Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
SEA-YVR-JFK on CX cannot be booked on one award on AS.
This one as you state is pretty clear. There is no Continental US to Continental US award chart for CX. Its specifically listed on Canada to/from Continental US as YVR to JFK on Cathay

Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jamienbaker

What does “associated” mean? Is this a middle name issue, or does your ticket reflect somebody else’s name entirely?
it was someone else’s name entirely. On the AS system they could see my name associated with the ticket, but CX had a completely different name. They found a separate PNR associated with the same ticket number as my ticket number. I spent about an hour on the phone with AS, but didn’t get it resolved on the ground. Ultimately I was allowed to board the CX flight SGN - HKG without a valid ticket (checked in and had boarding pass). When I arrived at HKG, I went to over to the ticketing desk and my ticket had been exchanged for a new one in my name.

Not sure what happened in the end, but feel like it could have been similar to the Air China/UA issues a few years ago where e-tickets were being “stolen”. I have a general feeling of suspicion about the whole encounter.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
This one as you state is pretty clear. There is no Continental US to Continental US award chart for CX. Its specifically listed on Canada to/from Continental US as YVR to JFK on Cathay
I completely agree with that, just not the other point that has been asked a gazillion + 1 times. Who would want to burn 35K for a sub six-hour flight in CX F from YVR-JFK even if you could connect SEA-YVR when 70K will get you YVR-SEA-JFK-(CX F)HKG-(CX J)SIN/DXB/JNB etc? I don't redeem for award flights within the AS Network. That is what GGU's & Companion Cetificates are for. Sit up front while reducing CPM on EQM.

James
Old Jun 14, 2018, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Who would want to burn 35K for a sub six-hour flight in CX F from YVR-JFK even if you could connect SEA-YVR when 70K will get you YVR-SEA-JFK-(CX F)HKG-(CX J)SIN/DXB/JNB etc? I don't redeem for award flights within the AS Network. That is what GGU's & Companion Cetificates are for. Sit up front while reducing CPM on EQM.

James
I'm the guy who spent 50K Avios for JFK-YVR over 35K AS
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:30 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I completely agree with that, just not the other point that has been asked a gazillion + 1 times. Who would want to burn 35K for a sub six-hour flight in CX F from YVR-JFK even if you could connect SEA-YVR when 70K will get you YVR-SEA-JFK-(CX F)HKG-(CX J)SIN/DXB/JNB etc? I don't redeem for award flights within the AS Network. That is what GGU's & Companion Cetificates are for. Sit up front while reducing CPM on EQM.

James
I actually would “burn” 35K for a sub six-hour flight in CX F from JFK-YVR. Done it before and wouldn’t mind doing it again. Not everybody is using miles to go to Asia. A West Coast to Europe award in F is 70K-85K and under 11 hours flying. If flight time pe mile is the measure you using , CX JFK YVR F is not overpriced.
jamienbaker and BeeNYC like this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
I'm the guy who spent 50K Avios for JFK-YVR over 35K AS
I value my avios at about half as much as I do my AS so you’re good in my book
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

James
Why would you “fly for fun”? Why would you order the steak the way you do, it’s obvious ordering it MY way is better?

I’ve redeemed for CX F on JFK-YVR, as well as AS miles to PVR and from MEX for a winter vacation later this year. I don’t regret it. They are my miles, not yours. I also don’t have the income or time to choose to fly anywhere near enough to make 75K AND redeem significant numbers of miles (I fly much lower numbers and am happy with it). For my winter vacation I would have a choice of not paying Xmastime expensive coach fares and staying home in the dark and inside of a budget, or being on a sunny beach in Mexico (or exploring one of the oldest cities on this continent during mild and sunny weather), at low expense. I don’t see that I have chosen wrongly, even if I won’t be drinking Krug on the way to Johannesburg. I don’t think people who redeem for JFK-YVR are choosing wrong either. In the end we’re arguing over something very trivial, and we’re all pretty lucky to have the luxury of #firstworldproblems , like not optimizing the amount of time we can drink Krug.

