Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by baclubflyer
You should get the partner booking fee refunded too, that was what I was told by AS today when I asked what is refunded and what is not. Basically they put you in a position as if you never made the booking in the first place.
The rep was incorrect. Partner fee is non-refundable even within 24 hours from booking.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by CDKing
The rep was incorrect. Partner fee is non-refundable even within 24 hours from booking.
It's also the only fee that is never waived for MVPG+.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 11:10 am

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by banffflyr
And to confirm TLV was priced as a Africa / India / Middle East destination (e.g. 62.5K in Biz, 70K in First)?
Yup 70K in F
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I tried to search for it and did not find an answer.

I know that AS releases availability 330 days out, but looking on Quantas, I can see availability almost tothe end of March. My question i, can we call AS and get these booked now, or, do we have to wait for the 330? Thanks.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mumum17
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I tried to search for it and did not find an answer.

I know that AS releases availability 330 days out, but looking on Quantas, I can see availability almost tothe end of March. My question i, can we call AS and get these booked now, or, do we have to wait for the 330? Thanks.
No. AS hasn't had this ability for years. You will need to wait, unlike Qantas (no u) or BA.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
No. AS hasn't had this ability for years. You will need to wait, unlike Qantas (no u) or BA.
Thanks for the quick response and the spell check !
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Avis First,
Last minute booking

Does anyone know if there is any blocks on booking or changing award flights within 5 days of departure? I know the JAL search does not allow searches this close in, but if I see space via Qantas search will I be able to call in and book or change the award? Want to make sure I can keep searching closer into departure for elusive F space.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Reignman40
Does anyone know if there is any blocks on booking or changing award flights within 5 days of departure? I know the JAL search does not allow searches this close in, but if I see space via Qantas search will I be able to call in and book or change the award? Want to make sure I can keep searching closer into departure for elusive F space.
Yes, you can change close-in (and if you're MVPG, you will only pay any additional taxes due, no $125 change fee).
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:36 pm

Hi first time to try to redeem the award with CX and is it allow to book Vancouver to Hong Kong (stopover) then to Tokyo in one ticket?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Cathay Pacific Rewards - Do Alaska have access to Full Inventory?

I am looking into booking a reward flight using Alaska miles for a flight from SFO to MEL via Hong Kong for March 2018.

I am having some issues with the MEL - HKG leg, I am trying to get the same leg that a colleague has booked using BA Avios Rewards.

There are three flights a day from HKG to Mel...

I called Alaska and they cannot see the following flight at all - we are not even getting into availability:

CX0105 Departing at at 00:05

They can see the other two departures on that day.

Are certain flights withheld from Alaska by Cathay?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Myself, I haven't had issues booking CX. Have a flight tomorrow even ^

I have heard flights departing near midnight are hard to get- perhaps have the agent try the day before?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Little Animal
Hi first time to try to redeem the award with CX and is it allow to book Vancouver to Hong Kong (stopover) then to Tokyo in one ticket?
Yes. Japan counts as Asia for award booking and stop over in Hong Kong is allowed on all CX awards departing North America.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Alaska said they cant see see the flight in question.....

There is availability in Coach, PE and Business.

I called once on the day of release to Alaska, i could always try calling again
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:08 pm

Thanks CDKing, hopefully I can find the availability in F class
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:31 am

Cathay Pacific Rewards - Do Alaska have access to Full Inventory?
I am looking into booking a reward flight using Alaska miles for a flight from SFO to MEL via Hong Kong for March 2018.

I am having some issues with the MEL - HKG leg, I am trying to get the same leg that a colleague has booked using BA Avios Rewards.

There are three flights a day from HKG to Mel...

I called Alaska and they cannot see the following flight at all - we are not even getting into availability:

CX0105 Departing at at 00:05

They can see the other two departures on that day.

Are certain flights withheld from Alaska by Cathay?
This is a KNOWN PROBLEM in the AS system that is used to look up CX flights.

I battled this problem for weeks when trying to book my CX award SEA-HKG.

The AS System for finding CX award flights cannot see flights ~12:00AM when using the default search mode.

Here are the notes that I took when talking to CS:

"Just Cathay - Putting in the hour With Direct Access - CX then load that, there is a box for hour - 1AM"

This means: Tell the CS agent when using "Direct Access" to chose CX, then choose "load" then they will see a box for "hour." Enter 1AM in the "hour" box and then they will be able to see the 12:00AM flight.

I hope this helps.

-j

Last edited by jopalenc; Apr 12, 2017 at 7:13 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.