Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by richh1833
Wanted some clarification as I've received this information from two different CSR.

I currently have 2 tickets JNB-HKG(stop)-JFK. Both booked in F but one is a earlier flight and one is a later flight.

CSRs have confirmed to me that I'm able to change my flights once the ticket has commenced when I'm in HKG. They said that since I'm booked F all the way through it shouldn't be a problem to change dates or flight as long as the carrier/class/destination/origin stay the same.

Can anyone confirm?
AS award rules state no changes to award ticket after the first leg has commenced.. so YMMV
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:29 am
Formerly richh1833

Programs: QF P1, BA GGL, AS GMVP
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
AS award rules state no changes to award ticket after the first leg has commenced.. so YMMV
Do you have link for this?

I've been reading this but I can't see any mention of it:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...onditions.aspx
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Do you have link for this?

I've been reading this but I can't see any mention of it:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...onditions.aspx
There are a lot of unwritten rules when it comes to AS miles. Sometimes its a good thing some times its not.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
This has been my experience. Last year, I attempted to change a flight during a multi-day stop over in HKG and no dice with any agents I spoke with.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Oh, HCM. Got it. But they haven't changed the airport code.

In fairness, my flight in a few hours isn't to Idelwild, it's JFK 😉
Good thing you are not flying Bombay to Leningrad (via Saigon)
Old Aug 28, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG -> MVP -> now nothing, DL SM, Global Entry
Originally Posted by azepine00
Good thing you are not flying Bombay to Leningrad (via Saigon)
Reminds me of an old Soviet-era joke; an elderly man was applying for some program or other and the Soviet bureaucrat was asking him some basic questions:

-Where were you born? "St. Petersburg"
-Where did you go to school? "Petrograd"
-Where do you live now? "Leningrad"
-Where would you like to live? "St. Petersburg"

Perhaps he lived long enough to get his wish!
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by gpeso8
This has been my experience. Last year, I attempted to change a flight during a multi-day stop over in HKG and no dice with any agents I spoke with.
You can usually change the day of travel (I recently changed a layover from 20 hours to 360 days, during the HKG layover), but you can't change the class of service (i.e. J to F).
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:31 pm
Formerly richh1833

Originally Posted by gpeso8
What changes were you trying to make if you don't mind me asking? Was it a change to a different flight or was it just time and date?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
What changes were you trying to make if you don't mind me asking? Was it a change to a different flight or was it just time and date?
Attempting to shorten a multi-day stopover at HKG while in Hong Kong, same class of service, no luck with two agents, both didn't want to touch it since I flew the first segment, didn't press on as it didn't matter much.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:15 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K
FWIW - I've booked 5 R/Ts LAXBKK J class in the last 30 days. 3 of these on same flights there and back. Ignoring websites simply calling for availability 331 out scanning a few days at a time. Didn't get the exact dates I wanted but within a day in all cases. This is for travel June/July 2018. Planning a year out is new territory for me but If that's what it takes it's I'll do it.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:25 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Doesn't really have to be a year out - could be a week out like a roundtrip HKG-ORD for family that I just grASbbed
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:33 pm
Formerly richh1833

Originally Posted by Brianblanco
FWIW - I've booked 5 R/Ts LAXBKK J class in the last 30 days. 3 of these on same flights there and back. Ignoring websites simply calling for availability 331 out scanning a few days at a time. Didn't get the exact dates I wanted but within a day in all cases. This is for travel June/July 2018. Planning a year out is new territory for me but If that's what it takes it's I'll do it.
Yeah I've been checking everyday on KVS/JL/BA/QF. I also have expert flyer setup to see if seats decrease due to purchases or redemption. Seeing that it's waitlisted for Asia Miles I don't think AS has much for a chance for my HKG-JFK flight until a couple weeks before departure. Unfortunately, my stopover in HKG is about four months it doesn't look promising if it's on an agents whim whether I'm able to change tickets.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:53 am

Yeah I've been checking everyday on KVS/JL/BA/QF. I also have expert flyer setup to see if seats decrease due to purchases or redemption. Seeing that it's waitlisted for Asia Miles I don't think AS has much for a chance for my HKG-JFK flight until a couple weeks before departure. Unfortunately, my stopover in HKG is about four months it doesn't look promising if it's on an agents whim whether I'm able to change tickets.
The flight stating waitlist for AsiaMiles members is not necessarily a bad thing. Does not mean that people are actually waitlisting, means that CX is willing to let a AM member waitlist. That suggests that CX feels like they might open seats for an AM member eventually. If no AM members actually waitlist then this is a good sign as CX might eventually open it for partners. Well maybe, who knows!

DAK
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:32 am
Formerly richh1833

Originally Posted by dkerr
The flight stating waitlist for AsiaMiles members is not necessarily a bad thing. Does not mean that people are actually waitlisting, means that CX is willing to let a AM member waitlist. That suggests that CX feels like they might open seats for an AM member eventually. If no AM members actually waitlist then this is a good sign as CX might eventually open it for partners. Well maybe, who knows!

DAK
That's my analysis as well! At least its not locked out. I did get a 3rd confirmation from another CSR that changes can be made once travel has commenced so perhaps rules have changed...
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:10 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by dkerr
I'm still allowed to waitlist 23/12 CX580 and CX582 HKG-CTS on AM. EF shows J0 Y0 for both flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.