Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Have you got the chase cars set up as well?
Leaving from Manhattan, so no need.

That said, had heart palpitations driving family to JFK last week. Got an ECAM warning that we were out of coolant and should immediately stop the car. My first thought was that I had no chase car, so stopping would have proven catastrophic. I chose to ignore the ECAM and had the PNF (my wife) run some tests...lo and behold the ECAM cleared so we continued on. But my god, for a second there I could barely breathe.

Interestingly, JFK T1 now has a VIP ONE security entrance under the escalators to the food court, completely separate from Premium and Precheck security lanes, which JL F pax are welcome to use. I don't know what other T1 airlines participate.

Jamie
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Just some data-points:

Looking for JFK-HKG in F in January:
QF/BA both showed 3 different flights with F on a single day (no J on any); AS doesn't have see availability

Returning HKG-JFK:
1x flight with F showing, AS sees it and can book it.

I've learned to take the QF/BA tools for what they're worth: It helps you determine what days don't have availability, but those that do is a crapshoot.
jaycoh22 and LieFlatorDeath like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP, IHG
CX award routing

Hey, looking for some Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Partner Award expertise. I'm looking at trying to fly CX back from MNL in December in First. Unfortunately, there is no First award availability to LAX, SFO, and YVR over the dates I'm interested in. However, there is availability in First to BOS and JFK, although they are much farther away from my final destination (FAI). I'm wondering if Alaska Airlines' system would allow me to fly MNL-HKG-BOS/JFK-SEA-FAI. Thanks in advance
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: QF, PR, SQ
Another data point.

Another data point:

QF sees CX F availability mid September 2018 LHR-HKG. Call AS, they can't see it. Ended up booking with QF points.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 6:10 am

Use JAL for CX award space. Matches 1 for 1 with AS. QF/BA shows phantom space.
LieFlatorDeath likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by downtheback.
I don't think that's accurate. The date I'm looking for shows 3 CX F on JAL, but AS sees none of it. The same space also shows on QF/BA.
LieFlatorDeath likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by downtheback.
Not entirely accurate. I think what the poster is running into is Point of Sale (POS). CX implements POS controls on their inventory... so what they make available for sale in one country is not the same as in another country. This seem to be especially the case for Europe to/from HKG awards. Most airlines use their home country as POS so for AS that would logically be the USA. And BA would logically use the UK. Now sometimes if you call a reservations center in another country they will use their location as POS, this generally works for revenue tickets but not always for awards which seem to default to home country of the airline.

JAL do take into account your location for awards. When you register for a JAL Mileage Bank account you do so in the region that you live. If you registered in the UK and try and login to the JAL website for Japan or USA it will tell you that you account is not valid in that region and switch you to your home region. When you search for awards on JAL website it does use the POS of the region you live in. I have two JAL Mileage Bank accounts, one registered in the USA and one in the UK. If I search for awards at JAL from e.g. LHR-HKG I will sometimes see different results... CX are making more award inventory available for sale in the UK for LHR/HKG flight than they are making available in the USA.

I believe that this is the main reason we see availability on BA/QF/JL that neither AS or AA are able to book.

DAK
Happy and LieFlatorDeath like this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by dkerr
JAL do take into account your location for awards. When you register for a JAL Mileage Bank account you do so in the region that you live. If you registered in the UK and try and login to the JAL website for Japan or USA it will tell you that you account is not valid in that region and switch you to your home region. When you search for awards on JAL website it does use the POS of the region you live in. I have two JAL Mileage Bank accounts, one registered in the USA and one in the UK. If I search for awards at JAL from e.g. LHR-HKG I will sometimes see different results... CX are making more award inventory available for sale in the UK for LHR/HKG flight than they are making available in the USA.

I believe that this is the main reason we see availability on BA/QF/JL that neither AS or AA are able to book.

DAK
While you're definitely correct regarding POS availability, I'm not sure it correlates to what space AS can see. I also have two JAL accounts (one in USA, and one in Japan), and on my USA account I see loads of CX space that AS can't see. This should eliminate the POS issue, but everything I'm looking at shows that JL/QF/BA are equal for space, and AS is still some hidden subset.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
While you're definitely correct regarding POS availability, I'm not sure it correlates to what space AS can see. I also have two JAL accounts (one in USA, and one in Japan), and on my USA account I see loads of CX space that AS can't see. This should eliminate the POS issue, but everything I'm looking at shows that JL/QF/BA are equal for space, and AS is still some hidden subset.
Yes, there must be something else going on. Seems to be a persistent problem.

DAK
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:20 am

Hi -

What is going on is OW saver availability vs non-OW saver availability.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Does anyone have advice on booking a routing like YYZ-HKG-LHR in J/F (either mixed or all J since there's no F from YYZ)? The issue I'm trying to resolve is the fact that ideally I would book YYZ-HKG 330 days out right when it's made available, but if I'd like to spend two weeks in HKG, then the corresponding flight from HKG-LHR won't be made available for two more weeks. Is AS able to modify a booking from YYZ-HKG to be YYZ-HKG-LHR so long as there's HKG-LHR space, even if there may not be any more space left on YYZ-HKG? If not, what would be the best approach here?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Does anyone have advice on booking a routing like YYZ-HKG-LHR in J/F (either mixed or all J since there's no F from YYZ)? The issue I'm trying to resolve is the fact that ideally I would book YYZ-HKG 330 days out right when it's made available, but if I'd like to spend two weeks in HKG, then the corresponding flight from HKG-LHR won't be made available for two more weeks. Is AS able to modify a booking from YYZ-HKG to be YYZ-HKG-LHR so long as there's HKG-LHR space, even if there may not be any more space left on YYZ-HKG? If not, what would be the best approach here?
It is TWO awards. Book your YYZ-HKG award now and then book HKG-LHR award when they become available for booking. There are no North America to Europe awards on CX.

James
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
It is TWO awards. Book your YYZ-HKG award now and then book HKG-LHR award when they become available for booking. There are no North America to Europe awards on CX.

James
Also, scroll back a bit, there are complaints that generally there's very little J/F to Europe on CX for USA point of sale (aka AS awards). I wouldn't count on HKG-LHR. If you can find HKG-Europe, take it and fly an LCC or blow a smallish amount of Avios for London.
Happy likes this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Aug 6, 2018 at 1:59 pm
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:58 am

I was not able to find the answers by searching. Could anyone tell how to select CX seat for AS award redemption? I was able to go into my book management page and see the flights I am taking but seat selection is not available.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by lincoln boy
I was not able to find the answers by searching. Could anyone tell how to select CX seat for AS award redemption? I was able to go into my book management page and see the flights I am taking but seat selection is not available.
you need to call alaska to book CX awards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.