Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by kodawg9
I'm just trying to book an award from Melbourne to the US (So MEL-HKG-US); there's F space on the HKG to US portion, but only J on MEL-HKG (the aircraft doesn't offer F). They're telling me their system can't book mixed cabin awards and saying I have to book two separate tickets at the price of the two tickets as its own itinerary. This seems incredibly dumb. I'm tempted to just book the F portion from HKG, then try and update the itinerary. Any workaround here?
Hang up and try again. Mention that you want to book a Cathay award and ask to be transfer to a partner agent. Worst case grab the F seat then they will be forced to transfer to partner agent since only the most senior have the ability to make changes to existing CX ticket.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:21 pm

Thanks - I went ahead and booked the F from HKG-US. Will be calling again to get this itinerary changed so I can get the MEL-HKG flight on J as part of this overall itinerary (and just pay the additional 10k in pts for the AUS-US F redemption), rather than 70K from HKG-US (F), then another 30K from MEL-HKG (J). Hope this works. Had to do this because I otherwise would've been stuck in Australia due to the cancelled ANZ Syd-LAX flight.

Edit: Talked to a transfer agent supervisor who tried to book it -- he said this was something implemented within the last few months by Cathay that mixed cabin awards are not possible. Sounds contradictory based on others in this thread saying they've been able to book mixed cabin awards all on 1 itinerary.

Last edited by kodawg9; Sep 20, 2017 at 10:53 pm
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:31 am

Query about J Class availability from West Coast

I have been tracking the availability for the LAX / SFO flights on Cathay for the past 2-3 weeks. Mostly the availability for 2 J class seats has been opening up for the 14 day period. However for the Oct 5 till Oct 17 I see literally no availability on any Cathay flights. I was hoping it to open up this week but nothing so far. Any ideas what might be happening? Any patterns that I might not be aware of.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by domino007
I have been tracking the availability for the LAX / SFO flights on Cathay for the past 2-3 weeks. Mostly the availability for 2 J class seats has been opening up for the 14 day period. However for the Oct 5 till Oct 17 I see literally no availability on any Cathay flights. I was hoping it to open up this week but nothing so far. Any ideas what might be happening? Any patterns that I might not be aware of.
China Golden week travel. Full planes ex-HKG/China this week and next and full planes returning from US the next two weeks.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by kodawg9
I'm just trying to book an award from Melbourne to the US (So MEL-HKG-US); there's F space on the HKG to US portion, but only J on MEL-HKG (the aircraft doesn't offer F). They're telling me their system can't book mixed cabin awards and saying I have to book two separate tickets at the price of the two tickets as its own itinerary. This seems incredibly dumb. I'm tempted to just book the F portion from HKG, then try and update the itinerary. Any workaround here?
My workaround was that I booked J then upgraded the section with F available, J->F, and paid the miles difference.

The first agent told me they tried to book mixed award but Cathay system just didn't accept it. Not sure if it was true or they made it up. Who knows.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:32 pm

Quick data point here.

I called Alaska yesterday evening and successfully booked a business class seat on CX's new A350 flight in early November from HKG - SFO.

Both BA and Qantas were showing only one seat available, so I didn't think the Alaska agent would see and be able to book the seat.

On a lark and out of curiosity I called to verify and walked away with exactly what I wanted.

#lucky
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:42 pm

Programs: ]
J award availability

I am trying to book 2 one-way J class award seats from YYZ to HKG early Feb, but AS agent wasn't able to pull up anything, not even 1 seat. I actually transferred most of my SPG points 2 weeks ago for this. At the time of transfer, I called in and the AS agent was able to see wide open availability, 2-3 seats available on multiple dates.

Any advice on what I should do next?

I am flexible on the timing. Any date between 27-Jan to 15-Feb is fine.

Should I wait and hope CX releases more seats in near future? Or is my chance slim and I should simply book with Avios now? Avios costs more than double.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:01 pm

Is it safe to assume that if I can find multiple seats for sale on a flight that it will open up close in?

I'm looking at CX 883 LAX -> HKG 9/27 and CX 562 HKG -> KIX 10/4 which are not showing availability on Qantas/JL/AS but both have 5 seats for sale per google flights in F.

Thanks!
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:29 am

Feb is still a bit far so can always wait as there is good possibility of J class availability opening up with Cathay - but do keep on watching regularly.

did you explore what BA charges if you cancel your award booking later - you might pay very low taxes when you cancel BA award.

