Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:53 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I just cancelled a Z on 13 JAN CX 831 (JFK-HKG). Currently shows F2. Good chance it would come back as an award.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Ellice
Could someone tell as I'm new to AS ;-
I saw availability on BA HKG-MAN-LHR on CX 0357 but when I rang AS the agent couldn't see that flight offered. Is that just how it works, not all CX flights are offered to AS that are showing on BA search?
For flights to/from the UK and HKG it is often the case that BA shows availability while AS and AA cannot see availability. It is likely that this is a point-of-sale issue... CX are controlling inventory based on the location of the booking request. BA naturally use UK as their location. AA and AS are using the USA and so if CX are restricting availability for UK flights to UK point-of-sale then it will not show as available to AA or AS. JAL is the only airline I have found where you can control your POS... register on their site with a UK address and you will see inventory for UK POS, register with a USA address and it will show inventory for a USA POS.

As far as we know there is nothing you can do... we cannot request AS or AA to use a UK POS.

DAK.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I have booked JNB-HKG in J and HKG-SFO in F. Will it be easy to change JNB-HKG segment to MLE-HKG at a later date without losing the F segment?

I am still deciding between the two but mostly wanted to lock down the HKG-SFO segment.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by invalyd
I have booked JNB-HKG in J and HKG-SFO in F. Will it be easy to change JNB-HKG segment to MLE-HKG at a later date without losing the F segment?

I am still deciding between the two but mostly wanted to lock down the HKG-SFO segment.
IME it should be (assuming you get an agent with enough CX experience).
invalyd likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: points traveller
Hi all

just wanted to confirm that a SYD-HKG-SIN on CX metal would be 2 awards and not 1?

thanks!
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by diningdecadence
Hi all

just wanted to confirm that a SYD-HKG-SIN on CX metal would be 2 awards and not 1?

thanks!
Yes, it goes exactly as it says in the wiki.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:22 pm

I just cancelled JFK-YVR-JFK for memorial Day weekend in F, in case anybody is looking for those dates
Old Jan 18, 2018, 11:31 pm

After trying several times, I finally snagged 2 (!!) CX F tickets, both on CX257, 7 months out. Most of the agents I spoke to only found coach availability, while BA.com showed a lot of available J (even F) seats for the FRA/CDG/AMS/BRU-HKG routes (or vice versa). Maybe it was total bs, but one agent told me a few days ago AS (as for Europe-HKG) was only able to book CX F/J on ZRH/LHR-HKG... Maybe it has nothing to do with it, but yesterday the AS agent could see the same CX F seats (on HKG-LHR) BA.com showed and had no problems at all booking them.

I now have 1 typo (B instead of P) with the first name on one of these tickets. Is AS able to change this or do I contact CX? And I can see my CX booking online, but I can't select seats.. Is this normal?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 11:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Tamos
After trying several times, I finally snagged 2 (!!) CX F tickets, both on CX257, 7 months out. Most of the agents I spoke to only found coach availability, while BA.com showed a lot of available J (even F) seats for the FRA/CDG/AMS/BRU-HKG routes (or vice versa). Maybe it was total bs, but one agent told me a few days ago AS (as for Europe-HKG) was only able to book CX F/J on ZRH/LHR-HKG... Maybe it has nothing to do with it, but yesterday the AS agent could see the same CX F seats (on HKG-LHR) BA.com showed and had no problems at all booking them.

I now have 1 typo (B instead of P) with the first name on one of these tickets. Is AS able to change this or do I contact CX? And I can see my CX booking online, but I can't select seats.. Is this normal?
I'd contact AS to change.

Congrats!
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Good on you. Thannks for letting us know. Gives us some hope.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:21 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tamos

Only AS can initiate the name change by sending a request to CX. If you call CX, they will tell you to call AS.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:24 pm
Community Director Emerita

I successfully got two business class award tickets on CX from Australia to the US this week for 60K points per person. I have points in lots of programs and was really frustrated to find nothing available. Forget about finding nonstop flights on AA/QF/UA. It's not going to happen. I decided to call AS and see if there was anything available. It's best to identify all of Cathay's gateway cities in Australia before making the call. I didn't, but the agent patiently waited while I brought up various possibilities. There was nothing from SYD, MEL, ADL, PER, or BNE. Finally it occurred to me to ask her to check Cairns. There were four seats available two consecutive days, the only two I asked her to check. I only needed two and then found two biz seats from HKG-LAX with a one night layover. Cairns is actually the gateway to a very interesting area so we will take advantage of the booking and visit the area.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I successfully got two business class award tickets on CX from Australia to the US this week for 60K points per person. I have points in lots of programs and was really frustrated to find nothing available. Forget about finding nonstop flights on AA/QF/UA. It's not going to happen. I decided to call AS and see if there was anything available. It's best to identify all of Cathay's gateway cities in Australia before making the call. I didn't, but the agent patiently waited while I brought up various possibilities. There was nothing from SYD, MEL, ADL, PER, or BNE. Finally it occurred to me to ask her to check Cairns. There were four seats available two consecutive days, the only two I asked her to check. I only needed two and then found two biz seats from HKG-LAX with a one night layover. Cairns is actually the gateway to a very interesting area so we will take advantage of the booking and visit the area.
Cairns is ok if you are into partying. Head up to Port Douglas where its more sophisticated and you can find some of the finest restaurants in Australia. If you plan on going to the Great Barrier Reef, Port Douglas is closer to the nicer parts.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Just wondering I have been having the same problem trying to get HKG-EUR. I'm not wanting to go from HKG-US just to get to EUR. Did you check either QF or BA for CX availability first? I've been doing this for days. I did ring about availability with CX with the AS call centre but they can't access a lot of the BA/QF CX award availability. Do you think it's better just to ring AS call centre periodically to see if they can come up with anything. Getting connecting flight HKG-EUR after securing AKL-HKG on CX J has been just about impossible unless you are prepared to stay 4-7 days in HKG.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:47 pm

By calling Alaska 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily......Is it update in 5AM only apply to CX or apply to Qantas as well?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.