Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:47 pm

So I called today trying to find availability on 8/8 or 8/9 from JFK to SIN via HKG in J (I know I will have to wait until last minute for F and that is risky given AS issues with last minute partner awards). I used the Quantas tool to confirm that CX was releasing seats and there was availability both days from EWR and on one of the days from JFK. The agent told me nothing was available and suggested EK. No thanks, as the price to SIN or KUL (actual final destination)using EK J is 105K miles vs 50K on CX. The disadvantage of not using the QF tool is that it does not tell you the number of seats available. Although, I do know the CX flight from EWR to HKG on both 8/8 and 8/9 had multiple J seats available with AS not being able to access any of the seats.

Last edited by ArlingtonTraveler; Jul 25, 2017 at 3:23 pm
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:04 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by dguruswamy
The disadvantage of not using the QF tool is that it does not tell you the number of seats available.
I assume there's one too many not in there.

Can't you ramp up the number of seats asked for in QF FF to ascertain how many seats are available?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: points traveller
Originally Posted by percysmith

Can't you ramp up the number of seats asked for in QF FF to ascertain how many seats are available?
or use Avios tool which states number available?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:59 pm

So I called today trying to find availability on 8/8 or 8/9 from JFK to SIN via HKG in J (I know I will have to wait until last minute for F and that is risky given AS issues with last minute partner awards). I used the Quantas tool to confirm that CX was releasing seats and there was nothing available. The agent told me nothing was available and suggested EK. No thanks, as the price to SIN or KUL (actual final destination)using EK J is 105K miles vs 50K on CX. The disadvantage of not using the QF tool is that it does not tell you the number of seats available. Although, I do know the CX flight from EWR to HKG on both 8/8 and 8/9 had multiple J seats available with AS not being able to access any of the seats.
Quite alarming that AS couldn't see anything as there are 5 J seats on 8/8 (4 on CX 845 and 1 on 899) and at least 12 seats on 8/9 (4 each on CX 899, 841, 831) Even shows 1F seat available on 889, the YVR flight.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by percysmith

JAL website shows number of seat available (up to a max of 4, even if there is more than 4 available). As others have stated there is plenty of J availability on 8/8 and 8/9 from JFK/EWR (especially on the 9th) so it is very worrying that AS is not able to book them.

DAK
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Why can't Alaska just make CX awards bookable online! Quantas and BA can do it
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
They can barely handle JL and EK bookings on their website. And I'm using the word 'handle' very loosely.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:40 am

I am planning to book 4 reward tickets with Cathay, either economy or premium economy: YYC-LAX/SFO-HKG-BKK

When I searched with Alaska website, I saw there are lots of availability for YYC-LAX, from 7.5K and up, is it true that I can pick the flights that require less than 12.5K, in order to be priced as one reward ticket, i.e. 30K or 35K?

I understand that there is $12.5 booking fee for Cathay Pacific, if I need to change the flights outside 60 days range, do I need to pay $12.5 again?

Thanks a lot.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by lingecw
I am planning to book 4 reward tickets with Cathay, either economy or premium economy: YYC-LAX/SFO-HKG-BKK

When I searched with Alaska website, I saw there are lots of availability for YYC-LAX, from 7.5K and up, is it true that I can pick the flights that require less than 12.5K, in order to be priced as one reward ticket, i.e. 30K or 35K?
Answered in the thread a couple weeks ago.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...l#post28559396

The partner free is assessed once.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Qantas
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Cathay, Qantas and BA all use Amadeus for their booking engine. Alaska uses Sabre. So there's a certain amount of work involved that likely both airlines have to commit to. It's notable that AA (also uses Sabre) won't display CX award availability.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA, AS
So I called today trying to find availability on 8/8 or 8/9 from JFK to SIN via HKG in J (I know I will have to wait until last minute for F and that is risky given AS issues with last minute partner awards). I used the Quantas tool to confirm that CX was releasing seats and there was nothing available. The agent told me nothing was available and suggested EK. No thanks, as the price to SIN or KUL (actual final destination)using EK J is 105K miles vs 50K on CX. The disadvantage of not using the QF tool is that it does not tell you the number of seats available. Although, I do know the CX flight from EWR to HKG on both 8/8 and 8/9 had multiple J seats available with AS not being able to access any of the seats.
Have you confirmed the AS agent is using this workaround for flights near midnight?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28160974-post748.html
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Just booked some flights on CX. The avios tool is a lifesaver, definitely would recommend.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:45 pm

Can AS drop a segment on a CX award and reprice, or not?

All - ticketed SGNHKGJFK on CX, 50k in J.

May want to drop the HKGJFK segment before departure and reprice the SGNHKG @ 22.5k in J. Assuming at that point no more SGNHKG awards will be available.

On Emirates, I believe awards have to still be offered on ALL segments in order to add/delete segments. In other words, you are basically throwing out the award and starting from scratch (though there are reports of intrepid agents getting around this).

For Cathay, will Alaska have any trouble dropping just the long-haul segment and re-pricing, without discarding my short haul award?

Thanks - Jamie
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
AS saver space 12.5K (or 5, 7.5, 10 for shorter legs) would need to be available to add it on to a partner award. 20 & 30K are not eligible or it would need a separate award.
It is a bit confusing for me. What is the definition of AS saver award?
For YYC-LAX, I saw spaces available for 7.5K, 10K, 12.5K and more. Are all spaces lower than 12.5K are saver spaces or only 7.5K is considered saver space?

On certain days, the lowest seat is priced as 12.5K, is it a saver space then?

How about the business class, how many points is considered saver space?

Thanks for any help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.