Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Also, 1A and 1K are marked as preferred seats and CX will not normally assign them to non elite flyers so I was a bit surprised to be offered 1A as a non-elite flyer when calling to request seating recently. No other bookings in the cabin. I told the agent I wanted to assign a window seat and asked for 2A (since I know they will not normally put non status folks in 1A in advance) but the agent said, "you know 2A is a bassinet seat and you may have to move if it is needed later so how about I put you in 1A instead?" I said "sure" and she assigned me 1A.
I'm not sure if 1A is still limited to elites. I was able to select it for my (no status) wife on CX's site without any problem. In the past, this always required a call.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:11 pm

I don't think 1A is limited either because I was able to select it online for my flight from HKG - LAX.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:45 pm

Prior to Cathay's system upgrade, the only seat I could ever select online was 2D. Now, all but the bassinet seats seem to be available. 2A can be assigned via phone, but occasionally you might get an agent who won't cooperate. One HUCA generally works just fine. I see little risk in taking 2A. The way I look at it, in the unlikely event an infant requires seat 2A, I don't want to be in 1A anyway. At that point, I'd much prefer the right aisle--unless there's an infant in 2K
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA, AS
In my case CX would not allow me to assign any F window seat online. I had to call. This was within the last two months.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:30 am

Just as a quick data-point: I was able to easily book a JFK-HKG-SYD flight for mid-July next year in F/J, even though neither BA nor QF showed any availability on the HKG-SYD. (though AS as usual did not have all the flight options in F from JFK-HKG as displayed by QF)
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BeeNYC
Prior to Cathay's system upgrade, the only seat I could ever select online was 2D. Now, all but the bassinet seats seem to be available. 2A can be assigned via phone, but occasionally you might get an agent who won't cooperate. One HUCA generally works just fine. I see little risk in taking 2A. The way I look at it, in the unlikely event an infant requires seat 2A, I don't want to be in 1A anyway. At that point, I'd much prefer the right aisle--unless there's an infant in 2K
And what if you get bumped from 2A and 1A, 1K, 2A, and 2K are all taken? I guess enjoy your middle seat?
Mauibaby2008 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:48 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Originally Posted by richh1833
Is anyone a little bit concerned about the future of CX awards with MP given the situation with AM members themselves having a difficult time booking awards? Having had a look recently, from SYD-HKG and HKG-EU are all displaying no awards T-3 days.
I am concerned as well. I bought MP miles when there were lots of award availability from AU/NZ-HKG 11-12 months out and close in, say within 2 weeks of travel. I have not been able to find anything close in at all.

I am thinking that is why AS MP has put that 50% bonus offer to more people than they normally would have. MP is of little value to me without the CX premium awards as it is almost impossible to go AU/NZ-US with MP.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by Ellice
I am concerned as well. I bought MP miles when there were lots of award availability from AU/NZ-HKG 11-12 months out and close in, say within 2 weeks of travel. I have not been able to find anything close in at all.

I am thinking that is why AS MP has put that 50% bonus offer to more people than they normally would have. MP is of little value to me without the CX premium awards as it is almost impossible to go AU/NZ-US with MP.
just flew two DFW SYD QF F 70k miles each three days ago. Managed to get them both on the same flight last minute. Extreme luck I would say yes- impossible no.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 6:21 am
Formerly richh1833

Programs: QF P1, BA GGL, AS GMVP
Is it possible to book a married segment (JFK-HKG-SYD) and drop JFK-HKG to keep the HKG-SYD segment? Is this frowned upon by AS Agents? CX is getting pretty frustrating..
Old Aug 30, 2018, 6:47 am
Suspended

Is anyone a little bit concerned about the future of CX awards with MP given the situation with AM members themselves having a difficult time booking awards? Having had a look recently, from SYD-HKG and HKG-EU are all displaying no awards T-3 days.
I'll be trying to book an award for Sep 2019 pretty soon. If I can't find space trying to book a year out, I'll be concerned certainly.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 6:53 am
Formerly richh1833

Programs: QF P1, BA GGL, AS GMVP
Originally Posted by kapooncha
I'll be trying to book an award for Sep 2019 pretty soon. If I can't find space trying to book a year out, I'll be concerned certainly.
If you're looking to hkg-usa and v.v you'll be fine. Being in based on SYD, its killing me
Old Aug 30, 2018, 6:58 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
If you're looking to hkg-usa and v.v you'll be fine. Being in based on SYD, its killing me
SYD is fine if you redeem PE. Can you redeem PE with AS MP?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:02 am
Suspended

ORD-HKG has never been a problem for me. But I'm hoping for ORD-HKG-SYD this time.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by kapooncha
AS is currently only booking as far out as July 27th, so you still have at least a month to go before you can start booking for September 2019
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by percysmith

SYD is fine if you redeem PE. Can you redeem PE with AS MP?
Not on all partners but with CX, yes. AS can redeem for PE on CX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.