Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:48 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
FCO is by no means a new route. It was launched in 1986. MXP wasn't launched until 2010.

And both FCO and MXP are doing very well with incredible Chinese demand so it wouldn't be surprising that there is not much award inventory.

OP can actually think about BA as BA does not charge YQ/YR for awards on its own metal departing out of HKG (ie it won't be notably more expensive than CX). If you can ticket it as a roundtrip, I think YQ/YR will not be applied on the return sector(s) too.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by hightide
Why are these routings not valid?

CGK-HKG-YVR (stopover)-SEA-LAX (this one I could probably see why as YVR is not the hub for both CX and AS).
CGK-HKG-LAX (stopover)-SEA-PDX or CGK-HKG-LAX (stopover)-PDX-SEA (why can't I layover PDX on the way to SEA or vice versa?)

In the end, I had to choose either CGK-HKG-LAX (stopover)-SEA or CGK-HKG-LAX (stopover)-PDX.

However, I'm glad to be able to do the YVR stopover on my way back from JFK-YVR (stopover)-HKG.
Technically CX stop-over is only allowed in HKG but it would make sense for AS to allow stop-over at the international gateway (LAX), I'm not sure why about YVR on the way out, but PDX would not be allowed. Why they even allowed stop-over in YVR is beyond me since its not an allowed stop-over point for CX to CX transfer. AS metal is to get to the gateway to not add a side trip to PDX.

Last edited by CDKing; Jul 12, 2017 at 7:58 am
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
FCO is by no means a new route. It was launched in 1986. MXP wasn't launched until 2010.

And both FCO and MXP are doing very well with incredible Chinese demand so it wouldn't be surprising that there is not much award inventory.

OP can actually think about BA as BA does not charge YQ/YR for awards on its own metal departing out of HKG (ie it won't be notably more expensive than CX). If you can ticket it as a roundtrip, I think YQ/YR will not be applied on the return sector(s) too.
Ah, thanks for the FCO info. For whatever reason I kept thinking MSP was the first one. It is very hard to find F but we do manage to find J on MSP-HKG though never use the opposite direction.

Also thank you for reminding us HKG government forbids the airlines charge YQ on flights originating from Hong Kong. Need to keep this in mind myself!

Fwiw, AA recently erroneous charged an FTer who contacted HKG regulatory agency to finally get a refund from AA despite the AA CS morons continued denying his claim of refund despite he submitted all the necessary supports (emails from HKG regulatory agency).

This indeed makes BA an option as it would be rather easy to connect at LHR onto most parts of EU.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
HKG-ZRH always has space, even in F too.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Edgerfly
HKG-ZRH always has space, even in F too.
From what I heard this route has not been making money. It may not last for much longer.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC

Since Italy is doing very well, I wonder if CX could give VCE a try in S18.
The same way they have just opened up BCN (seasonal summer route).
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by badgersfly
Hello,
I've been looking for two award J tickets to Italy from US during the summer of '18. Departure point in the US isn't really important as I'm willing to position flight to the appropriate airport. I've basically given up on finding AA, AF, KLM inventory, and I'm not willing to pay BA's fees.
So now I'm focused on going the long way around on Cathay. I seem to have no issue finding inventory from the US to HKG, but finding the HKG to Italy (any airport) seems to be non-existent. Should I assume that this is just a case of summer inventory to popular European destinations being very slim, or is there something else I'm missing?
I'm using the BA website to search.
thanks
Okay, wow, extreme. And will cost you a lot of miles. Personally I'd never do this and I would also take a close look at actually buying a ticket. Right now e.g. JFK-ZRH round trip non-stop business class can be had for ~$2200 for next summer (I searched end may/early june). Non-stop JFK to Rome ~$2800.

For maximum value fly BA via LHR and apply the AARP ($200) and Chase BA credit card (10%) discounts.
<edit> Found that you can fly JFK-LHR-VCE (Venice) in BA J for ~$2200 before applying above discounts. That would be about $1800 after discounts. Hard to argue with that <end edit>

And you will earn miles rather than spend them. So unless you really want to spend a few days in HKG en-route and spend loads-of-miles, I would seriously look into the paying real money option. Unless you have little of that of course.

