Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2017, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
I have to get back to America. I'm in Hong Kong now. There were literally 2 F seats that the agent on the award AS desk found on the HKG-ORD on 11,13,14, HKG-SFO, 13 and 15, HKG-JFK 11 and 12. Patience and waiting it out is the name of the game folks.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you can fly last minute chances are you would be able to find something.

We flew HKG-LAX on Sept 6. While our bookings were made some 8 months ago and I did not see additional F released before we left home on Aug 11, on actual flights, husband was the only passenger on the 12:55 departure, and I was one out of three passengers on the 4:35 departure. The young man and woman did not look like revenue passengers to me at all. So both flights only had redemption tickets.

CX would be better off to get some money from partners than flying an empty F cabin on a 4 class plane, especially they have a record loss the most recent quarter.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Edgerfly
I have to get back to America. I'm in Hong Kong now. There were literally 2 F seats that the agent on the award AS desk found on the HKG-ORD on 11,13,14, HKG-SFO, 13 and 15, HKG-JFK 11 and 12. Patience and waiting it out is the name of the game folks.
Thanks thats great to know i wasnt sure if AS would have last minute availability either. I dont mind waiting till last minute especially to come back. This is great news for me
Old Sep 9, 2017, 1:23 am

For those that obtained award seats within the 60 day window, did you book first then pay the change fee or did you simply risk not having a seat and go without until availability opened?
Old Sep 9, 2017, 3:22 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Happy
If you can fly last minute chances are you would be able to find something.

We flew HKG-LAX on Sept 6. While our bookings were made some 8 months ago and I did not see additional F released before we left home on Aug 11, on actual flights, husband was the only passenger on the 12:55 departure, and I was one out of three passengers on the 4:35 departure. The young man and woman did not look like revenue passengers to me at all. So both flights only had redemption tickets.

CX would be better off to get some money from partners than flying an empty F cabin on a 4 class plane, especially they have a record loss the most recent quarter.
Why would you think that the young man and woman were not revenue passengers?
markprice22, G-CIVC and mbfanos like this.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by op487062
For those that obtained award seats within the 60 day window, did you book first then pay the change fee or did you simply risk not having a seat and go without until availability opened?
I have done this flight about 12 times but in past always with AA miles. I always knew as long as i wasnt fussy about my return city i would be able to get a seat with no problem but im willing to fly to JFK, ORD, BOS, SFO, LAX
As i live in Florida and need to pay for a flight home from gateway city anyway
Old Sep 10, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
didnt know the 12.5 partner fee is still charged for MVP gold 75k.

anyways.
tried to book
BKK - HKG in J (stop) JFK in F.

the system cant price as one award, was told because they are different cabin, and it is priced as add on.

so book on a later flight with F space
now BKK - HKG JFK (22 hrs connection). price out at 70k.

oh well.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456

anyways.
tried to book

the system cant price as one award, was told because they are different cabin, and it is priced as add on.

oh well.
That does not sound right. I had a flight back in April JFK-HKG-SIN and back. JFK segments booked in F both ways, SIN segment J both ways. Priced out as single 70K award each way. You can certainly mix cabins on one award and it will price out as if higher cabin all way (but ticket will say J not F, so cannot "upgrade" without re-ticketing).

DAK
Old Sep 10, 2017, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

anyways.
tried to book

oh well.
Bull. HUCA if they pull that trash. I've booked BKK-HKG(stop)-AFO/LAX at 70k, J on the short segment, single award. The AS agent was doing it wrong.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
$12.50 each way is for everyone. What is waived is the $25 phone fee. The rest is bad agent. Call and try again.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: JL JGP (OWE), NH SFC (*G), Mariott Titanium
Originally Posted by kerufin
Trying to book JFK-HKG-(stopover)-HND in F next May. The dates I am looking at all show 1 F seat in BA, JL and QF. Called Alaska a few times on JFK-HKG but they see nothing there.

Today I asked for HKG-HND for the first time and the agent was able to locate the F even though she still can't see the JFK-HKG F. Anyway have the HKG-HND leg ticketed and we'll see if they can see the JFK-HKG leg eventually
Called today and added CX841 (JFK-HKG) F to the previously booked HKG-HND flight. CX845 and CX831 are also available from the JL tool on the same day but again AS agent couldn't see it.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: Delta, Alaska Air, & BA
hs

Originally Posted by flguy
I have done this flight about 12 times but in past always with AA miles. I always knew as long as i wasnt fussy about my return city i would be able to get a seat with no problem but im willing to fly to JFK, ORD, BOS, SFO, LAX
As i live in Florida and need to pay for a flight home from gateway city anyway
I'm the same way LAX, SFO, ORD,BOS,JFK makes no difference to me.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by flguy
been trying to book BOS HKG in F, I see avail on BA.com for a week
AS agents tell me all they see is coach avail
will AS ever show availably?
was looking at 3 dates in Nov, I'm sitting on 220,000 AS miles that I only use for CX awards
any suggestions please
Thanks
Same here. It's so frustrating!!
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Another Data Point: BA showed 3 J seats LAX-HKG (CX897) and 2 J Seats HKG-SUB (CX779). I called AS and had no issues with booking 2 J seats on CX897, but they only saw one J seat on CX779. Ended up flying into CGK instead. Very good agent, the whole call took less than 10 minutes.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:42 pm

Hi All ,
I already had 4 one way ticket in J in Dec . BKK-HKG-SFO waiting 8hrs in HKG . Now can I add 1 more leg SFO- ANC next July ? . Thank you for your input .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.