Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2018, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Mister P.
Hi, does Alaska have access to the same award space as Asia Miles?
No. My suggestion is don’t search using Asia Miles and expect to find award space bookable by AS if you don’t see it in other search engines (BA, JL, QF).
windchaser777 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those who will be traveling to HKG, you should closely monitor the thread in CX forum.

No.8 has hoisted. No.10 is expected on Sunday Hong Kong time. The expected time the typhoon would be closest to Hong Kong is between 1pm and 5pm Sunday.

Already 1200 flights have canceled. About 92K CX/KA passengers affected. Total affected passengers are close to 200K.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
I'd call AS and see if the partner desk will reach out to CX and ask for the release of either a J seat on your flight or a PE seat on another flight. A couple of weeks ago, I got notice that my wife's F flight HKG-LAX had been downgraded. AS reached out and got her on the later flight that has F. I'd also keep monitoring for release of a J seat.
just to report back. Cx check-in agent and lounge agent both said AS award ticket is not changable and refuse to change my seat to biz or first.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by pointsifu

just to report back. Cx check-in agent and lounge agent both said AS award ticket is not changable and refuse to change my seat to biz or first.
Correct. CX check in agents will only seat you in the class of service that the ticket is issued for. Even if you have a connecting itinerary which you have one segment in J and another in Y because J was not available... and the award claimed is for J the whole way, the ticket for each segment has you in J and Y. If J opens up then the only way to move into J is to have AS reissue the ticket. CX agents cannot do that as the ticket is not issued on CX stock, it is issued on AS stock. Which means you always have to get this changed before showing up at the airport.

DAK
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why would you still think CX would change an AS issued ticket?

You have been informed by James when he answered your question. If J or F opened up why would you followed James' explanation and called AS to reissue your ticket (and paid the additional taxes / fees / $125 change fee)?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30159498-post2657.html

Of course CX check in agent would not do the change - it is NOT a CX ticket but an AS ticket. Any change must be from AS.

CX only gets paid on exactly what the ticket said, down to the Exact Flight. If it is in Y, they get paid the Y cost. If sears opened up and you wanted to return to your award class, you NEED to contact AS to reissue your ticket. Without status it is $125 change fee so it depends on how long the flight is and whether it is worth the hassle to call and pay a fee - as keep in mind, AS could screw up in the reissue, if so, you would be in a pickle.

Last year we were ticketed in Fs HKG-LAX but 2 flights a few hours apart. The earlier fight my husband was on, he was the only passenger in F. CX CI agents suggested us to call AS to change my ticket to his flight. Upon consideration we decided to keep it as it was because we had connecting flights from LAX to SEA, and then SEA-SLC the next morning. I honestly did not have confidence on AS reticketing competence when there were 2 connecting flights followed, especially the LAX-SEA flight was full to the gill. So we kept the original schedules and flew on our own flights.

Sometimes you need to weigh on the situation to determine if a change is worth the trouble and cost, on a short intra Asia connection.
osotoc likes this.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 19, 2018 at 3:06 pm
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold

Pretty much what should be expected, since it isn’t a CX-issued ticket, but thanks for reporting back anyway. Shows that there’s still plenty of good advice to be found on Flyertalk, despite the occasional unfriendly responses.

The most I’ve ever seen CX do is permit access to the F lounge on a mixed F/J ticket (after a stopover > 24 hrs) because “it is a first class award”. But of course that has nothing to with the ticket.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

No. My suggestion is don’t search using Asia Miles and expect to find award space bookable by AS if you don’t see it in other search engines (BA, JL, QF).
In your knowledge, do BA, JL, QF see the same award space, or should one try, for example, JL if there is no available space to be seen on BA?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
One of the reasons CX might not do this is unlike LH and AF, you can get their F awards relatively easy out of random partner programs like AS.
Have folks had some luck getting F awards on CX with AS miles? I am seeing availability on the Asia Miles site, but not on BA.

ETA: QF shows the same availability as CX! ^
eponymous_coward likes this.

Last edited by knit-in; Sep 20, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by knit-in
Have folks had some luck getting F awards on CX with AS miles? I am seeing availability on the Asia Miles site, but not on BA.

ETA: QF shows the same availability as CX! ^
Have you tried calling AS? CX availability does not show online, you have to call in. You say you have checked Asia Miles, BA and QF but have you called AS?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: AC, AS, BA Silver/OW Sapphire, DL, SQ/*A Silver, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Hi all,
I have contacted AS today re CX award travel on the TLV-HKG route for this coming January 2019. I was told there is zero availability, and that means no seats in any class...

Would anyone know whether this is because I am way too late or perhaps CX is yet to avail the seats to AS? Should I wait and try again or is there anything I should know to make it work?

Originally, I meant to book a biz class ticket...
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Doors Closing
Hi all,
I have contacted AS today re CX award travel on the TLV-HKG route for this coming January 2019. I was told there is zero availability, and that means no seats in any class...

Would anyone know whether this is because I am way too late or perhaps CX is yet to avail the seats to AS? Should I wait and try again or is there anything I should know to make it work?

Originally, I meant to book a biz class ticket...
Did you check online using a site that does show Cathay Pacific availability?

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/searc...-availability/
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Have you tried calling AS? CX availability does not show online, you have to call in. You say you have checked Asia Miles, BA and QF but have you called AS?
If the award isn't showing on BA, I'm not sure what good calling AS would do.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by kapooncha
If the award isn't showing on BA, I'm not sure what good calling AS would do.
There have been one or two instances reported here of AS agents finding availability that isn't available to BA or QF. But it's very rare.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Why would you still think CX would change an AS issued ticket?

You have been informed by James when he answered your question. If J or F opened up why would you followed James' explanation and called AS to reissue your ticket (and paid the additional taxes / fees / $125 change fee)?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30159498-post2657.html

Of course CX check in agent would not do the change - it is NOT a CX ticket but an AS ticket. Any change must be from AS.

CX only gets paid on exactly what the ticket said, down to the Exact Flight. If it is in Y, they get paid the Y cost. If sears opened up and you wanted to return to your award class, you NEED to contact AS to reissue your ticket. Without status it is $125 change fee so it depends on how long the flight is and whether it is worth the hassle to call and pay a fee - as keep in mind, AS could screw up in the reissue, if so, you would be in a pickle.

Last year we were ticketed in Fs HKG-LAX but 2 flights a few hours apart. The earlier fight my husband was on, he was the only passenger in F. CX CI agents suggested us to call AS to change my ticket to his flight. Upon consideration we decided to keep it as it was because we had connecting flights from LAX to SEA, and then SEA-SLC the next morning. I honestly did not have confidence on AS reticketing competence when there were 2 connecting flights followed, especially the LAX-SEA flight was full to the gill. So we kept the original schedules and flew on our own flights.

Sometimes you need to weigh on the situation to determine if a change is worth the trouble and cost, on a short intra Asia connection.
It's okay. That's a relatively short flight so it doesn't matter too much. Also to add, I specifically asked AS before what would happen if F or J open up. The agent said there will be no change fee since the award has been issued in F, and just moving the cabin on the same flight.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Eh?

I was just asking what other people's experience was in getting F on CX. Do you have anything to say to that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.