Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:01 am

DATA POINT:

Unless I am missing something, HKG-BKK and vice versa on CX in J (or even C), which was once ubiquitously available both close in and farther out, is now completely gone.

Nothing, zilch, zip, nada.

Searching via both BA & Qantas.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
The usual success for me. Quite a lot of flights with 1 F space according to BA site JFK-HKG & BOS-HKG week of 5/20/19. I called and booked no problem. On my date two different flights had 1 seat and agent saw both flights. I decided to fly out of JFK instead of Boston for a more premium experience and more reasonable timing.

Though one mistake on the agents part (said she hadn't booked one yet) i was charged for the $15 phone booking fee so I'll have to call to get that refunded.

Last edited by CDKing; Jun 27, 2018 at 10:55 am
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steveholt
I don't think most of this is accurate. I had no trouble finding leg-by-leg availability for many CX flights on BA's site in the past that isn't there anymore unless I search for married segments. The J and F availability is also WAY down versus what we saw two weeks ago.
Take whatever you want to believe. The Married Segment availability has been discussed here and on AA related thread since last year. Because AA can perform a "drop segment" after ticketing, hence the married segment trick has been discussed much more frequently on the AA side as people have found out the married segment search unearth quite a bit more availability.

As for availability deteriorated, again, it started from 9 months ago and getting worse and worse, long before the actual restructuring of Asia Miles. In fact due to the deterioration was so bad since beginning of this year, about 3 weeks ago a friend and I were discussing whether we should continue to send miles to AS program or not, given we both still have quite a healthy balance that would cover the needs in 2019 and beyond. We decided to wait after June 22nd to see what the new reality might be. What we saw just confirmed what we had been feared for. Can't say we have not foreseen this but it still makes me fell sad seeing what happened.

Most people here only focus on the US-HKG longhaul routes, but the availability has been reduced on all routes, especially the once extremely reliable EU-HKG routes which were the most favorable routes to us as it was great to construct a RTW trip and often not much competition. Said routes have not seen anything available for the past few months.
The other routes are the shuttle flights routes to/from HKG such as the HKG-BKK/SIN, or HKG-TPE. These routes used can be booked on the day of departure and still have plenty of options.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K
Do within Asia awards open up close in like North America -> HKG? Just booked YVRHKG for Friday and need to get to BKK but no availability as of yet.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Brianblanco
Do within Asia awards open up close in like North America -> HKG? Just booked YVRHKG for Friday and need to get to BKK but no availability as of yet.
I see CX HKG-BKK July 1st available:
CX701 1F 15:55-17:50
CX709 1J 22:25-00:15

Also HKG-SIN-BKK CX759/CX712 J June 30th but probably too early to connect from YVR inbound.

James
Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

Also HKG-SIN-BKK CX759/CX712 J June 30th but probably too early to connect from YVR inbound.

James
Thanks James - I’m trying to get out of HKG to BKK June 30 evening on a direct. My inbound from YVR arrives around 7pm. I’m already booked on one that goes out 7/1. Trying to move my trip up by 12 hours if I can. First world problems, I know :-) I might just buy AirAsia for couple hundred.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Brianblanco

Thanks James - I’m trying to get out of HKG to BKK June 30 evening on a direct. My inbound from YVR arrives around 7pm. I’m already booked on one that goes out 7/1. Trying to move my trip up by 12 hours if I can. First world problems, I know :-) I might just buy AirAsia for couple hundred.
Looks like your only Cathay Pacific option would be the last flight of the day CX617 9:35-11:30 PM to connect from inbound. The other 7 flights will have already departed. 😁 Good luck & safe travels.

It looks like your options are limited on other airlines for non-stop to BKK on June 30th that are late enough to connect to.

Honk Kong Airlines 10:45-12:45 am $309 CAD
Royal Joridian 9:35-11:25 $332 CAD or Emirates 9:50-11:45 $375 CAD. Couple of others too expensive.

James
tobikosan and Brianblanco like this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

James
Yes, as of today I am now seeing these awards available again on ba.com (HKG-BKK) with perhaps a little bit less space than before. *sigh of relief*
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
This has always been the case in my experience. But the opposite exists as well, where AS sees CX availability when BA/QF does not.
Well that's unfortunate.

(It also doesn't map to my non-recent experience, but it's not recent so shrug)
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: AC, AS, BA Silver/OW Sapphire, DL, SQ/*A Silver, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
I was looking into alaskaair.com for CX biz class from both TLV and YYZ this winter one-way. The TLV shows absolutely no availability in the first Q of 2019, could it be it is a relatively new destination or should I actually call AS?
As per the YYZ routing, it does show flights yet none in the attractive 50k miles, would that also merit a call to AS?

Sorry if I missed a possible answer in the 161 pages above...I am actually trying to get to MNL, would that be possible on a single o/w to/from either TLV/YYZ?

Would appreciate any insight...
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Doors Closing
I was looking into alaskaair.com for CX biz class from both TLV and YYZ this winter one-way. The TLV shows absolutely no availability in the first Q of 2019, could it be it is a relatively new destination or should I actually call AS?
As per the YYZ routing, it does show flights yet none in the attractive 50k miles, would that also merit a call to AS?

Sorry if I missed a possible answer in the 161 pages above...I am actually trying to get to MNL, would that be possible on a single o/w to/from either TLV/YYZ?

Would appreciate any insight...
Alaska.com does not show CX availability. You need to call to book using AS miles. All routings.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Doors Closing
You missed answers in the wiki that is reprinted on every one of those 161 pages, including this one:

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com
The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones.
TLV-HKG-MNL is two awards (not intra-Asia and not North America- you will pay for a ME-HKG award for TLV-HKG and an intra-Asia award HKG-MNL. FWIW AS miles would be very bad value compared to distance-based Avios for the HKG-MNL segment). YYZ-HKG-MNL is one (North American award).
Old Jun 28, 2018, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
The usual success for me. Quite a lot of flights with 1 F space according to BA site JFK-HKG & BOS-HKG week of 5/20/19. I called and booked no problem. On my date two different flights had 1 seat and agent saw both flights. I decided to fly out of JFK instead of Boston for a more premium experience and more reasonable timing.

Though one mistake on the agents part (said she hadn't booked one yet) i was charged for the $15 phone booking fee so I'll have to call to get that refunded.
Called in again now that my connecting flight is available. Was able to get the 1 J seat HKG-SYD that came up on BA. Rep also refunded the $15 fee that was charged in error.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:35 pm

Do 2 F ever open up, or is J the best we can hope for?
We can book up to 330 days as we have a pretty good idea of when we want to go.

Would prefer from YVR, but can make ourselves in any west coast city.

Thanks.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
I haven’t seen more than 1 F per flight recently. I just took 1 F and 1J (wife in F and me in the mini cabin 2 rows behind) from hkg to lax next April.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.