Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:10 pm

Cathay Award using Alaska Miles

Is it possible to book DXB-HKG-IAD on one award on Cathay using Alaska miles? Is Dubai considered Asia? Also, am I allowed a stopover in HKG?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
You missed an entire megathread on CX awards on the front page of this board.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Wow I was nervous. Need to fly HKG JFK next month, haven’t seen a CX F award seat for weeks. Scattered business here and there, one F opened up today Dec 19 and grabbed it.

what is going on with CX awards lately, Asia has been pretty scarce..

mb
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: Alaska, Aeroplan, MArriott
I Have a CX F flight coming up ORD-HKG-BKK. I was able to select my seat for the ORD-HKG leg no problem, but the HKG-BKK leg shows full cabin, even though I've confirmed there are two award seats still available. Short flight, but if I can avoid the middle easily why not. Any ideas why this is/how best to remedy?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
Wow I was nervous. Need to fly HKG JFK next month, haven’t seen a CX F award seat for weeks. Scattered business here and there, one F opened up today Dec 19 and grabbed it.

what is going on with CX awards lately, Asia has been pretty scarce..

mb
Program changes as of 22 June. It likely affects how CX is posting partner availability. That and they've been pulling F off ex-NA.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...ne-2018-a.html
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by I Ron Butterfly
I Have a CX F flight coming up ORD-HKG-BKK. I was able to select my seat for the ORD-HKG leg no problem, but the HKG-BKK leg shows full cabin, even though I've confirmed there are two award seats still available. Short flight, but if I can avoid the middle easily why not. Any ideas why this is/how best to remedy?
Call the call center and select by phone. It sounds like some seats are being blocked from online selection (to be given to elites) rather all seats already selected.Call center can probably assign to you manually.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Nazdoom
Call the call center and select by phone. It sounds like some seats are being blocked from online selection (to be given to elites) rather all seats already selected.Call center can probably assign to you manually.
I've had success with calling as well. 1A was blocked for elites online, but they didn't have any issue assigning me the seat when I called.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: Alaska, Aeroplan, MArriott
Yeah that's what I thought was strange - got 1A for the first leg no problem!

Thanks for the answers!
Old Nov 20, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
I've had success with calling as well. 1A was blocked for elites online, but they didn't have any issue assigning me the seat when I called.
I flew CX F HKG-LAX on November 7th. I assigned myself 1A online. There was no need to call. The time before that there was only 3 in F and I had the entire right isle all to myself.

James
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I flew CX F HKG-LAX on November 7th. I assigned myself 1A online. There was no need to call. The time before that there was only 3 in F and I had the entire right isle all to myself.

James
Keep in mind 2A means less foot traffic than 1A (assuming both are occupied). While 1A is nice, every time 2A needs something you'll see/hear the FA walk by. This drives me nuts. I'm sure when I'm in 2A, the passenger in 1A resents my appetite.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Keep in mind 2A means less foot traffic than 1A (assuming both are occupied). While 1A is nice, every time 2A needs something you'll see/hear the FA walk by. This drives me nuts. I'm sure when I'm in 2A, the passenger in 1A resents my appetite.
Yes, I am aware that 2A is the quietest for foot traffic. I tend to sleep very well (too well, I slept through breakfast HKG-BOS) in-flight so it doesn't bother me in the least. The Ultra-long flights in F feel way too short.

James
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I stopped having to go to Hong Kong, and have not had to redeem CX in awhile. Do they still release F far out in advance and sometimes last minute? Is the formula on AS still only releasing one seat at a time? I’m still trying to decide if I should stockpile AS miles or not? I keep getting conflicting reports, but if CX F and JL F is still available for redemptions through AS I will still continue to stockpile. Thanks
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My biggest concern about stockpiling would be devaluation, more than availability.

Alaska is cutting left and right to be "competitive" or "in line" with other airlines. "In line" with other US-based airlines means that those F tickets on JAL and CX have to cost a lot more miles...

I guess I don't know what you mean by "stockpile". I would stockpile them if it's a choice between earning an equal amount of AA or AS miles -- I doubt that a devaluation will make them LESS valuable than AA. At worst, they would probably be equal.

But if it's a choice between earning significantly more AA miles vs less AS miles... and choosing AS because they are "more valuable"... I think it makes sense up until you have an amount of miles that you might redeem in a year or so. Past that... diversifying to different programs probably has more value?

Just my opinion, of course. Hopefully I'm wrong and AS miles will continue to have great value compared to other US-based programs for years to come.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
I stopped having to go to Hong Kong, and have not had to redeem CX in awhile. Do they still release F far out in advance and sometimes last minute? Is the formula on AS still only releasing one seat at a time? I’m still trying to decide if I should stockpile AS miles or not? I keep getting conflicting reports, but if CX F and JL F is still available for redemptions through AS I will still continue to stockpile. Thanks
DP: I booked 1F+2J JL awards last week. Definitely still available.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 1:08 am

CX mile redemption

Hi, I want to know if I can redeem multicity on the phone using Alaksa miles?

Is there any way I can look for the route? I want to go to Johannesburg from Hong Kong.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.