Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I don't mention it because a) it's not entirely true (review the thread, people report finding availability that isn't visible on BA) and b) you don't definitively know that it's AS doing the blocking. If you do definitively know, congratulations on your employment at Alaska Airlines. When did they hire you and give you access to their instance of SABRE? I'm keen to find out. Have you run into missydarlin in the employee cafeteria?

(PS: it's not that hard to run point of sale blocks that look for AS asking for CX F/J and deny inventory if you're CX. LH used to do this to US back in the day when THEY didn't want US's cheap mile sales sucking out inventory from M&M elites, and admitted to it. Or it could just be AS's janky instance of SABRE, which apparently they bought from a military surplus store secondhand. We don't know unless one of us is actually informed as to what's going on, and that would be AS or CX employees who actually know.)

10 to 20k at a valuation of a penny a mile is $100-200. At the price AS sells to the public (~2cpm) it's $200-400. Keep in mind AS doesn't sell miles just to the public. BofA isn't likely buying AS miles at 2 cents per mile.

So a few hundred dollars of the costs of miles on CX F awards is the difference between AS losing buckets of money on their FF program and not?

So here's a thought... AS controls the inventory of miles AND the award charts. They set the price for their miles. If selling miles at 2 cents per mile and letting people redeem for 70k in CX F isn't profitable, so you have to block redemption inventory... don't sell miles so cheap?

But no, there's a mile sale on. As there always is.
You can defend AS however you want to. Did I say I knew anything? I said I am guessing that is the way AS chooses to operate to minimize their costs. I dont care to write the sensational pieces you do as retorting is never a good way to handle a discussion but that seems to be your preferred style.

As for someone found availability that wasn't found on BA, yes, there were such DPs but how much was the % versus those who could not find anything when BA/JL/QF all show availability? I would bet the ratio is less than 1 to 10.

From all we learned during the dark periods AS shut down accounts, BofA did not buy miles from AS, unlike Citi/Chase/AMEX. The AS model is unique. It worked for them when their FFP was not noticeable until the proliferation of travel hacking blogs. I used to tell friends that because there are much less AS FFP members versus AA FFP members, especially for the accounts with hefty balances, there are much less competition for AS partner awards. Of course things changed, rapidly.

Buying miles to redeem premium cabins is nothing new. The Aussies were known to do that with US miles for their flights to EU on Star Alliance partners until that did not work anymore. It is a game of Arbitrage, not unlike playing it in the stock / bond markets everyday. Of course there is risk - the risk here for those who buy miles is, their miles may very well not get what they expect to get, that is, a cheap CX premium seat to where they want to go on the date(s) they want to go. Still, there should be a little bit of trust that people can put on the airlines to honor their ends of the bargain. Else, you vote with your wallet.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ua never admitted starnet blocking either...
When airlines block partner it is usually well known - CX is not in that group. I am quite certain this is AS doing the blocking but ppl of course can come up with other explanations if they prefer...
Happy likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:43 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
b) you don't definitively know that it's AS doing the blocking. If you do definitively know, congratulations on your employment at Alaska Airlines.
Deja vu of this discussion CX blocking award availability when it's close to departure? . BA has not admitted to blocking CX availability either.
Happy likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
Deja vu of this discussion CX blocking award availability when it's close to departure? . BA has not admitted to blocking CX availability either.
Doesnt change the correctness of the statement: We don't have any actual evidence to indicate who is blocking inventory, or if it is intentionally blocked at all. In the end, it's rather pointless to speculate, and even more pointless to argue about who's speculation is less speculative. We can complain to Alaska, we can complain to Cathay, but in the end we must deal with reality.

As someone who has never failed to secure the seat I wanted on CX (in the end, even if not at first), I'm not going to rock the boat.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by lingecw
I booked a few tickets from Calgary to Bangkok a few days ago, and paid the fees. Today, I called in to change for the date of the last leg HKG->BKK, I assumed there should not be any extra charge to amend that as it is the same Cathay flight, the only difference is the day and time. But I was charged an extra $15.30 per person, and the agent said that it is due to the difference of the international tax, and she said the international tax is changing every day.
Does it sound right?
It is entirely possible. Taxes and rates can change, and the exchange rates between currencies are always fluctuating. I remember making multiple changes to an Air France award through Alaska, all the while the euro kept dropping against the US dollar. Every time I fiddled with it, I got a few dollars back.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I booked a few tickets from Calgary to Bangkok a few days ago, and paid the fees. Today, I called in to change for the date of the last leg HKG->BKK, I assumed there should not be any extra charge to amend that as it is the same Cathay flight, the only difference is the day and time. But I was charged an extra $15.30 per person, and the agent said that it is due to the difference of the international tax, and she said the international tax is changing every day.
Does it sound right?
often if you change from connection to stopover additional taxes/fees are collected - can that be your case here?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Happy
You can defend AS however you want to.
"We don't actually know what's going on" is hardly a defense. Given the ongoing operations problems across the network, having partner premium award availability across multiple partners be an opaque crapshoot as well regardless of the root cause (AS blocking, CX blocking, crappy SABRE, what have you) makes the actual root cause fairly irrelevant. If cancelled flights and "I can't actually use my AS miles for things I can use my AA/JL miles for (CK/JL/EK)" sours people on the program and sends them elsewhere, who cares if it's AS or CX messing things up?

