Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AA PLT, DL GM, SPG GLD, Hyatt GLD, SPG GLD
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Would you be able to elaborate on how you check for "phantom inventory" on BA?
Verify it on JL?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AA PLT, DL GM, SPG GLD, Hyatt GLD, SPG GLD
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Regardless, the seat AS reps couldn't see when I tried to book it is still available according to BA, JL and QF's search engines (I know what I am doing and know how to check for BA phantom inventory). So let's just say I suspect that perhaps AS agents were doing it wrong, or AS's GDS sync with CX is messed up, or CX is filtering search results differently for AS than their OW partners (I note that AS found CX Y+ I could see on BA but not F). Seems to confirm what the bloggers and others have talked about.

(I might try back though to see if this clears up.)
Agreed, I've concluded it's a constellation of issues (any combination of which seem to potentially be present at a given moment), including:

1) Some kind of kludgy, unreliable GDS sync.
2) Different award availability between partner levels (?). AS does after all have its own one-off deal going here...
3) Fairly Regular and Irregular award releases at certain (HKG) times, somehow hitting different systems with different delays.
4) CX VooDoo booking process which seems to be a mystery to half the AS CS agents.

Honestly don't understand why this is so damn hard in 2017.

What I do understand is that there's no effective incentive to fix the problems, thus we have this little cottage industry akin to Kremlin-watching...
Old Feb 16, 2017, 11:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by brizone
Honestly don't understand why this is so damn hard in 2017.

What I do understand is that there's no effective incentive to fix the problems, thus we have this little cottage industry akin to Kremlin-watching...
If it was easier, the space would be even more hard to find
Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by brizone
Verify it on JL?
Ah, makes sense....

What's a good way to rule out phantom availability for PE seats? JL doesn't seem to offer PE rewards on CX.

Also... If some seats show up on JL but not BA, can I assume those are "phantom" as well?

Last edited by pentiumvi; Feb 18, 2017 at 7:23 pm
Old Feb 19, 2017, 3:46 am

How's Sfo-HKG-BKK J/F availability these days?
Old Feb 19, 2017, 8:09 am

LAX-DCA availability

I've managed to find HKG-LAX availability for my dates on Cathay, but I'm having trouble finding LAX-DCA availability on Alaska to get all the way home!

It seems like the transcon flights on alaska from the LA area to the DC area are all in the higher alaska award bucket, so they can't be tacked onto a cathay flight. This seems to be an issue all year, not just at end of calendar (main cabin or first class) The only flights that show a lower mileage cost are on virgin america, which can't be added to a cathay itinerary either. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is the availability on Alaska just generally terrible on transcon flights? Any way around it? Any insight would be much appreciated!
Old Feb 19, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by crazytravelguy
How's Sfo-HKG-BKK J/F availability these days?
I have absolutely no clue ... why don't you do the research for yourself and then report back to us?

Originally Posted by dukewake
I've managed to find HKG-LAX availability for my dates on Cathay, but I'm having trouble finding LAX-DCA availability on Alaska to get all the way home!

It seems like the transcon flights on alaska from the LA area to the DC area are all in the higher alaska award bucket, so they can't be tacked onto a cathay flight. This seems to be an issue all year, not just at end of calendar (main cabin or first class) The only flights that show a lower mileage cost are on virgin america, which can't be added to a cathay itinerary either. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is the availability on Alaska just generally terrible on transcon flights? Any way around it? Any insight would be much appreciated!
Not every combination is possible with miles, especially given the date limitations that typically occur when booking international award tickets.

Sometimes it's necessary to book a trip as two awards, paying the higher mileage level for the high-demand, high-value transcon flight on AS.

Or another option is to buy a separate trans-con revenue ticket with cash on Alaska Air or the carrier of your choice.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 5:22 pm

That transcon availability on Alaska is going to be tough (as it hardly ever opens up for the lower award bucket). You can always just keep watching it to see if you can tack it on in the future. Another alternative is to search for HKG-JFK or EWR availability for your dates as that brings you closer to your ultimate destination and then perhaps you can buy a lower priced ticket to get you to DC. If you end up getting a seat to EWR you could even just take Amtrak home.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Is the availability on Alaska just generally terrible on transcon flights? Any way around it? Any insight would be much appreciated!
What about BWI-LAX on AS?
Old Feb 19, 2017, 8:43 pm

Thanks, all. It looks like my best bet is to go with a HKG-JFK reservation, and then just book a cheap AA flight home, or take the train.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 9:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Thanks, all. It looks like my best bet is to go with a HKG-JFK reservation, and then just book a cheap AA flight home, or take the train.
That would probably be a more comfortable ride anyway, as an AS transcon after CX F... would be a bit of a letdown. Granted I'm used to this going back to ANC
Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
yeah as somebody else said. LAX - BWI is a really cheap route generally between $100-150 (on Alaska metal). I fly this route quite a bit.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Jma12
AS gets less space release from CX for certain route. One example is HKG-DPS, CX completely blocks space to AS, but shows availability on BA.
I wonder if it's by route, or just a simple subtraction system as has been reported for Alaska's allocation on Fiji Airways?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:13 pm

A couple questions for you guys:

If JL displays available seats that aren't reflected on BA, would those be considered "phantom". Or does JL tend to have more accurate inventory counts?

Next, is there any way to search prem. economy seats in JL? Or is BA/QF the only way?

Thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2017, 1:57 am

I'm looking to do ORD/BOS/JFK-HKG-SYD/MEL-HKG-ORD/BOS/JFK in August/September/October. The tpac would be F and the Aus flight J. I feel like I'm being very flexible because I'm open to most dates in a 90 day period and many combinations of cities.

Even at this awkward time (6-8 months early) I'm finding good tpac availability both ways but the aus flights are nonexistant.

1) Are aus flights generally more difficult and should I expect more space to open up soonish (or at close-in)?

2) If I book an aus flight in economy and space opens, can I then upgrade to J? Any fee associated with this?

3) Any other tips or things to know about HKG-SYD/MEL-HKG availability? I'm tried JAL, I've tried BA, I've tried Qantas search engines for awards, the closest availability I can find is November...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.