Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:57 pm
soy

Programs: various
Per VFTW blog, CX award issues are now partially fixed. No need to do married segment tricks for awards to/from US
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:49 pm

Discrepancies

Sat maybe 2 hours on the phone with a couple different AS representatives.

Booked: LAX-HKG-SGN, initial flight on July 27.

When the CS agent searches for the LAX-HKG segment separately, some F class seats go from 2->0, some go from 2->1. For example, I want to fly on CX883 or CX881 late at night, not on CX885 in the middle of the day. All CX883 disappeared when searching LAX-HKG on July 25th, 26th and 27th - this left only CX885 landing in the evening in HKG, and the corresponding late departure from HKG to SGN, CX721.

When the CS agent searches for all segments combined, the availability re-appears.

Actually - every other time I called the combined segment availability switched from 0 to 1/2 for CX 883.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:06 am

More reward space will become available on the new CX SEA-HKG flight
starts 2019-03-30
4x weekly on A350-900
departs SEA 1:05a
Brianblanco likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by CZBB
starts 2019-03-30
4x weekly on A350-900
Whaaaaaaaaaaaat
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
starts 2019-03-30
4x weekly on A350-900
Saw that, forgot to mention it here
Old Jul 19, 2018, 4:16 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by twoplustwomakefive
I'm planning for north america-HKG-australia in Sep 2019, I know it's too early to book but wanted to get flights in order and phone it in as soon as they become available. My question is whether flight schedules change dramatically - if I do my planning in Aug/Sep 2018, when the seats open for booking, will the timetables change enough to undo all of my planning? (All of this is notwithstanding the current issues with seeing availability)
In my experience, flight timetables don't change dramatically. However, it's quite common for CX to reduce capacity within several months in advance of the flight. Happened to me before -- CX cancelled my flight and I had to be re-booked into another flight.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: aadvantage
AS award nonsaver domestic

I'm trying to book J tickets (with AS miles) from phx-sea-hkg on the new CX route and AS phx-sea. I see plenty of availability on alaska phx-sea but not at saver availability, will I still be able to book the route at 50k even though the phx-sea portion says it costs 50k points?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ramosz83
I'm trying to book J tickets (with AS miles) from phx-sea-hkg on the new CX route and AS phx-sea. I see plenty of availability on alaska phx-sea but not at saver availability, will I still be able to book the route at 50k even though the phx-sea portion says it costs 50k points?
No. You will either be charged for two awards or you will fly the PHX-SEA segment in Y (assuming it is available at 12.5k or less).
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:22 pm

Tried booking SEA-HGK last night (SEA-HKG-BKK and return).. they said they can't book it yet. (Phone agent tried, took all the info and then called some other desk for a while .. she said it wasn't pricing.)

Something about that route isn't contracted yet?

Anybody able to book the new CX route yet?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Tried booking SEA-HGK last night (SEA-HKG-BKK and return).. they said they can't book it yet. (Phone agent tried, took all the info and then called some other desk for a while .. she said it wasn't pricing.)

Anybody able to book the new CX route yet?
Did you see anything on BA or QF websites? Usually new markets don't get loaded for partner award bookings right away
Old Jul 19, 2018, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
Did you see anything on BA or QF websites? Usually new markets don't get loaded for partner award bookings right away
Partner award space was available.

I thought I explained ... it was not an issue of award space not being available. They can't price it yet.

-David
Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: alaska
starts 2019-03-30
4x weekly on A350-900
Awesome. Great news that they are adding this flight(news to me) and that there will be award space!

No more having to go through YVR(Although I like YVR) or SFO.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by LIH Prem

Since they see the space but it is a matter of it not pricing can't they hold the space while they pass it to the appropriate department to be priced (rate desk?)?

Not exactly the same but similar, I had a JL award that did not price online and they put it on hold for up to 3 days IIRC while they worked on pricing it. Space was held in the interim. In that case there was already pricing information available but for some reason at the time they had to manually price it.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
We booked in January 2018 for December 2018, booked as soon as the AA window opened. The flight was cancelled on us couple of weeks ago, and because it is not a daily service, we were rebooked onto a flight that leaves two days sooner. So, yes schedules can change dramatically.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 1:29 am

Looking into booking business awards from Europe to south east asia (Malaysia) next summer. Only option is to break it into 2 awards? Europe to HKG (1st award 42500 CX) PLUS HKG to Malaysia (2nd award 22500 CX, 25000 JAL)? Hoping for some advice before we book. Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.