FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later
Old Feb 19, 2017, 10:11 am
AKCuisine

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by crazytravelguy
How's Sfo-HKG-BKK J/F availability these days?
I have absolutely no clue ... why don't you do the research for yourself and then report back to us?

Originally Posted by dukewake
I've managed to find HKG-LAX availability for my dates on Cathay, but I'm having trouble finding LAX-DCA availability on Alaska to get all the way home!

It seems like the transcon flights on alaska from the LA area to the DC area are all in the higher alaska award bucket, so they can't be tacked onto a cathay flight. This seems to be an issue all year, not just at end of calendar (main cabin or first class) The only flights that show a lower mileage cost are on virgin america, which can't be added to a cathay itinerary either. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is the availability on Alaska just generally terrible on transcon flights? Any way around it? Any insight would be much appreciated!
Not every combination is possible with miles, especially given the date limitations that typically occur when booking international award tickets.

Sometimes it's necessary to book a trip as two awards, paying the higher mileage level for the high-demand, high-value transcon flight on AS.

Or another option is to buy a separate trans-con revenue ticket with cash on Alaska Air or the carrier of your choice.