Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Just a friendly reminder, YYZ route is one of the hardest for redemption availability across the whole network.
Do you know if they release more every month or something like that in Y? Should I keep checking?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:32 am

Looking at doing my first CX redemption with AS Miles. Being based in YYZ - if I wanted to do a F redemption and YYZ CX flights do not have any F. Would my redemption help cover partner flights to a location where CX F exists ie YVR or JFK? Or am i completely on my own for that?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by sxc234
Would my redemption help cover partner flights to a location where CX F exists ie YVR or JFK? Or am i completely on my own for that?
You can't combine multiple partners on an AS award. So, since you can't get to YYZ on AS metal, you're on your own.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Looking at doing my first CX redemption with AS Miles. Being based in YYZ - if I wanted to do a F redemption and YYZ CX flights do not have any F. Would my redemption help cover partner flights to a location where CX F exists ie YVR or JFK? Or am i completely on my own for that?
From the wiki at the top of the thread:

Cathay and Alaska are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by jinglish
You can't combine multiple partners on an AS award. So, since you can't get to YYZ on AS metal, you're on your own.
Coincidentally back when YYZ had F, I had to book my own tickets to BOS/YYZ. Though now BOS has CX. It has F as well so not limited to JFK from east coast. Might be just as easy to get to ORD from YYZ.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
Coincidentally back when YYZ had F, I had to book my own tickets to BOS/YYZ. Though now BOS has CX. It has F as well so not limited to JFK from east coast. Might be just as easy to get to ORD from YYZ.
Thanks i don't know why i didn't consider ORD - now i have to ask myself is flying F worth the hassle over J. Of course award space is also going to be a major factor.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Thanks i don't know why i didn't consider ORD - now i have to ask myself is flying F worth the hassle over J. Of course award space is also going to be a major factor.
If you're thinking of flying out of YYZ:

Just a friendly reminder, YYZ route is one of the hardest for redemption availability across the whole network.
So you're looking at hassle in getting to your Cathay gateway anyway. IMO I'd probably look at SFO/LAX/JFK for the CX flight and (assuming your travel date is far out enough in 2018) you may be able to add a current VX route from JFK/ORD/WAS later once AS completes the acquisition and all VX flights are AS flights, so don't buy your positioning flight right away. Your best chance is going to be in cities with multiple CX frequencies, likely.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
If you're thinking of flying out of YYZ:

So you're looking at hassle in getting to your Cathay gateway anyway. IMO I'd probably look at SFO/LAX/JFK for the CX flight and (assuming your travel date is far out enough in 2018) you may be able to add a current VX route from JFK/ORD/WAS later once AS completes the acquisition and all VX flights are AS flights, so don't buy your positioning flight right away. Your best chance is going to be in cities with multiple CX frequencies, likely.
2 things though. i thought i can't combine carriers on an AS award and VX doesn't have routes to YYZ.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
2 things though. i thought i can't combine carriers on an AS award and VX doesn't have routes to YYZ.
Alaska does serve JFK, EWR, BOS, BWI, PHL, IAH, DCA, DTW, ORD, MKE, IND on Alaska metal from the mid-west to the East Coast. These may be easy to reposition to from YYZ and will get you to a West Coast gateway including YVR.

I would recomment finding and securing your CX flights first. Alaska flights to the gateway can be added later.

Until AS and VX are running together under one operating certificate they are tecnically partners. Once they are operating as one, more options should be abaiable.

Cheers
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM; Hyatt Explorist; MR Gold; HH Diamond
Can I book the transpacific segment segment first and then add the connecting segment at a later point without the risk of losing transpacific segment? Thanks!
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:07 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
I'm currently in HKG. Flew in on an F award using AS miles and supposed to continue to SYD tomorrow. All one award just with a stopover in Hong Kong. Got a text message this morning from Cathay saying, "Typhoon Hato approaching HK and your flight will be impacted. You can use our ticket waiver to change your travel plan to avoid disruption."

I called Cathay but because the ticket is owned by Alaska, they can't change anything. Called alaska and they said because I already completed the first leg, they can't change anything. Not sure what I should do because both parties have told me to contact the other.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
I'm currently in HKG. Flew in on an F award using AS miles and supposed to continue to SYD tomorrow. All one award just with a stopover in Hong Kong. Got a text message this morning from Cathay saying, "Typhoon Hato approaching HK and your flight will be impacted. You can use our ticket waiver to change your travel plan to avoid disruption."

I called Cathay but because the ticket is owned by Alaska, they can't change anything. Called alaska and they said because I already completed the first leg, they can't change anything. Not sure what I should do because both parties have told me to contact the other.
A known downside of alliance/partner bookings. Same happened to me, CX issued a travel waiver for a storm but BA did not (ticketed on BA) so I couldn't do a thing. If/when your CX flight actually CANCELS, CX will hopefully work to put you on another flight. Until then, SOL.

Regrets, Jamie
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:35 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
A known downside of alliance/partner bookings. Same happened to me, CX issued a travel waiver for a storm but BA did not (ticketed on BA) so I couldn't do a thing. If/when your CX flight actually CANCELS, CX will hopefully work to put you on another flight. Until then, SOL.

Regrets, Jamie
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll just hang tight. Got another email

"We are closely monitoring Tropical Cyclone Hato and its potential impact to our flight operations. Currently all flight operations remain normal, but we expect disruptions to flights in and out of Hong Kong on Wednesday, 23 August.

Special ticketing guidelines have been issued, waiving rebooking and rerouting fees; we advise customers to amend your travel plans if possible, to avoid disappointment."

Looks like they know it'll cause a decent amount of disruptions as the eye of the typhoon goes directly over the airport in many of the simulations. I guess just hang tight until I hear otherwise. Any idea what compensation i should expect if I need to stay an extra night and how exactly that all works?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:38 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by TalkingPoint

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll just hang tight. Got another email

"We are closely monitoring Tropical Cyclone Hato and its potential impact to our flight operations. Currently all flight operations remain normal, but we expect disruptions to flights in and out of Hong Kong on Wednesday, 23 August.

Special ticketing guidelines have been issued, waiving rebooking and rerouting fees; we advise customers to amend your travel plans if possible, to avoid disappointment."

Looks like they know it'll cause a decent amount of disruptions as the eye of the typhoon goes directly over the airport in many of the simulations. I guess just hang tight until I hear otherwise. Any idea what compensation i should expect if I need to stay an extra night and how exactly that all works?
Generally, weather = no compensation and I hope you can understand why.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:33 am

Generally, weather = no compensation and I hope you can understand why.

Yup, it's completely out of their control. Last time my flight was cancelled I got rebooked and for some reason my new ticket earned full fare F miles. Here's to hoping I get that again. Not sure if that was just a one time fluke or common when there's mass cancellations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.