Originally Posted by cheukiecfu
I am trying to book 2 one-way J class award seats from YYZ to HKG early Feb, but AS agent wasn't able to pull up anything, not even 1 seat. I actually transferred most of my SPG points 2 weeks ago for this. At the time of transfer, I called in and the AS agent was able to see wide open availability, 2-3 seats available on multiple dates.

Should I wait and hope CX releases more seats in near future? Or is my chance slim and I should simply book with Avios now? Avios costs more than double.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by domino007
Feb is still a bit far so can always wait as there is good possibility of J class availability opening up with Cathay - but do keep on watching regularly.

did you explore what BA charges if you cancel your award booking later - you might pay very low taxes when you cancel BA award.
OP's origin is YYZ - so the taxes are much higher than origin is from US.

The BA cancellation fee is the lower of the cancellation fee (there is a table for members from different countries) or the cash paid (taxes and YQ). I dont know how much CX YQ is on that route but if there is any, BA sure would charge it.

Good thing is, OP can see how much the cash payment is, on the YYZ-HKG award and to compare the cancellation fee to see if he is willing to pay the cost - but that is counting on CX would release additional seats and AS can book it. A very big IF based on current situation.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by cheukiecfu

Search yourself before you call AS so you know what is and is not available to partners. Sign up for a Qantas FF account (free) so you can do award searches there. I see a couple of dates with 2J awards in your time frame right now. Are you ending in HKG or connecting? There is one flight that arrives HKG in the morning which is good for same day connections and there is another flight in the evening which is not (so if the agent is not searching segment by segment they may not see availability on the later flight for connections). There are some days where there is availability for the later flight but not the earlier flight. If you are connecting and only the later flight is available you could arrive on the later flight, spend the night in HKG (or a couple of days with free stopover), and then continue your journey.

For the earlier flight which leaves 01:20 the AS agent may need to use the workaround for searching availability for flights close to midnight (specify a time for the search). Confirm the AS agent is using the workaround for flights near midnight if you are searching for the 01:20 flight

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28160974-post748.html

Right now Qantas is showing 2J on both CX flights YYZ-HKG 1/28, later flight only 1/31, 2/7, 2/11, 2/14, earlier flight only 2/13 (edit: BA now not showing 2/13).

When first talking to the AS phone agent first mention you want to book a Cathay Pacific award. There are some reports that first line agents will transfer you to the partner desk for booking if you tell them up front you want to book a CX award. If an AS agent cannot find dates Qantas shows as available I would HUCA a few times.

If you are looking for a connection in HKG make sure you have the agent search for the flights segment by segment, not all at once.

Last edited by skimthetrees; Sep 22, 2017 at 10:58 pm Reason: Reflect no 2/13 availability.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: Delta, Alaska Air, & BA
I called to change my LAX-HKG F to a later flight. BA showed availability on 4 days I was looking at, AS rep didn't see any of those flights. I HUCA multiple times to no avail. On a whim I asked the last rep to try JFK-HKG since BA showed what I wanted over 5 days. This time AS availability matched BA's exactly.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:30 pm

YVR-HKG-JNB Help

I'm looking to go YVR-HKG-JNB on CX F with Alaska Miles for the 70,000 mile redemption (140,000 for both of us) for my wife and I sometime in March. We currently have ~200,000 AS Miles and by the time of the flight will have between 225,000-250,000 if that matters.

From what research I've done so far, this is the best redemption for Alaska miles from YVR, right? The other option my wife is interested in is Australia, is there a way to do CX F from YVR-HKG then HKG to Australia somewhere in F as well? That goes up to 80,000 miles, right?

If we did the YVR-HKG-JNB route, I know the first leg can be done in F and the second is done in J. Is there is a limit on stopover length that can be done in HKG? Also, in HKG can the lounge be used on arrival and departure?

I've been using the Qantas site to search reward availability as I like that you can search with a calendar view over a month rather than just specific dates like on BA website. Is it worth booking the dates we want now in J then upgrading to F if it comes available? Or should we wait until T-14 and book whatever comes available in F then? How does the upgrade from J to F work? Does it have to be on the same dates? What is the cost in terms of miles? Is it just the difference between J and F?

Sorry for all the questions but I couldn't find definitive answers elsewhere, if someone can help me out or point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
There is no F availability to JNB or Australia/NZ.
ennsy likes this.

Last edited by dayone; Sep 25, 2017 at 4:29 pm Reason: Remove circular link after merge.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Grab J for now and worry about the F leg later. Otherwise may end up in coach.
ennsy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.