Originally Posted by Calculon
Doesnt change the correctness of the statement: We don't have any actual evidence to indicate who is blocking inventory, or if it is intentionally blocked at all. In the end, it's rather pointless to speculate, and even more pointless to argue about who's speculation is less speculative. We can complain to Alaska, we can complain to Cathay, but in the end we must deal with reality.
Very much agreed.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Does it sound right?
Originally Posted by azepine00
often if you change from connection to stopover additional taxes/fees are collected - can that be your case here?
Change from same day connection to overnight would explain it. That would trigger the Air Passenger Departure Tax (APDT) of HK$120 which is ~$15.37 as of this second using google's currency converter
lingecw likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Calculon

As someone who has never failed to secure the seat I wanted on CX (in the end, even if not at first), I'm not going to rock the boat.
We can't prove it to the standard of beyond reasonable doubt, but we're not trying to convict AS (BA) of a crime in withholding availability. Balance of probabilities (more than less likely) is enough - in the view of the members (customers) of BAEC, this standard has been met.
Happy likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456
feel like people are just buying miles for 2cpm and redeem on CX J and F.
I wont call this cheating, but wish AS would restrict the ability for non-elite to book certain award or give discount to elite members for booking and raise the price for others.

but again, i am a gamer so i am in no position to complain... just feel bad for the loyal AS flyers.
If AS truly values BIS loyalty it should not do miles sales and then restrict availability then.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
Change from same day connection to overnight would explain it. That would trigger the Air Passenger Departure Tax (APDT) of HK$120 which is ~$15.37 as of this second using google's currency converter
I did see there is $15.3 list as Hong Kong Air Passenger Departure Tax when I click the link to see the taxes and fees.

But my old ticket allowed me to stop in HK for 4 days, that fee should have already included last time.

The only difference with my new ticket is extending my stay in HK to 10 days before continuing to BKK.

Last edited by lingecw; Sep 20, 2017 at 5:02 am
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I did see there is $15.3 list as Hong Kong Air Passenger Departure Tax when I click the link to see the taxes and fees.

But my old ticket allowed me to stop in HK for 4 days, that fee should have already included last time.

The only difference with my new ticket is extending my stay in HK to 10 days before continuing to BKK.
See if you can get a break down of all the taxes. so either it was double charged or they forgot the first time.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
See if you can get a break down of all the taxes. so either it was double charged or they forgot the first time.
I never paid attention to the fee and taxes before. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me, greatly appreciated.

As I no longer have access to the old fee detail, so I don't know if they charged me that fee last time, but it is highly possible that they didn't.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
I never paid attention to the fee and taxes before. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me, greatly appreciated.

As I no longer have access to the old fee detail, so I don't know if they charged me that fee last time, but it is highly possible that they didn't.
1) you do know how much you are paying,

2) you know how much you paid.

3) you can compute the cost of tax and fee access using ita, for example

4) phone booking fee (assuming not waive for non-elite ) is 25 and
partner booking fee is 12.5
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by mbfanos
I tried to book JFK-HKG-SIN with JFK-HKG in F and HKG-SIN in J. The agent sent the booking to their partner travel special team because it was a mixed cabin booking. Then, I was told Cathay didn't allow mixed cabin award booking and I would have to ticket it as 2 tickets. There was no way around it. I told him I flew a few awards ticket just like this and he said:"I'm sorry but we can't ticket mixed cabin ticket anymore".

I was like: OMG, since when Alaska recruited AA phone agents... I'm gonna HUCA later on.

I'm just trying to book an award from Melbourne to the US (So MEL-HKG-US); there's F space on the HKG to US portion, but only J on MEL-HKG (the aircraft doesn't offer F). They're telling me their system can't book mixed cabin awards and saying I have to book two separate tickets at the price of the two tickets as its own itinerary. This seems incredibly dumb. I'm tempted to just book the F portion from HKG, then try and update the itinerary. Any workaround here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.