DAK

Last edited by dkerr; Jul 13, 2017 at 4:51 pm Reason: Added comment about flying into VCE
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by dkerr
Okay, wow, extreme. And will cost you a lot of miles. Personally I'd never do this and I would also take a close look at actually buying a ticket. Right now e.g. JFK-ZRH round trip non-stop business class can be had for ~$2200 for next summer (I searched end may/early june). Non-stop JFK to Rome ~$2800.

For maximum value fly BA via LHR and apply the AARP ($200) and Chase BA credit card (10%) discounts.
<edit> Found that you can fly JFK-LHR-VCE (Venice) in BA J for ~$2200 before applying above discounts. That would be about $1800 after discounts. Hard to argue with that <end edit>

And you will earn miles rather than spend them. So unless you really want to spend a few days in HKG en-route and spend loads-of-miles, I would seriously look into the paying real money option. Unless you have little of that of course.

DAK
DAK - once again your generosity amazes me. Shouldn't we encourage the OP to burn/waste as many miles as possible? Won't this strategy diminish the competition next time you or I are looking for lucrative awards?

Speaking of which, just booked 2F/4J on the same CX flight for a buddy, leaving in a week. Booked with AA but before that I rang AS and they could see the same inventory.

Jamie
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
DAK - once again your generosity amazes me. Shouldn't we encourage the OP to burn/waste as many miles as possible? Won't this strategy diminish the competition next time you or I are looking for lucrative awards?

Speaking of which, just booked 2F/4J on the same CX flight for a buddy, leaving in a week. Booked with AA but before that I rang AS and they could see the same inventory.

Jamie
2F and 4J?! What route? And for when? You're like the CX whisperer
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:49 pm

How far in advance can I book CX using Alaska miles

1. I know Cathay Pacific posts scheduling 360 days in advance and Alaska only 331. If using Alaska miles to book CX flights, do I have to wait until 331 days out or can I do it before?
  2. I assume if I am able to book earlier than 331 days out then I cannot add on an Alaska Airlines flight to my itinerary later. For example, flying LAX-HKG-SGN on CX. Then, once 331 days out, booking DCA-LAX on AS. That won't work, right? I feel like I already know it won't, but I wanted to ask on the 1% chance that I am wrong about this scenario.

Thanks!
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by wahoo09
[LIST=1]
If using Alaska miles to book CX flights, do I have to wait until 331 days out or can I do it before?
You have to wait until AS gets availability.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by wahoo09
  1. I know Cathay Pacific posts scheduling 360 days in advance and Alaska only 331. If using Alaska miles to book CX flights, do I have to wait until 331 days out or can I do it before?
  2. I assume if I am able to book earlier than 331 days out then I cannot add on an Alaska Airlines flight to my itinerary later. For example, flying LAX-HKG-SGN on CX. Then, once 331 days out, booking DCA-LAX on AS. That won't work, right? I feel like I already know it won't, but I wanted to ask on the 1% chance that I am wrong about this scenario.

Thanks!
331 days for AS miles. Just grab whats available and add on later. Due to time zone change, HKG-SGN wont be available until the day after LAX-HKG becomes available. Grab the overwater first and deal with the rest later if not available at the same time.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:16 pm

I can...

Originally Posted by CDKing
331 days for AS miles. Just grab whats available and add on later. Due to time change, HKG-SGN wont be available until the day after LAX-HKG becomes available.
Thanks!

I can add on later and get the flights onto the same ticket?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by reverted
2F and 4J?! What route? And for when? You're like the CX whisperer
JFKHKG approx one week out. Hardly unusual, actually. Flight was F4, so typical that 2 F awards would be available. My buddy is psyched. Even got the 4 kids in the mini-cabin.

Good luck on your next adventure - Jamie
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
331 days for AS miles. Just grab whats available and add on later. Due to time zone change, HKG-SGN wont be available until the day after LAX-HKG becomes available. Grab the overwater first and deal with the rest later if not available at the same time.
FWIW, I called 332 days out, Alaska flights were NOT selling, but AS agent said "let me if I can reach forward and request the space from Cathay" and it worked. As noted, in the past, AS could book awards at the 355 mark despite its own flights not until 331. While that loophole was reported closed, it sounds like the closure wasn't automated, rather agents were instructed not to book forward of the AS window.

Or maybe it was an anomaly. But I DEFINITELY got the CX award ticketed before ANY AS flights were available either from res or on the site.

Jamie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.