Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2018, 1:58 am

Hi -

CX does not fly to KL, Cathay Dragon does, which does not have any agreement in place with AS.

Not really practical to take JL from HKG-NRT-KUL.

I would redeem Europe-HKG and then buy a fare from HKG-KUL.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 7:57 am

I just released an F award seat for Monday, September 3 from HKG-LAX on CX884. Both BA and QF show the seat went back into Z in case anyone here needs it.
osotoc and jiaogulan like this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Robert
I just released an F award seat for Monday, September 3 from HKG-LAX on CX884. Both BA and QF show the seat went back into Z in case anyone here needs it.
Wish more people did this! Thanks.
osotoc likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:24 am

Thought I would share this for anyone sitting on Alaska miles and wanting to use for things like Cathay, Japan Airlines, etc.

I was always sort of downgrading things in my mind because my base (ATL) is only served to SEA year-round (and PDX seasonally), and I go to Asia a lot, and the only Alaska partner serving SEA at the moment is Hainan (until CX starts next year). I am not opposed to Hainan, but I prefer Cathay and Japan Airlines for direct-aisle access seats in business.

Anyways, I was speaking to an Alaska rep on the phone and she clarified that you can position to a partner gateway using multiple hops as long as you do not go backwards, and of course the positioning flights have award space. IE - out of ATL, I cannot fly to SEA, then fly SEA to JFK to catch the Cathay flight out of JFK. Not that I would really want to do this anyways due to bad timing, but maybe I would consider if I HAD to.

Bottom line, it seems like Alaska is very reasonable and can make some accommodations for people in my case where I am coming from a region without tons of Alaska/Virgin flights.

Not sure if this is common knowledge in these parts, but wanted to let anyone know that this might help.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jiaogulan
Not sure if this is common knowledge in these parts, but wanted to let anyone know that this might help.
You might be amazed at what you can do with partners that you can book online. Won't discuss that here though.

James
Tokyoite and rustykettel like this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Just dumped F award seat on CX 873 SFO-HKG, 4/27/19. Showed up as available immediately on KVS search. Have at it if you need it.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thought I would share this for anyone sitting on Alaska miles and wanting to use for things like Cathay, Japan Airlines, etc.

I was always sort of downgrading things in my mind because my base (ATL) is only served to SEA year-round (and PDX seasonally), and I go to Asia a lot, and the only Alaska partner serving SEA at the moment is Hainan (until CX starts next year). I am not opposed to Hainan, but I prefer Cathay and Japan Airlines for direct-aisle access seats in business.

Anyways, I was speaking to an Alaska rep on the phone and she clarified that you can position to a partner gateway using multiple hops as long as you do not go backwards, and of course the positioning flights have award space. IE - out of ATL, I cannot fly to SEA, then fly SEA to JFK to catch the Cathay flight out of JFK. Not that I would really want to do this anyways due to bad timing, but maybe I would consider if I HAD to.

Bottom line, it seems like Alaska is very reasonable and can make some accommodations for people in my case where I am coming from a region without tons of Alaska/Virgin flights.

Did the agent inform you that you can only have AS + 1 partner on an award?

i.e. you cannot fly AA to your international gateway then changes to CX and still be on one single award. Are you aware of this? Or the agent never bothers to explain this "minor" annoyance that has been the most complained about sore points among award redemption with AS miles?

If you are going to use CX or JL on your long haul, the needed hopping can only be on AS, unless there is new policy to lift this restriction has been put in effect. I doubt it very much though.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
You might be amazed at what you can do with partners that you can book online. Won't discuss that here though.

James
Indeed. I have found out that AS can display overnight connection i.e. Last flight in, First flight out on AA domestic flights while AA's own site could not. Not sure now AA has lengthened the domestic connection to 18 hours versus 4 hours before.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Did the agent inform you that you can only have AS + 1 partner on an award?

i.e. you cannot fly AA to your international gateway then changes to CX and still be on one single award. Are you aware of this? Or the agent never bothers to explain this "minor" annoyance that has been the most complained about sore points among award redemption with AS miles?

If you are going to use CX or JL on your long haul, the needed hopping can only be on AS, unless there is new policy to lift this restriction has been put in effect. I doubt it very much though.
No, she did not mention this. This was my assumption from day one though, I guess subconsciously from other airlines' programs. I guess there are exceptions though? It is why in my head I was originally limiting my only redemption from ATL to SEA as Hainan (positioning only on the "plan" airline). Glad I realized the multi-stop positioning thing though. It must get complicated for people living by small airports.

