Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Merlinrnr
I had MAA-HKG-JFK-SEA-LAX in F ticketed fine. But no stopover just transit. Thankfully on the day of HKG-LAX opened up and I was able to switch it out. The agent didn't even charge me the change fee (maybe she forgot). So I was super excited to not have such a circuitous routing.
One of the lucky one who was able to get a disallowed routing. No stop-over may have helped.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AA PLT, DL GM, SPG GLD, Hyatt GLD, SPG GLD
I had MAA-HKG-JFK-SEA-LAX in F ticketed fine. But no stopover just transit. Thankfully on the day of HKG-LAX opened up and I was able to switch it out. The agent didn't even charge me the change fee (maybe she forgot). So I was super excited to not have such a circuitous routing.
Just to confirm: this was on an award - not revenue - ticket, yes?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by brizone
Just to confirm: this was on an award - not revenue - ticket, yes?
Yes it was an AS award ticket. Back in January 2016.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Yes it was an AS award ticket. Back in January 2016.
Back when it was easier to get an agent to force through disallowed routings
Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:24 pm

Just booked hkg-sfo F. As agent tried to charge $15 booking fee but I said I can't book them online. He waived it.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Couple of questions which I don't think are addressed in the wiki:

Does AS allow one to hold an award a la AA? I don't see this mentioned anywhere (I've read several pages of this thread), so I assume not. Don't have any AS miles, so would have to transfer SPG.

AS also does not allow the mixing of partners, correct? I.E. We can't book an AA award segment to LAX, then LAX-HKG-XXX on CX - as one award using AS mies. Is that also correct? If so, that's a huge bummer - despite the significantly more favorable redemption rates on AS (compared to AA).
Old Mar 25, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Couple of questions which I don't think are addressed in the wiki:

Does AS allow one to hold an award a la AA? I don't see this mentioned anywhere (I've read several pages of this thread), so I assume not. Don't have any AS miles, so would have to transfer SPG.

AS also does not allow the mixing of partners, correct? I.E. We can't book an AA award segment to LAX, then LAX-HKG-XXX on CX - as one award using AS mies. Is that also correct? If so, that's a huge bummer - despite the significantly more favorable redemption rates on AS (compared to AA).
Your questions have been addressed in the threads on the forum.

1) No, holds are not allowed.

2) No, you cannot mix two partner carriers on a single AS award ticket. Only a single partner can be paired with AS metal.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 12 year ex AA CK, AA LT PLT, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver
For the experts here, how often does CX release one F seat on HKG-JFK when the flight is showing F3 J4 Y9 ?

This is for a flight next week.

Mrs. gg and I have 2 J seats secured but I want to be in F. I see one award seat in F available... that would take it to F2.

Might they then release one mroe F seat nearer the time to take it to F1 or are those days over?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by griffingrowl
For the experts here, how often does CX release one F seat on HKG-JFK when the flight is showing F3 J4 Y9 ?

This is for a flight next week.

Mrs. gg and I have 2 J seats secured but I want to be in F. I see one award seat in F available... that would take it to F2.

Might they then release one mroe F seat nearer the time to take it to F1 or are those days over?
Typically {if F selling > 1 then (selling minus one) < 18 hrs} is a good bet. You're a fool for not grabbing the one F award now.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 1:53 am

Programs: Flying Blue Jeune, BAEC Blue, Eurobonus, Alaska Mileage Plan, Nice Airport Club Airport Premier Gold
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
2) No, you cannot mix two partner carriers on a single AS award ticket. Only a single partner can be paired with AS metal.
So in that spirit, is it possible to mix CX from JFK to YVR in J, a stopover in YVR then continue on AS in either J or Y from YVR to SEA in the same 25K award ticket ? Thanks !
Old Mar 26, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Your questions have been addressed in the threads on the forum.

1) No, holds are not allowed.

haha seriously? My bad, next time I'll read through every single thread on FT before asking a question.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by roimaaf
So in that spirit, is it possible to mix CX from JFK to YVR in J, a stopover in YVR then continue on AS in either J or Y from YVR to SEA in the same 25K award ticket ? Thanks !
No. You will see that the CX award is to YVR only. Allowing CX to transport as part of a USA domestic itinerary (JFK-SEA) would violate USA law regarding cabotage and subject AS and/or CX to large fines. Non-USA airlines may not transport passengers on domestic itineraries, even with an intermediary stop in Canada that switches airlines.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
No. You will see that the CX award is to YVR only. Allowing CX to transport as part of a USA domestic itinerary (JFK-SEA) would violate USA law regarding cabotage and subject AS and/or CX to large fines. Non-USA airlines may not transport passengers on domestic itineraries, even with an intermediary stop in Canada that switches airlines.
except of course the JFK LAX Qantas flight I'm flying this week 😂
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Is it normal to not be able to select a seat on CX when redeeming AS miles for a premium economy seat? (T class)

just seems odd for 2 super long flights.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Is it normal to not be able to select a seat on CX when redeeming AS miles for a premium economy seat? (T class)

just seems odd for 2 super long flights.
Yes, T is one of those fare buckets which are excluded from advance seat selection, unless you're a OW elite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.