Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2017, 5:09 pm

so actually I asked the agent to check DPS-TPE (via HK with CX) and the agent said there is availability, but there is nothing available if just from DPS to HK.....that's odd...because it is the same flight from DPS to HK.

Originally Posted by apple1122
But JAL site also shows 4 seats available on the date I want to book....

so if they are phantom seats, say if I book through BA or JAL, award will not be confirmed?
Old Feb 3, 2017, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
so actually I asked the agent to check DPS-TPE (via HK with CX) and the agent said there is availability, but there is nothing available if just from DPS to HK.....that's odd...because it is the same flight from DPS to HK.
Same flight number? Is so that's correct, married segments. For example YVR-JFK space is held back for those going all the way HKG-JFK.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 7:52 pm

Yes, it is the same flight #, same departure time from DPS.

I am trying to book from DPS-HKG (stopover)-LAX-SEA. But I actually I wanted to go to TPE, but Alaska award is only allowed to do stopover in HKG. Agent said if I want to do DPS-TPE (transfer in HK), then TPE-HKG(transfer)-LAX-SEA, it will have to be two separate award flights and have to pay the partner fee twice since it is two awards....

Originally Posted by CDKing
Same flight number? Is so that's correct, married segments. For example YVR-JFK space is held back for those going all the way HKG-JFK.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 8:36 pm

You can stopover anywhere along the route but you can't transit the same airport twice. So you could to SIN-BKK (stopover)-HKG-LAX all on Cathay but only because Cathay flies a fifth freedom between SIN and BKK. Unfortunately no such routing available via TPE.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 10:13 pm

Had a frustrating experience trying to book BNE - HKG - LAX/SFO.

BNE - HKG was showing 2 J seats with JL & QF (Don't have access to BA). AS couldn't see either of them.

On another day, same route, JL & QF showed one J seat. AS couldn't see.

Tried PER-HKG as a chance, JL & QF showed 2 J seats. AS could see both of them.

Then with HKG-SFO, I could see 1 F seat, AS couldn't see anything

HKG-LAX, JL/QF showing 1 F seat. AS could see 1F 1J.

Seems to be more 'out of sync' than usual?
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:28 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, AAdvantage, Chase Ultimate Rewards, IHG Rewards Platinum
When can I book CX award with AS miles?

Hi all,

Sorry for the noob question, didn't find it in the wiki or briefly searching the thread. How far in advance can I book a CX award ticket with AS miles. Thanks.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 1:15 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
330 days.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 2:03 am

Hi,

Is it possible to book the following route with Alaska miles?

TPE->HKG (transfer)-LAX (transfer) -SEA (stopover)-HNL?

Am I allowed to do a stopover in any US city for Asia to US one way award?

thanks!
Old Feb 4, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVP, TK Gold, Bonvoy Titatium
Originally Posted by CDKing
No stop-over on Asia-Asia is not your issue. Your issue is actually Asia to Middle East awards do not exist using AS miles, its a Middle East to/from Hong Kong award.
I was told by agent from Seattle that CX has strict route rules.

Asia to/from Middle East / India / Europe / South Africa / Australia / New Zealand on Cathay Pacific actually means Hong Kong to/from these region. i.e. do not allow additional flights on CX within Asia region.

Asia to Asia DO allow using Hong Kong as transit point but no stopover allowed.

If the redemption involves USA (not sure about Canada) to/from other region that transit in Hong Kong, then stopover is allowed.

Is the above true?
Old Feb 5, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AA PLT, DL GM, SPG GLD, Hyatt GLD, SPG GLD

so if they are phantom seats, say if I book through BA or JAL, award will not be confirmed?
What on earth makes you think you can book an AS award through BA or JAL?

Hi,

Is it possible to book the following route with Alaska miles?

TPE->HKG (transfer)-LAX (transfer) -SEA (stopover)-HNL?

Am I allowed to do a stopover in any US city for Asia to US one way award?

thanks!
Yes, that is one of the very highest uses of an AS award on Cathay. I myself booked SIN/HKG/LAX/SEA/LIH. Completed the leg back to SEA in late November, and am currently on my stopover in SEA until my final segment... in September.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by lky001
I was told by agent from Seattle that CX has strict route rules.

Asia to/from Middle East / India / Europe / South Africa / Australia / New Zealand on Cathay Pacific actually means Hong Kong to/from these region. i.e. do not allow additional flights on CX within Asia region.

Asia to Asia DO allow using Hong Kong as transit point but no stopover allowed.

If the redemption involves USA (not sure about Canada) to/from other region that transit in Hong Kong, then stopover is allowed.

Is the above true?
Unfortunately it's sorta difficult to tell where things stand, because those route rule notes were wiped from the AS award chart CX details the last time they were updated on the AS website, and haven't been fixed (yet?) The only one I'm certain of is the HKG to Australia or New Zealand (NO stopover allowed, it's specifically calculated only from HKG). But I seem to recall pre-update that the Asia/Europe or Asia/Africa (which is only South Africa) DID allow a stopover in HKG, since they were priced similar to the C1/C3 awards. That still seems to be the case.

Basically, if you see an F award in the ~30K range then it's no stopover. If it's more like in the ~70K range, you're good with a stopover. YMMV, but I'd say this is definitely a HUCA opportunity. (Make sure to ask to go straight to the Partner Awards desk so you're not wasting your time...)

Would really be nice if they fixed the website on this one, it's created a lot of confusion for everyone.

I really should message Missydarlin on this one...

Last edited by brizone; Feb 5, 2017 at 10:57 am Reason: duh, there's no G in Darlin'!
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by brizone
What on earth makes you think you can book an AS award through BA or JAL?
I'm quite sure apple1122 was asking if the seats shown by the BA and JL search engines are merely phantom space.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
But I seem to recall pre-update that the Asia/Europe or Asia/Africa (which is only South Africa) DID allow a stopover in HKG, since they were priced similar to the C1/C3 awards. That still seems to be the case.
That isn't true, I'm afraid. Asia to/from Africa/Europe means to/from HKG only.

If you need a connecting flight to another Asian city that would be on a separate award.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by SilverChris
That isn't true, I'm afraid. Asia to/from Africa/Europe means to/from HKG only.

If you need a connecting flight to another Asian city that would be on a separate award.
Well that sucks. Then again those weren't the charts I noticed in more than passing last fall (not the objective), so apparently memory failed me there.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Well that sucks. Then again those weren't the charts I noticed in more than passing last fall (not the objective), so apparently memory failed me there.
Sorry about the memory, it happens. Right now JL is the only partner that allows intraasia stop-overs (as long as not japan to japan). CX has always been stop-over to/from North America. asia to asia is the only exception i believe to the must start or end in HKG (minus to/from North america awards)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.