Thanks for the reminder, though.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, she did not mention this. This was my assumption from day one though, I guess subconsciously from other airlines' programs. I guess there are exceptions though? It is why in my head I was originally limiting my only redemption from ATL to SEA as Hainan (positioning only on the "plan" airline). Glad I realized the multi-stop positioning thing though. It must get complicated for people living by small airports.

Thanks for the reminder, though.

In your situation, you may want to spring up the positioning flights to get to the gateways, using other programs awards.

As bad as DL's reputation is, I am surprised by how many low cost domestic awards DL offers while AA has extremely poor showing.
I even found a FLL-XXX-SEA oneway at 9K a few weeks ago when I randomly looked at things.
It is actually good to connect versus the direct flight occasionally found because it is really a very long flight in coach. Having a connection allows us to stretch our legs, visit a lounge and have some needed rest.
The key points though, is the availability and the low cost versus 12.5K on AA or UA program, not to mention the nonexisting AS saver space.
Being based in ATL, you may be able to find more similar gems and use that for your positioning flights, such as ATL-JFK and then take the CX flight out from JFK, just an example.
Once you get over the notion that you must use the same award for the whole trip, you open up a lot more options.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
In your situation, you may want to spring up the positioning flights to get to the gateways, using other programs awards.

As bad as DL's reputation is, I am surprised by how many low cost domestic awards DL offers while AA has extremely poor showing.
I even found a FLL-XXX-SEA oneway at 9K a few weeks ago when I randomly looked at things.
It is actually good to connect versus the direct flight occasionally found because it is really a very long flight in coach. Having a connection allows us to stretch our legs, visit a lounge and have some needed rest.
The key points though, is the availability and the low cost versus 12.5K on AA or UA program, not to mention the nonexisting AS saver space.
Being based in ATL, you may be able to find more similar gems and use that for your positioning flights, such as ATL-JFK and then take the CX flight out from JFK, just an example.
Once you get over the notion that you must use the same award for the whole trip, you open up a lot more options.
Yup, indeed. I'll report back once I burn up my AS miles and share how positioning worked if it is anything noteworthy.

The JAL flight from DFW-NRT is a favorite, but the AA saver from ATL-DFW snubs it sometimes. A good work around is searching JAL BOS-NRT availability as well, and then I can fly from ATL-BOS on JetBlue or Delta separate if I have to. Can you tell I like my transpacific on the 787 haha.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:13 pm

update: Was finally able to book CX SEA-HKG and return flights yesterday, (changing another itinerary out of LAX), however e-ticket is still not valid on Cathay after 24 hours. Reservation is there, it says not ticketed on CX.

WIll check again and try to get ticket issues fixed with CX and AS tomorrow.

Anyway, it seems like the new SEA - HKG flight is now bookable via AS.

-David
eponymous_coward likes this.

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jul 22, 2018 at 9:21 pm
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: Alaska, United, American, Singapore
We are Scheduled to fly out of Lax first week of January to HKG for a day and then onto AKL. Question for you all, I'd love to fly out of JFK to get a longer flight and enjoy those first class seats! Availability doesn't seem to be a problem with either one of the airports within 2 weeks of departure but do you think we are more prone to delays in January at JFK for any kind of weather disturbance?

We have a day layover but I'd rather not waste it with delays in getting out! Thanks for the help
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by anthonyparkersd
We are Scheduled to fly out of Lax first week of January to HKG for a day and then onto AKL. Question for you all, I'd love to fly out of JFK to get a longer flight and enjoy those first class seats! Availability doesn't seem to be a problem with either one of the airports within 2 weeks of departure but do you think we are more prone to delays in January at JFK for any kind of weather disturbance?

We have a day layover but I'd rather not waste it with delays in getting out! Thanks for the help
There is most certainly a great likelihood of snow at JFK compared to LAX in January. That said, it's impossible to predict whether or not you'd have any delays or cancellations associated. If there's a gigantic winter storm impacting the entire East Coast, you'll obviously be impacted more so at JFK than you would be at LAX, but no way to know that now. If it were me, I'd stick with LAX, but depends on how much risk you want to take to get more time in the seats. :P
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by anthonyparkersd

Can I ask how availability was like for the HKG-AKL flight since they only have 1 daily? I'm planning to do the same as you but out of SFO next fall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.