutting... She quickly apologized and brought me some steamed fish instead. Can't believe someone in CX forum started a thread claiming CX was better than QR or ME3 for that matter...
Old Dec 12, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
I'm happy to pay the booking fee for the great deal of flying the family business class from SEA-DPS for 50k each way. Especially after paying out of the nose for the just-average BA J award with their crazy big taxes. 6 peeps to Bali this June with CX, all business and first. Thanks Alaska!
callmedtop likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by QT31415
I'm happy to pay the booking fee for the great deal of flying the family business class from SEA-DPS for 50k each way. Especially after paying out of the nose for the just-average BA J award with their crazy big taxes. 6 peeps to Bali this June with CX, all business and first. Thanks Alaska!
+1 👍
Couldn't agree more, I booked CD J YVR-HKG//HKG-DPS in January for 50K each. YVR-HKG on the A350. I also booked CX J JNB-HKG//HKG-BOS in February for 62.5K each. Both were booked about 4-5 months out.

For an 8.5 hour flight I refuse to use BA YVR-LHR or beyond with the ridiculous fees. I can fly BA economy for about the same amount as a premium award and get EQM & RDM for the money I would have to spend anyway. I know some would argue that there are less fees and taxes on some routes and if you connect through London but for an average/sub-par experience I am not willing.

James
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by eethan
I surmise you were able to change because your Cathay "ticket" was still unflown. If anyone has changed their CX award after starting their CX flights, let us know any specific steps the AS agent took to make it possible.
This is a bit old, but I wanted to share my experience in case anyone has a similar question in the future. In April I booked a LAX>HKG>TPE award in F. I was able to reschedule the HKG>TPE leg after flying LAX>HKG, although I had to pay a change fee as this was before I reached MVP Gold. The (incredibly nice) AS agent seemed to think this was 100% allowed, although it took him about an hour of working with CX to get the change confirmed.

Last edited by viviandarkbloom; Dec 17, 2017 at 7:12 pm
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Originally Posted by viviandarkbloom
This is a bit old, but I wanted to share my experience in case anyone has a similar question in the future. In April I booked a LAX>HKG>TPE award in F. I was able to reschedule the HKG>TPE leg after flying LAX>HKG, although I had to pay a change fee as this was before I reached MVP Gold. The (incredibly nice) AS agent seemed to think this was 100% allowed, although it took him about an hour of working with CX to get the change confirmed.
Oh god let me just say if you have Status, especially 75k, some agents will bend over backwards and do anything. Lots of times they’ll straight up break rules. I was able to book a HKG-JFK-SFO-SEA in VA F. YMMV who knows
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
That too, the HKG-DPS has no F service.

Our flight was served by a 747 then, and the nose section was not used normally but we were allowed to keep our 1A and 1K seats. There were also a young couple in the F section middle row. F&B though, was the same as in the J section - Inedible pork chop - so tough that the knife could not cut into it I kid you not. I rang up the FA and just showed her with actual cutting... She quickly apologized and brought me some steamed fish instead. Can't believe someone in CX forum started a thread claiming CX was better than QR or ME3 for that matter...
Nor did our onward flight to Jakarta. We were originally in first class on that segment, but they changed aircraft, and have all but eliminated it on that route it would appear. Maybe that was a point in our favor.

I fly up front almost entirely for the bed. Second is for the better ground service, and a distant third is the opportunity to sample absurdly overpriced wine and liquor. Food is rarely exciting on any airline, regardless of how they plate it or set the table, but it is usually edible. So Cathay is more than acceptable to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.