Happy, osotoc, BeeNYC and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008

I value my avios at about half as much as I do my AS so you’re good in my book
It was when Avios announced going revenue based. not sure if they still are but been sitting on 112K Avios for a few years so figured I should spend some.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
I did that once with four pax. YYZ-JFK-YYZ paid economy on separate ticket and JFK-YVR-JFK in CX F (well 2F and 2J) using Avios.

Great redemption but pain in the butt to connect via JFK so don’t think I will do it again.

CX F hardware is great, but really don’t like their food nor service. I happen to love Chinese food but CX food in F (maybe just for JFK-YVR) was so underwhelming I barely ate.

Would not redeem CX F for long haul. For a bit more I’d go for JAL F over CX using AS every single time.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

James
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
I did that once with four pax. YYZ-JFK-YYZ paid economy on separate ticket and JFK-YVR-JFK in CX F (well 2F and 2J) using Avios.

Great redemption but pain in the butt to connect via JFK so don’t think I will do it again.

CX F hardware is great, but really don’t like their food nor service. I happen to love Chinese food but CX food in F (maybe just for JFK-YVR) was so underwhelming I barely ate.

Would not redeem CX F for long haul. For a bit more I’d go for JAL F over CX using AS every single time.
CX F is an overrated (and outdated) product. It is still one of the most comfortable beds in the sky but everything else it is very subpar especially the foods. Services are total hit or miss, more miss the past couple years but I cannot blame the crews too much because they really dont get any support from the management.

As for the "who would redeem X miles for whatever itinerary", well, each person has different travel preference and needs. Just like so many here are so fond on going to Bali or SE Asia for that matter, we could not care less. On our last year's trip to South Africa, instead of using AS miles to go thru HKG, we rather used AA miles on QR going thru DOH, despite QR still flew its ancient 777 2-2-2 (very spacious and comfortable seats by the way, and had great foods great services), for MIA-DOH-CPT and paid more AA miles instead. On the inbound we did use CX with stopover at HKG solely because we still have friends and families in that part of the world, and the free stopover with AS miles is nice and convenient.

The saddest disappearing of award seats I see is the used to be relatively to get (much less competition) of the EU-HKG routes - availability has completely dried up. This greatly reduces the usefulness of AS miles in our book.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes

While I agree CX food sucks but if flying to south Asia (HKG/SIN/BKK etc) on JL F, you 're paying F price (higher 75K vs 70K) and also sitting in J from TYO to HKG/SIN/BKK.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by seawolf
While I agree CX food sucks but if flying to south Asia (HKG/SIN/BKK etc) on JL F, you 're paying F price (higher 75K vs 70K) and also sitting in J from TYO to HKG/SIN/BKK.
Just like you are sitting in CX J beyond HKG.

James
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
True, but an increasing number of JL interport flights have a real J product, as opposed to regional J on CX. My wife is currently booked JFKHKG in F, HKGSIN in J. But I’m specifically trying to do what you oppose - spend more to route JFKNRT in F, and NRTSIN in a layflat J seat. Food is one of the reasons, too.

Just saying why your post is accurate, there are some of us that do prefer JL over CX, even though it technically reduces the amount of time in F.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamienbaker

True, but an increasing number of JL interport flights have a real J product, as opposed to regional J on CX. My wife is currently booked JFKHKG in F, HKGSIN in J. But I’m specifically trying to do what you oppose - spend more to route JFKNRT in F, and NRTSIN in a layflat J seat. Food is one of the reasons, too.

Just saying why your post is accurate, there are some of us that do prefer JL over CX, even though it technically reduces the amount of time in F.
I just cant book JL no matter how much I want to try (I did ANA F cubicle a few times). Way too many reports of the heat on board. CX cabin was comfortable.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
JL Cabin Temp

I just cant book JL no matter how much I want to try (I did ANA F cubicle a few times). Way too many reports of the heat on board. CX cabin was comfortable.
I've flown JL only once recently but the cabin temp was fine. I was surprised after all the complaints.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.