Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by pbd456
not sure if hkg jfk yvr is an allowable routing
Nope. its backtracking.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
So backtracking on EK no problem? But backtracking on CX is a no no?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
Are you sure about that? Agent was going to allow me to book SEA-ORD-HKG
If they get it to confirm. I think there is this phrase that has something to do with gift horses.

There is no absolute way to know why somethings are allowed and some are not. Each partnership is individually negotiated so what works for one may not work for another.

For example, JL is the only partner that allows stop-over on intra-regional awards (except wholly within Japan) and CX intra-asia regional no stop-over.

The fact all the intricacies are not published is what make it possible for you to even get away with someone the stuff that will go through. Its more like if the system will price it and confirm it will work. Then hopefully AS wont come back figure it out and place a block stopping it. For instance when CX awards could be pushed through before the 330 day window which was fixed by an AS rep on FT who saw posts about it. Or like when one could get an agent to use the "old" system to force through EK awards that weren't really supposed to be available to AS.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Originally Posted by CDKing
If they get it to confirm. I think there is this phrase that has something to do with gift horses.
That or just being a 75k... AS agents are notorious for breaking the rules for us. I once had a HKG-LAX-PDX-SEA award connecting back from Hong Kong. The check in agent in LA insisted I had to stay with this itinerary because I was on an award ticket. Phone agents on the partner desk said the same, and so did the kiosk.

When I got to the gate on a flight to Seattle, I asked the gate agent working the LAX-SEA flight if I could get on to get home because I was tired. Her colleague overheard my itinerary and said that the routing I had was probably cheaper, and I'd have to keep it. Then I said "but I'm 75k so don't I get same day changes?" She said "75k? Why didn't you tell us??? That's the first thing you should always tell us. We break all the rules for you guys." 😂
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Ended up booking a F redemption on CX HKG to JFK. Availability showed up finally within two weeks of departure. I was the only one in the entire F cabin, so kinda silly they did not free up award space in advance of the two weeks given they had sold no seats.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: points traveller
Originally Posted by Red259
Ended up booking a F redemption on CX HKG to JFK. Availability showed up finally within two weeks of departure. I was the only one in the entire F cabin, so kinda silly they did not free up award space in advance of the two weeks given they had sold no seats.
nice - which flight?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Red259
You really think revenue F books far in advance?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:43 pm

Hello,
I've been looking for two award J tickets to Italy from US during the summer of '18. Departure point in the US isn't really important as I'm willing to position flight to the appropriate airport. I've basically given up on finding AA, AF, KLM inventory, and I'm not willing to pay BA's fees.
So now I'm focused on going the long way around on Cathay. I seem to have no issue finding inventory from the US to HKG, but finding the HKG to Italy (any airport) seems to be non-existent. Should I assume that this is just a case of summer inventory to popular European destinations being very slim, or is there something else I'm missing?
I'm using the BA website to search.
thanks
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
You really think revenue F books far in advance?
Not only that, the passengers with revenue tickets often change plans last minute.

When we boarded our HKG-LAX flight earlier this year, the FA told us we could sit anywhere we liked as no other passenger this flight. I thought there was one other passenger. The FA confirmed that was, right up till the morning but the passenger changed plan.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by badgersfly
Hello,
I've been looking for two award J tickets to Italy from US during the summer of '18. Departure point in the US isn't really important as I'm willing to position flight to the appropriate airport. I've basically given up on finding AA, AF, KLM inventory, and I'm not willing to pay BA's fees.
So now I'm focused on going the long way around on Cathay. I seem to have no issue finding inventory from the US to HKG, but finding the HKG to Italy (any airport) seems to be non-existent. Should I assume that this is just a case of summer inventory to popular European destinations being very slim, or is there something else I'm missing?
I'm using the BA website to search.
thanks
You may also need to have an European position flight. HKG-MSP, HKG-LHR, HKG-CDG are business-heavy routes. No idea on the newly open FCO.

Try HKG-ZRH which is reportedly having the lightest traffic. DUS too.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
You may also need to have an European position flight. HKG-MSP, HKG-LHR, HKG-CDG are business-heavy routes. No idea on the newly open FCO.

Try HKG-ZRH which is reportedly having the lightest traffic. DUS too.
Thanks. I have found ZRH inventory, but I'm trying my best not to have to position on both ends (especially if I'm going the "wrong" way around the globe). Both FCO and MXP are non-existent.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Thanks. I have found ZRH inventory, but I'm trying my best not to have to position on both ends (especially if I'm going the "wrong" way around the globe). Both FCO and MXP are non-existent.
Just go with BA. Yes the fuel surcharge stinks but you pay double for CX since US to Europe is 2 awards (so 4 one way awards for 2 people). Or just pay cash for the tickets. Well unless you have so many miles you don't know what to do with them.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
Just go with BA. Yes the fuel surcharge stinks but you pay double for CX since US to Europe is 2 awards (so 4 one way awards for 2 people). Or just pay cash for the tickets. Well unless you have so many miles you don't know what to do with them.
That's a hard pill to swallow. BA biz is terrible in my experience so paying them for the experience and burning miles is unappealing. I do have a fair amount of miles but it's all the extra time spent flying that is unappealing about cx.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
That's a hard pill to swallow. BA biz is terrible in my experience so paying them for the experience and burning miles is unappealing. I do have a fair amount of miles but it's all the extra time spent flying that is unappealing about cx.
So why not BA F?

Surprised there is a fair bit of F inventory floating around; guess it's due to their YQ
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:32 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Why are these routings not valid?

CGK-HKG-YVR (stopover)-SEA-LAX (this one I could probably see why as YVR is not the hub for both CX and AS).
CGK-HKG-LAX (stopover)-SEA-PDX or CGK-HKG-LAX (stopover)-PDX-SEA (why can't I layover PDX on the way to SEA or vice versa?)

In the end, I had to choose either CGK-HKG-LAX (stopover)-SEA or CGK-HKG-LAX (stopover)-PDX.

However, I'm glad to be able to do the YVR stopover on my way back from JFK-YVR (stopover)-HKG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.