Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dkerr

They cancel flights. HKG airport reduce flight movements and so airlines have to cancel. A few years ago I had a JFK-HKG-SIN flight in F. CX canceled 2 of the 4 scheduled JFK flights on my travel day, fortunately mine was one they kept. I checked in online and went to the airport which of course has long lines of affected passengers. I was okay I thought but when I got to the counter to check my bag the agent refused, stating that they were not allowed to check in any passengers making a connection in HKG as the airport was in a mess. I pointed out I was already checked in and could just go to the gate if I choose but that my bag needed to be checked. That floored them so they called the station manager over who stated that HKG had told them not to check any connecting bags because of huge logjam in HKG. So I told them to just check my bag as far as HKG - I had a 3 hour connection and told him I would collect and recheck my bag. He agreed to that warning me that I might not make my connection.

In HKG it took over an hour to get through immigration. Than almost another hour for my bag to appear. I got upstairs and checked in for SIN where they apologized that their lounges were full and suggested which one I should go to. But that one had no showers, so I asked where I could go get a shower... the sent me to the QF lounge which was a case study in tranquility amid the chaos outside.

Flight to SIN departed about 30 minutes late thanks to logjam in baggage handling.

DAK
Wow, sounds like you got La Guardia style customer service at HKG - I didn't think that was possible. Even with some irrops, that place usually functions better than that.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
Wow, sounds like you got La Guardia style customer service at HKG - I didn't think that was possible. Even with some irrops, that place usually functions better than that.
You know CX made the best of a bad situation. A typhoon had gone through the region and caused major disruption. Canceled flights caused a logjam of connecting baggage that had nowhere to go, so I can hardly blame them for not wanting to add more bags to the problem. My only disappointment was the absence of any kind of fast-track for premium passengers at HKG immigration. I don't know if that has changed or not but I was not the only premium pax standing in line wondering where the fast-track was. I and my bags both made it to SIN essentially on time which is more than can be said for 1000's of other passengers affected by the typhoon.

But it is another lesson in why it is best to avoid tight connections. 3+ hours makes for time to enjoy first class lounges, or in cases like this cope with the unexpected.

DAK
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
My only disappointment was the absence of any kind of fast-track for premium passengers at HKG immigration. I don't know if that has changed or not but I was not the only premium pax standing in line wondering where the fast-track was.
The one thing about HKG is CX doesn't do the LH at FRA/BA at LHR/AF at CDG/AA at LAX thing where there's a premium departure service for F pax (dedicated immigration channels, etc.). Even TG at BKK has carts for F pax. CX does a lot of things well, but this isn't one of them. Don't know if you would have been treated better if you were MP Diamond/Diamond +, though I assume that might be the case...

One of the reasons CX might not do this is unlike LH and AF, you can get their F awards relatively easy out of random partner programs like AS.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:17 am

FWIW HKG is supposed to be introducing a premium security line, but not for immigration. Semi-frequent travelers who transit through HK should register their passport to use the Frequent Visitor E-Channel. You'll get to use automated immigration lanes which are nearly as fast those residents use.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:54 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

One of the reasons CX might not do this is unlike LH and AF, you can get their F awards relatively easy out of random partner programs like AS.
Not sure how true this is anymore, between general evaporation of CX saver rate awards, and AS not seeing them when they are available
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soy
Not sure how true this is anymore, between general evaporation of CX saver rate awards, and AS not seeing them when they are available
Try getting an AF F award using DL SkyPesos and get back to me when you get the award. Or maybe try booking LX F using anything other than M&M and having Senator or HON status.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: BAEC, Mileage Plus, Aeroplan, SPG
Hi everyone.. anyone know what is up with CX award availability between HKG & DXB? I looked at tht leg a few times over several months ago, and like 6 of 7 days in a given week had ample J and economy availability. All of that totally seems to have vanished completely. Not even economy fares! Not sure if there is an issue or something.. I've been looking on BA search engine
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aba_bab
Hi everyone.. anyone know what is up with CX award availability between HKG & DXB? I looked at tht leg a few times over several months ago, and like 6 of 7 days in a given week had ample J and economy availability. All of that totally seems to have vanished completely. Not even economy fares! Not sure if there is an issue or something.. I've been looking on BA search engine
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...ne-2018-a.html
Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:37 am

I added IAD to the list of east coast US gateways on CX in the wiki.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Hilton Diamond
Hi Guys,
I posted this situation in CX forum also but it applies here more i think.
Hey guys,
I have an Alaska partner booking on CX departing LAX on sunday afteroon and arriving HKG on Monday, Sep 17, 7 pm and connecting onto JNB about 5 hours later on same ticket. Got email to check-in to the flight LAX - HKG (as within 48 hours window).

