Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
What is the most J seats someone has managed to book from asia to us at T-330?

The reason I ask is I am struggling with the following:

The family is planning our trip for next year and are debating if they want to grab the JL J seats at 60k for TYO-USA for 3 + a lap child or detour to HK on CX and grab 4 seats at 50k for TYO-HKG-USA for 20k more + extra taxes.

I have seen the infant price be anywhere from $300 to $700 - so is the 20k could come in on the cheap side vs. the revenue.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by stompey5
What is the most J seats someone has managed to book from asia to us at T-330?
For me, it has been four seats ex-LAX at t-330 in J. We also had one F seat on the flight so a totally of 5 passengers booked at t-330. Eventually, we were able to convert two of the four J seats to F seats about a week before departure.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
No.

I've had CX reservations before that have taken this long. I have never received any rebates due to the length of the transaction.
Apparently I misheard the rep or he was mistaken.

Today I received a generic email from customer service for a $75 voucher and not the 7500 pts I thought I heard him say. Considering I didn't ask for anything or even mention the wait, it's a nice gesture to bolster my opinion of AS.

My previous CX redemption on AS took 11 minutes, although that was admittedly simpler. In both cases I was feeding segment by segment and all seats were visible to the rep.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 3:18 pm

For those who were successful in booking the HKG-JNB (or reverse direction) segment, what day was it? Did you see this award segment on any weekend days? How far in advance did you book?

Ironically, I find it easy to get the North America-HKG (or reverse direction) segment, but find the segment to/fro South Africa to be elusive, even when check 330 days in advance.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by gnomey
For those who were successful in booking the HKG-JNB (or reverse direction) segment, what day was it? Did you see this award segment on any weekend days? How far in advance did you book?

Ironically, I find it easy to get the North America-HKG (or reverse direction) segment, but find the segment to/fro South Africa to be elusive, even when check 330 days in advance.
when I called to book hkg to jnb 330 days in the future I got two seats on the same day (Monday) but different departures.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
As far as I know, none of them really offer perfect indication of AS availability.

Having recently gone through the process though, I'd say if you find something that shows on both JL and BA, good chance AS will see them as well.
Thanks for this tip! I have been researching CX award availability using JL alone and it did not pan out. Had my itinerary all mapped out and then of course, there wasn't availability on some legs. Too many false positives. In total, I spent 68 minutes on the phone booking the trip while having the CSR check several gateway cities on several dates/times and F/J fare classes.

I hadn't thought of cross referencing multiple partner award engines. Will do this in the future to hopefully save me some time.

I did find that having them look segment by segment (as advised in this thread I think) was the best way. The dates I ended up booking would not show up if searched YVR-AKL, but would show up if she searched each segment individually using YVR-HKG then HKG-AKL.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gpeso8
For me, it has been four seats ex-LAX at t-330 in J. We also had one F seat on the flight so a totally of 5 passengers booked at t-330. Eventually, we were able to convert two of the four J seats to F seats about a week before departure.
Typical max on longhaul to lax is 5C 1F - often its less or none but i ve never seen more initially.
Close to dept it can be anything.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
when I called to book hkg to jnb 330 days in the future I got two seats on the same day (Monday) but different departures.
Are you sure it is hkg-jnb? There is only ONE flight per day, how can you get TWO different departures on same day? on the ONLY flight?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HKG-JNB route is ONE flight per day. It also has a very healthy load hence once the 2 J seats are released, they are snatched up very quickly.

I have never seen additional releases in my experiences flying this route 3 times. The last one when we checked in at JNB we were almost bumped due to the J cabins were oversold by 1. Reward tickets are at the bottom of the totem pole in CX system - they can bump you if the flight is oversold.
We defused the situation by joking around with the agent who was quite persistent, wanted to send us to SAS on the same day... At the end we prevailed. The flight was full to the gill including the PE and E cabins.

We have another JNB-HKG booked for end of August this year - ticketed in Nov 2016. I have NOT seen any additional J release ever since ticketing.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
What do you mean by different departures? I thought CX only flies out of JNB once per day?

Originally Posted by Happy
HKG-JNB route is ONE flight per day. It also has a very healthy load hence once the 2 J seats are released, they are snatched up very quickly.

I have never seen additional releases in my experiences flying this route 3 times. The last one when we checked in at JNB we were almost bumped due to the J cabins were oversold by 1. Reward tickets are at the bottom of the totem pole in CX system - they can bump you if the flight is oversold.
We defused the situation by joking around with the agent who was quite persistent, wanted to send us to SAS on the same day... At the end we prevailed. The flight was full to the gill including the PE and E cabins.

We have another JNB-HKG booked for end of August this year - ticketed in Nov 2016. I have NOT seen any additional J release ever since ticketing.
Good to know then. I actually checked for the JNB-HKG flight the moment the 330 days opened up for AS redemption booking. But I didnt see any for the date I want. So it could be taken up by someone in the Marco Polo Club or something since they have access to it first.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:45 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, Southwest A-List, United MileagePlus Gold, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
I've just tried to look for HKG-DPS/DPS-HKG availability and AS could find nothing at all.

I got the agent to look through a 2 month window... Lots of space in Y showing on BA/JL.

Wonder if for some reason CX is blocking award space on this route for AS...
I am experiencing the exact same thing. Tons of Y inventory (no J) showing on
BA/JL for HKG-DPS for the date I am looking at and several after - yet the agent shows 0 on everything.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:03 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
What do you mean by different departures? I thought CX only flies out of JNB once per day?

Good to know then. I actually checked for the JNB-HKG flight the moment the 330 days opened up for AS redemption booking. But I didnt see any for the date I want. So it could be taken up by someone in the Marco Polo Club or something since they have access to it first.
oh I'll have to check my SO's account. I knew we had to book seperate F JFK HKG flights. Maybe the agent got us both on the same HKG JNB, one less thing I have to worry about coordinating
Old Mar 2, 2017, 1:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
The one time I flew to JNB on CX was in F, so its been a while. Got very lucky too as I was able to get two seats in F (I was in PE initially, but back when there was 9 F, it was a bit easier). This was in August, but again a few years ago.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
The one time I flew to JNB on CX was in F, so its been a while. Got very lucky too as I was able to get two seats in F (I was in PE initially, but back when there was 9 F, it was a bit easier). This was in August, but again a few years ago.
It was probably 4 years ago when CX used 747 to fly the JNB-HKG route. Once the 747 was retired and 777 came in, the service was downgraded to 3 class.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 1:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Happy
It was probably 4 years ago when CX used 747 to fly the JNB-HKG route. Once the 747 was retired and 777 came in, the service was downgraded to 3 class.
I know... I was reminiscing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.