Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2018, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by allenmchan
I called in today to try my first booking CX HKG to SIN.
Agent said that she doesn't see any seats available for rewards.
Weird thing is that she said that i would be on AS website through the search portal if there are CX availability.
I don't think that is true because I looked ahead by 4-6 months and also 6-12 months and still only see JL availabilities.
Is there a magic word or phrase i need to tell the reps to help them search inventory?

You got a misinformed agent on the phone. The Alaska website never shows CX availability. There is no magic word- though sometimes having checked for availability yourself and feeding the agent specific flight numbers etc helps. Always check on BA, JL OR QF sites. Also, might be worth your time calling back and having another agent check for availability

Last edited by CedarSwampThing; Sep 2, 2018 at 5:23 am Reason: word mix up
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:59 pm

Hi, I have a SFO-HKG-HND award booked with the long haul in F, but the short haul in PE. I’ll have a few days of stop over in HK. Does anyone know if I can request an upgrade to the ticketed cabin when checking in HK for the Tokyo bound flight? Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pointsifu
Hi, I have a SFO-HKG-HND award booked with the long haul in F, but the short haul in PE. I’ll have a few days of stop over in HK. Does anyone know if I can request an upgrade to the ticketed cabin when checking in HK for the Tokyo bound flight? Thanks in advance.
You will need to monitor for J space availability yourself. If space opens up, you will need to call AS to reissue your ticket. Any difference in fees & taxes will need to be paid plus the $125 change fee if you don't have a waiver. The check-in Agents in HKG will not be able to change/upgrade your ticket.

James
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:36 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
The check-in Agents in HKG will not be able to change/upgrade your ticket.
An exception has been reported upthread Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later . The poster was EXP though.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
An exception has been reported upthread Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later . The poster was EXP though.
I have no doubt that partner Airlines can change ticketed reservations. QF did just that for me when my F award flight DFW-SYD was cancelled due to mechanical. However, that was IRROPS. Generally, partner airlines are not too eager to make changes to award reservations not on their own ticket stock and won't be knowledgeable on the intricacies of the award.

The poster may have success with a sympathetic agent since he already reserved F but I wouldn't count on it.

It is nice to see an exception for the poster you referenced. However, we don't know the underlying details. Was it done specifically as a courtesy to the family or was it done to accommodate more revenue passengers or standbys?

James
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:15 am
Formerly richh1833

Programs: QF P1, BA GGL, AS GMVP
Any experiences with booking EU-HKG post 22/6? I checked every date between 6/9 - mid jan and I only had 1 J from LGW-HKG. LHR-HKG had 0 J for those couple hundred days.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:16 pm

Hi guys, I have a quick question about how to amend a Cathay Pacific award booking using Alaska. I've been planning a trip to Africa and want to book (JNB/CPT) --> HKG --> LAX on CX First.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find award space on the african leg of the journey, so a few weeks ago I booked the second segment from HKG-->LAX-->SFO in F to lock in the seat, with the intention of changing the ticket and adding the african segment later.

That said, today I see that CX has married segment award availability from JNB all the way to LAX available - but in PE. Ideally, I'd like to add the first JNB--> HKG PE segment to my ticket, and keep my first class HKG-->LAX segment.

When I called Alaska, the agent was able to find the JNB-->HKG-->LAX availability, though she told me she couldn't add the JNB-->HKG segment to my ticket (even though it seems like it should satisfy the married segment logic). Does anyone know if this is a HUCA type thing, or if this is actually impossible to do? And if it is HUCA, is there any specific language I should use to make it happen?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:00 am

CX just made an equipment change from A350 to regional 777 which has no PE, and downgraded me from PE to Economy. Is there anything I can do?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:50 am

you can get a refund.
CX just made an equipment change from A350 to regional 777 which has no PE, and downgraded me from PE to Economy. Is there anything I can do?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by kaiotes
you can get a refund.
From whom? The longhaul segment's still in J, so AS isn't going to refund anything. Do you mean ask from CX at the airport?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I'd call AS and see if the partner desk will reach out to CX and ask for the release of either a J seat on your flight or a PE seat on another flight. A couple of weeks ago, I got notice that my wife's F flight HKG-LAX had been downgraded. AS reached out and got her on the later flight that has F. I'd also keep monitoring for release of a J seat.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
I'd call AS and see if the partner desk will reach out to CX and ask for the release of either a J seat on your flight or a PE seat on another flight. A couple of weeks ago, I got notice that my wife's F flight HKG-LAX had been downgraded. AS reached out and got her on the later flight that has F. I'd also keep monitoring for release of a J seat.
Thanks. I gave them a call and they put in a request for an earlier flight that I actually prefer. Will see if that works.

On a different note, I'll be arriving HKG on coming Monday morning when a typhoon is predicted to hit. How does CX usually handles this? Would the flight be usually diverted or just delay taking off?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

On a different note, I'll be arriving HKG on coming Monday morning when a typhoon is predicted to hit. How does CX usually handles this? Would the flight be usually diverted or just delay taking off?
Might ask in the CX forum where all the usual regular CX fliers live, instead of where far less frequent AS fliers are cashing in occasional CX awards?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...polo-club-487/

PS: First page of the forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...pt-2018-a.html
jinglish and pointsifu like this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:42 pm

Thanks. I gave them a call and they put in a request for an earlier flight that I actually prefer. Will see if that works.

They cancel flights. HKG airport reduce flight movements and so airlines have to cancel. A few years ago I had a JFK-HKG-SIN flight in F. CX canceled 2 of the 4 scheduled JFK flights on my travel day, fortunately mine was one they kept. I checked in online and went to the airport which of course has long lines of affected passengers. I was okay I thought but when I got to the counter to check my bag the agent refused, stating that they were not allowed to check in any passengers making a connection in HKG as the airport was in a mess. I pointed out I was already checked in and could just go to the gate if I choose but that my bag needed to be checked. That floored them so they called the station manager over who stated that HKG had told them not to check any connecting bags because of huge logjam in HKG. So I told them to just check my bag as far as HKG - I had a 3 hour connection and told him I would collect and recheck my bag. He agreed to that warning me that I might not make my connection.

In HKG it took over an hour to get through immigration. Than almost another hour for my bag to appear. I got upstairs and checked in for SIN where they apologized that their lounges were full and suggested which one I should go to. But that one had no showers, so I asked where I could go get a shower... the sent me to the QF lounge which was a case study in tranquility amid the chaos outside.

Flight to SIN departed about 30 minutes late thanks to logjam in baggage handling.

DAK

Last edited by dkerr; Sep 11, 2018 at 9:34 pm Reason: spelling errors
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
From whom? The longhaul segment's still in J, so AS isn't going to refund anything. Do you mean ask from CX at the airport?
I mean you can cancel your whole ticket without fees. Don't think you want that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.