1) Should I proactively check-in so not bumped from this flight LAX - HKG? If I check in, read reports here that cannot do anything if flight is subsequently cancelled. so risky maybe?
2) Should I call CX call center to ask for routing via some other carrier to JNB
3) Sit still and wait for them to cancel? then do something.
4) Cant find any alternate routing on Alaska partners and not sure what to do.

Thanks.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ketelone
Hi Guys,<br />I posted this situation in CX forum also but it applies here more i think.<br />Hey guys,<br />I have an Alaska partner booking on CX departing LAX on sunday afteroon and arriving HKG on Monday, Sep 17, 7 pm and connecting onto JNB about 5 hours later on same ticket. Got email to check-in to the flight LAX - HKG (as within 48 hours window).<br /><br />1) Should I proactively check-in so not bumped from this flight LAX - HKG? If I check in, read reports here that cannot do anything if flight is subsequently cancelled. so risky maybe?<br />2) Should I call CX call center to ask for routing via some other carrier to JNB<br />3) Sit still and wait for them to cancel? then do something.<br />4) Cant find any alternate routing on Alaska partners and not sure what to do.<br /><br />Thanks.
<br /><br />With the hurricane coming I am afraid if CX is canceled, you would still not be able to leave for JNB. CX would put you on next available flight should that happens. No, I doubt they would put you on SA which might be the only other carrier on the HKG-JNB route.<br />Traveling to SE Asia in typhoon season carries the same risk as traveling to Caribbeans in typhoon season, or for that matter, this weekend to North Carolina...<br /><br />AS redemption is partner specific, there is nothing you can do.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by ketelone
Hi Guys,
I posted this situation in CX forum also but it applies here more i think.
Hey guys,
I have an Alaska partner booking on CX departing LAX on sunday afteroon and arriving HKG on Monday, Sep 17, 7 pm and connecting onto JNB about 5 hours later on same ticket. Got email to check-in to the flight LAX - HKG (as within 48 hours window).

1) Should I proactively check-in so not bumped from this flight LAX - HKG? If I check in, read reports here that cannot do anything if flight is subsequently cancelled. so risky maybe?
2) Should I call CX call center to ask for routing via some other carrier to JNB
3) Sit still and wait for them to cancel? then do something.
4) Cant find any alternate routing on Alaska partners and not sure what to do.

Thanks.
Right now it is Saturday flights from the US to HKG that are being canceled. And Sunday flights outbound from HKG to US. It is looking rather like CX is is going to have all their Saturday HKG to US bound aircraft sit on the ground at US airport for ~24 hours so they can resume normal operation for flights departing US on Sunday. So I think you are going to be fine.

DAK
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
You obviously do not have any idea what is like when a typhoon hits the region.

I suggest you to check out the current typhoon that is coming hard on Philippines, while Hong Kong may be spared for a direct hit. Still, the Observatory has warned a No.10 may be hoisted on Sunday.

Google it what wind speed of No.10 would be.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right now it is Saturday flights from the US to HKG that are being canceled. And Sunday flights outbound from HKG to US. It is looking rather like CX is is going to have all their Saturday HKG to US bound aircraft sit on the ground at US airport for ~24 hours so they can resume normal operation for flights departing US on Sunday. So I think you are going to be fine.

DAK
Local news reported that No.10 may be hoisted on Sunday even though Hong Kong may be spared from direct hit. It is almost a repeat of last year's hit by Hato in late August.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:10 am

Hi, does Alaska have access to the same award space as Asia Miles? I was looking for J award space on the CX MAD-HKG nonstop service, either
CX 320 MAD-HKG; or
CX 315 HKG-MAD

I can find award seats on Asia Miles but not on BA, which I know is where people usually check. I recall reading something about CX making award space to other partners as married segments, which would work for me as the final destination is MNL but, even with that option, BA will not show anything on CX (QR does come up for example). Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.